Criss cross applesauce

by Khushboo on April 8, 2013

Happy Monday! Hope your week has started off on the right foot.

During the weekend, the topic of veggie juices came up in discussion.  Over a few vodkas (ironically enough), my friends were telling me about their favorite green juices at Crussh, a food & juice bar in London.  Combinations like ‘apple, celery, kale, and cucumber’ were described as incredible and Green Goddess juices were deemed amazing.  I couldn’t help but laugh: To many people, that would sound crazy.  After all, who goes ga-ga over fruits & vegetables!  However I completely get it, and go ga-ga on a daily basis over apples…applesauce to be exact.

photo 3

I’m sure the mere mention of “applesauce” conjures up images of Mott’s Snack  & Go cups in supermarkets’ canned fruit aisle.  Yeah no…homemade  chunky applesauce is a whole different ball game.  If you have ever eaten apple pie, it tastes just like the filling.  Trust me on this.   The eating possibilities are endless but some of my favorite uses include:

• Oatmeal or waffle topper
  • Mixed with plain Greek yogurt

photo-27

• Straight out of a bowl
  • As a toast or rice cake topping: Peanut butter & Applesauce is totally the new Peanut butter & Jelly

photo 2

• As a butter/oil replacement in baking

Some recipes involve lemon juice, others call for copious amounts of sugar.  I stick with 3 ingredients…because that’s really all you need for perfect applesauce:

Homemade Chunky Applesauce

Ingredients

• 2 large apples (I tend to use Gala, Golden Delicious, or Pink Lady’s but any kind will do)
  • ¾ cup water
  • 2 heaped teaspoons cinnamon

Applesauce

Method

1. Cut the apples into 1-inch cubes (leave the skin on)
  2. Place apple pieces in a saucepan over medium heat, and cover with water
  3. Bring to a boil, add cinnamon and then leave it to simmer
  4. Once the apples have completely absorbed the water (about 15-20 minutes), turn off the heat
  5. Transfer to an airtight container after the applesauce has cooled down.  Store in refrigerator.

It really is a piece of pie cake to make.  And if you want to be efficient with your cooking, triple or quadruple the recipe…I just have no self-control over homemade applesauce when it’s in the fridge ;)!

What’s your favorite way to eat applesauce?

What fruit or veggie can you not get enough of?

Jess April 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I love simple recipes!!! My favorite way to eat it is with granola and yogurt!

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Mmm that’s a rather apple pie-esque combo 🙂

Picky Nicky April 8, 2013 at 4:23 pm

This apple sauce sounds like it would be so good with cereal, sort of like an apple crumble-type thing 🙂 thanks for sharing!

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:54 pm

It’s amazing with cereal, especially oat-based varieties 🙂

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 8, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I totally agree – store bought applesauce doesn’t even begin to compare to the homemade kind! I like to mix mine with some granola and almond butter for a snack.

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Mmm even without yogurt, that combo is fab :)!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 8, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Between you and Amanda, I’ve convinced I need to make homemade applesauce. I’ve never done it before!

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm

“Need” being the operational word 😉

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 8, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I LOVE apple sauce. Growing up, it was a staple in my house and was served with nearly every meal. I have never tried making my own, though. You make the process sound really easy! I will have to try it :).

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:56 pm

I never thought to pair it with a savory meal but I bet it would be fab on chicken :)!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 8, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Oh girl, you know I’m totally on board the homemade applesauce train! I’m so addicted to this stuff that it’s not even funny – I can easily eat 3 or 4 apples worth of applesauce without even noticing it – it’s just that good! And yeah… the pureed store bought stuff doesn’t even come close. I’d have to say that my favorite way to eat it is with yogurt (especially coconut flavored yogurt!), but really… straight from the bowl is just as good 😉 As for other fruits that I can’t get enough of… bananas, watermelon, and frozen blueberries have been my kryptonite lately.

Happy Monday!

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I knew you’d “get” my applesauce appreciation :)! I may or may not be guilty of just standing in front of my fridge with a fork…no shame ;)!

Alex @ therunwithin April 8, 2013 at 8:09 pm

I love baking apples, just the smell makes me feel good

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:57 pm

The scent of baked apples is as enticing as fresh cookies 🙂

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables April 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Ohhh I’ve never made my own applesauce! I love apples but my boyfriend is allergic to them when they’re raw. However, he loves them baked! I’ll have to make him this apple sauce!

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Oh you must make it for him- easy to rack in some brownie points ;)!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 8, 2013 at 10:31 pm

Ok first of all, the title of this post immediately transported me to my childhood “criss-cross applesauce do me a favor and get lost while you’re at it drop dead either that or lose your head”…really hoping I’m not the only one there haha. But anyway! This recipe looks delicious! Homemade apple sauce is the best.

Khushboo April 8, 2013 at 10:58 pm

HAhHA YESSS I’m so glad you got the reference….my kindergarten teacher always used to say that :)!

