Winging it: Pizza Tartine

by Khushboo on April 24, 2013

Ever since I started working from home at the start of the year, 2 perks I have enjoyed are:

1. A flexible work schedule:
  2. Not packing lunches

These days I take a much more methodological approach to lunch called “Winging it” (insert sarcasm ;)).  Despite having a fully-fledged kitchen at my disposal, my lunches now are probably even quicker and more basic than before. I usually work out right before lunch so I just want to eat ASAP.  As long as we’re well-stocked with healthy ingredients, I can usually almost come up with something decent and quick…otherwise there’s always eggs!

After my run on Monday, I had pizza on the brain. While there’s no chance I’d whip up a homemade base in the middle of the afternoon, I managed to satisfy my craving with Pizza Toast i.e. all the flavors of pizza without the necessary labor.  For the sake of sounding fancy, let’s call it a Pizza Tartine instead.

photo-33

I told you my lunches were basic…so basic that I was hesitant to even blog about it.  However because it was one of those “This is too delicious to not post about” lunches, here goes:

Pizza Tartine – serves 1

Ingredients

• 2 slices wholegrain bread, toasted (I used rye)
  • 3-4 tablespoons Marinara sauce
  • 2-3 tablespoons grated cheese (I used cheddar)

Method

Spread marinara sauce across toast, top with cheese.  Grill in the oven till the cheese has melted.

2013-04-22 15.01.28

Especially after a weekend of non-stop eating out, it was nice to nutritiously satisfy the craving.  Who says pizza and unhealthy always go hand-in-hand?

What’s for lunch today?

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig April 24, 2013 at 2:33 pm

There is nothing that makes my eyes glaze over like a recipe with 15+ ingredients, so hooray for keeping it simple!

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Hahah you and me both…anything longer than 10 ingredients and I have already clicked over ;)!

rosh April 24, 2013 at 3:39 pm

now im cravingg pizzaaa. tottaly making this tonight, also i LOVE the ghetto fab thug food blog – hillariouss.

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Woo lemme know how much you love it…because I know you will ;)!

Maia Sethna April 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Khushboo! This looks so delicious, I am always trying to suppress my pizza cravings! This is a great idea. Question – did you use homemade marinara sauce? Or store bought? xo

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I used homemade – luckily we had some in the fridge :)!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 24, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Umm I love this idea! Why have I never done this before?

Today I’m getting lunch at work because the chef made a new spring/summer menu, so I want to try as much of it as possible before my last day (tomorrow). I think I’m going to get the vegan BLT made with tempeh today!

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 5:30 pm

Ooh I don’t eat pork so the idea of a vegan BLT sounds fab :)!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 24, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Gotta love the simple lunches! One thing I love about being a student is that 90% of my lunches are eaten at home. So much easier.

So for today’s lunch…I suppose I will decide that at lunch time 😉

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Packing lunches in uni were the worst- lugging around tupperware was such a pain!

Alexis @ Hummusapien April 24, 2013 at 5:55 pm

Pizza on whole wheat toast– I love it! I recently finished my dietetic internship so I’ve been having the luxury of eating at home, too. Thank God for eggs… they’re such a lifesaver when I’m feeling lazy!

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 8:49 pm

As long as we have eggs at home, I know I’m good 😉

Taryn April 24, 2013 at 6:10 pm

That was my go-to lunch when I still worked in an office (I work from home, too) – we had a toaster oven, so I’d stick a sandwich thin smothered with tomato sauce and shredded cheese and sometimes pepperoni in there. Everyone in my office was always so jealous haha. Now that I’m at home, I typically heat up whatever was left over from last night’s dinner.

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 8:50 pm

You can’t beat leftovers for convenient lunches!

Parita @ myinnershakti April 24, 2013 at 7:24 pm

I make “toast pizza” all the time! Simple meals really are the best. My lunch today is leftover Thai veggie coconut soup and a few other snacks that I munch on throughout the day. 🙂

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Oh wow your lunch sounds fab…homemade?

Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I love, love, LOVE the days where I get to work from home. I have the hardest time packing lunches because I’m way too lazy to be creative, so I love having my kitchen at my disposal and being able to whip up whatever it is that I’m craving. That being said, I’m out of the house today 🙁 But lunch is an almond butter and jelly sandwich, so I kind of can’t wait…

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Nut butter & jelly sandwiches are proof that the simple lunches are the best…as are throwback lunches 😉

dixya@food, pleasure, and health April 24, 2013 at 8:07 pm

i envy every one who gets to work from home..i try to be creative with lunches or just pack leftover. Today I have to just walk over to the cafeteria, did not have time to pack lunch 🙁 I love pizza toast – slice of french toast with little pesto is another great idea

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 8:54 pm

How is the food at your cafeteria? Depending on the workplace, they seem to be either amazing a full of options or on the completely other end of the spectrum i.e. not the most appetising!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 24, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I LOVE making pizza toasters!! I make vegan versions using whole wheat bread, pizza sauce, and nutritional yeast. It has been far too long since I have made it, though! 🙁

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I’m still yet to try nutritional yeast but I’ve heard it’s fab!

Alex @ therunwithin April 24, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I have to say I love making pizza on un traditional things like vegetables or bread or wraps.

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Pizza on vegetables? Color me intrigued!