Allison @ Life's a Bowl April 8, 2013 at 11:48 pm

I loveee making chunky applesauce in our crock pot! Mash it up just enough to get things a little mushy, but not too much so there are still chunks… That’s my favorite 🙂

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:55 am

The more the chunks the better :)!

honeywhatscooking April 8, 2013 at 11:55 pm

I love applesauce just like that or over oatmeal. You know I’m allergic to apples, but thankfully I can eat a cooked apple with no issues. LOVE APPLE PIE! Favorite fruit – hands down banana.. it’s sweet and it’s so easy to eat. . no cutting nothing.
🙂

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:56 am

You’re allergic to raw apples??? Ohh you poor thing 🙁

dixya@food, pleasure, and health April 9, 2013 at 12:10 am

love the simplicity of this recipe. I love to smear it on a toast, bagel or eat by spoonful 🙂 I can never get enough of grapes

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:56 am

Grapes are addictive…when I open a bag, it’s gone before I know it 😉

Parita @ myinnershakti April 9, 2013 at 5:15 am

I love applesauce plain. It’s my absolute favorite way to eat it. This recipe sounds yummy…I actually love the chunkiness of it. 🙂

And my favorite fruit is mango. So refreshing and tropical!

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

You need to come to Mumbai asap…mango season has just about kicked in 🙂

P April 9, 2013 at 5:34 am

I am so happy you shared this recipe cause I’ve been wondering what those delicious-looking cubes were for the longest time! Haha, maybe I missed it in one of your posts :P!

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hahah I hope you give it a shot 🙂

Sarah @ Feeeding the Brain and Body April 9, 2013 at 6:41 am

Apples are definitely a fruit I can’t get enough of! My favorite is when they are really cold and crispy, so I don’t often have applesauce. But I love how this recipe leaves the apples not completely pureed! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:58 am

Between you and me, I don’t get why anyone would puree applesauce…it’s so much yummier when there are chunks :)!

Alexis @ Hummusapien April 9, 2013 at 6:48 am

I just used one of those cute little Mott’s cups of unsweetened applesauce in an apple pie bar recipe and they were delish!! I love eating those little cups with cinnamon on top. I’ve never made my own–that’s on my to-do list 🙂 Yours looks fab!

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:58 am

Apple pie bar?? Yeah now that’s a recipe I want to try ASAP!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 9, 2013 at 6:53 am

I loveee love love apples and that is definitely a fruit I could never get enough of! Blueberries are up there too, but only when they are perfectly ripe of course 🙂 this recipe looks great, I like that it’s chunky! You never would have caught me saying that when I was a kid though, I hated it if there were any chunks, had to be smooth. So not that way anymore. thanks for the recipe lady!

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:58 am

Hahah I was like that about peanut butter….it had to be smooth or I just wasn’t having it!

Meghan@Clean Eat Fast Feets April 9, 2013 at 6:56 am

Homemade applesauce is a totally different ball game, and yours sounds great. So do the green juices too. Call me crazy, but they sound yummy to me.

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 9:59 am

Haha I wish I could say the same- I am yet to love green juices!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 9, 2013 at 10:32 am

You won’t believe this, but I’ve never ever made homemade applesauce! Homemade apple pie? Yes, at least twice a year (on Thanksgiving and Christmas)! Apple crisp? Yep, every fall. Even though I’ll spend an hour rolling pie crust, somehow I’m too lazy to throw sliced apples into a pot. 😉 I blame my grandma, who spoiled my family with unlimited jars of homemade applesauce while I was growing up. It was the best applesauce I’ve ever tasted, and maybe subconsciously I fear I’ll never live up to that standard. I don’t know, but I do know that whatever the reason, I need to stop making excuses, and just DO IT. Your suggestion of applesauce and peanut butter is way too hard to resist!

Hope you had a great Monday, dear friend! <3 xoxo

Oh, and p.s…My friend and I were talking about traveling to India today! I want to visit so so badly. If it happens, I'll be sure to make Mumbai my first stop! 😉

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 11:41 am

Put it this way: if you can roast a chicken, you can more than make applesauce…ie DO IT :)! And that’s super exciting about potential travel plans to India…keep me posted :D!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 9, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I love the idea of chunky applesauce! I can’t stand the pureed stuff… I think it’s a texture thing. It’s like baby food!

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Haha you remind me of my sister….she stays away from oatmeal because it reminds her of baby food!

z @ kickingkilos April 9, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Great recipe Khusboo.
I love grapes…I could live on them forever 😉

Khushboo April 9, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Grapes are addictive! 🙂

Rukhsana October 5, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Hi Khushboo
I am going to make this TODAY , it sounds so yummy and it will go perfectly well with my almond honey coconut granola. Thanks for sharing ! !

Khushboo October 8, 2015 at 9:41 am

Hope you enjoy it Rukhsana- I can’t get enough :)!

Shyamla Chattlani November 10, 2015 at 6:31 am

Love this recipe!! Just made it

Khushboo November 13, 2015 at 1:24 pm

YAY- glad you & Samiboo enjoyed!