Brittany April 24, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Ohh toast pizza I like it!! Today my lunch is going to be..NO IDEA! I am going to wing it! 🙂

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Best way to go about it 😉

z @ kickingkilos April 24, 2013 at 11:02 pm

I love it– mine didnt look as yum though. I even Instagrammed it 😉

Khushboo April 24, 2013 at 11:17 pm

As long as it tastes yum, that’s all that matters! 🙂

Meenakshi April 25, 2013 at 12:23 am

I use quick fixes like this when I’m busy or when I have an intense craving. The pizza tartines look yummy!!

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:05 am

It’s all about the quick-fixes :)!

honeywhatscooking April 25, 2013 at 12:57 am

When I work from home, I do the same, I try and come up with something healthy and try to shopping the night before to stock my fridge for the week. I only stay home once a week, so it’s fine. I actually am healthier when I eat out lunch time, it’s always a no brainer, salad or something close.
🙁

honeywhatscooking April 25, 2013 at 12:58 am

THat’s awesome you work from daily. I still can’t get over the fact you have a cook and you do everything. LOL! I would be like, make me pizza, make me briyani. I’d probably gain weight.:-(

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:02 am

Haha trust me the novelty wears off…much sooner than you’d expect. Although it is nice to not have to wash up post-cooking 😉

Allie April 25, 2013 at 2:25 am

Love it! I have never found a pizza crust recipe that was worth the effort, so I’m all about lazy bases–I really just want the marinara and toppings anyway!

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:03 am

You are so right- I did the same with a frittatta instead of bread last night and it really is all about the marinara sauce and toppings!

Allie April 26, 2013 at 12:56 am

Pizza-tatta? Yum! Oh–since I know we’re both lovers of eggs for quick and easy meals–What about scrambled eggs with marinara and various veggie toppings? Pizza scrambled eggs sound like they have the potential to be uh-maze-ing.

Khushboo April 26, 2013 at 9:32 am

I like the way you think…and might have to test this idea out 😉

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 25, 2013 at 4:58 am

I’m a firm believer that the simplest made-at-home meals are the most satisfying meals. Whenever I get fussy in the kitchen, I end up spending so much time cooking that by the time I’m finished, I’m either 1) already full from snacking along the way, or 2) stressed out by the mess I’ve created in the kitchen. I love it when I can toss a few ingredients into a pan, or even better–straight onto a plate–and dig in. 😀 Pizza toast is one of my favorite quick meals, too, and sometimes I even make it with rice cakes!

My lunch today was cheesy and delicious like yours–a spinach, mozzarella, and feta quesadilla on a brown rice tortilla. I enjoyed it so much, I may repeat it tomorrow. 🙂

Oh, and just in case you didn’t see my reply to your comment on my post…YES, I’m definitely serious about visiting London this summer! If I come, it will be in mid-July…Will you be there then??? xoxoxo

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:04 am

Awesome! I will be there from end June till August so would love to meet up…keep me posted :)!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 25, 2013 at 6:06 am

Pizza toast–GENIUS. Seriously, I am definitely doing this sometime soon. I’ve been craving it too, but finding a decent GF alternative to crust is always a challenge. And GF bread is something I always have on hand, seriously perfect!

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:06 am

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do 🙂

Katy April 25, 2013 at 6:35 am

Yum!! So simple and delicious. Some protein on it would rock too!

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:08 am

It sure would…sometimes I have a side of egg whites for a quick protein boost :)!

Shreya @ rushofendorphins April 25, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I used to do this so much as a kid! Thanks for reminding me – I am definitely making this soon 😉

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Throwback meals are the best, right!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 25, 2013 at 6:26 pm

working from home makes my life 100% better. the flexibility rocks – i go to the gym in the middle of the day when no one is there and answer emails at 7p.

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:46 pm

As hermit as it sounds, I love having the gym to myself 😉

Kanwal April 25, 2013 at 7:09 pm

I noticed when I’m at home I can wing meals very easily. I feel like I over think my meals at work because I have so much time to think about what to make :-/

Khushboo April 25, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Do you have a well-stocked kitchen at your workplace?

Kanwal April 25, 2013 at 10:04 pm

I do not :-(…so I keep a well stocked fridge at home 🙂

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 26, 2013 at 6:51 am

Simple, quick and easy are sometimes the best and most satisfying meals, and working from home means I actually get so much more work done (my days at the office are pretty much non-stop interruptions).

Khushboo April 26, 2013 at 9:32 am

And don’t forget about the time saved from not having to commute! 🙂

Sophia April 26, 2013 at 8:44 am

Love your lunch! That bread looks so thick and rustic! What kind is it? My lunch was fish (my papa is a fisherman hence we eat it all the time) in lots of olive oil with lots of ciabatta just spread with a bit of yummy butter. Yum all round by the looks of things! Xoxox Sophia

Khushboo April 26, 2013 at 9:33 am

It’s rye bread from Le Pain Quotidien (do they have a franchise in Italy?)! Your lunch sounds fabulous- nothing beats fresh fish! 🙂

Sophia April 26, 2013 at 9:46 am

It does look so fresh 🙂 one of my favourite breads is a dense crusty rye 🙂 I don’t think we have that chain here- I haven’t seen it at least. I have a small bakery in Genoa I love- they bake twice a day. It’s always hard to choose what to get- but I think rye it will be next time xo Sophia

Khushboo April 26, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Yum- freshly baked bread sounds like such a treat 🙂