Good Friday Favorites

by Khushboo on March 29, 2013

Happy Easter, everyone!  Cadbury Mini Egg anyone?

cadbury mini eggs

It’s only a matter of time until someone discovers a way to transport chocolate over computer screens.  And until that day comes where I can virtually share my favorite Easter chocolate with you all, I’ll stick with textually sharing some of my favorites from the week:

• I have no words to describe Django Unchained except that both the movie & Jamie Foxx deserved an Oscar.  It was definitely 2 hours 45 minutes well spent!  Even after the movie finished, I couldn’t stop thinking about how much humanity has evolved (for the better) over the past few centuries. Between an all-round A-Class cast (Jamie Foxx, Samuel L Jackson, Leonardo DiCaprio), a gripping plot, and phenomenal cinematography, it truly was “bloody” amazing…. even if some of the brutal scenes were overly nauseating to watch.

DjangoUnchainedWallpaper-1c733-620x387

• Given my love for bread, I’m kinda embarrassed to admit that I really enjoy rice cakes. Yes they’re the stereotypical dieter’s food and taste like cardboard when eaten plain.  However their versatility & crunch also make them the perfect vehicle for a number of toppings:

2013-03-09 10.19.24

• Considering how much I love (and drink) coffee, I can’t believe I have never mentioned my love for Davidoff coffee. I tried this out a few years ago when I was visiting my aunt in Dubai (Hi Hema Masi :)) and have been hooked on it since.  There’s always at least one unopened jar in our pantry because let’s just say that Nescafe has suddenly become borderline passé! I’m no coffee snob but life’s too short to drink bad coffee…at least not every day.

Davidoff72

• Apparently I’m on a Jamie Foxx kick this week as I’ve been listening to this all week on repeat #ThrowbackThursday #ThrowbackFriday:

What’s your favorite brand of coffee?

What song are you loving this week?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 29, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I’ve actually never seen a Quentin Tarintino movie before because gore makes me feel sick. I’ve heard such good things about his movies though and I really want to see them! I’ll just have to watch them with someone who knows them well and can tell me when to close my eyes haha.

My favourite brand of coffee is President’s Choice (a Canadian brand) – they make an awesome organic, fair trade decaf coffee that I pretty much live on. I like that it’s smooth and mild – bolder coffee like Starbucks is too strong for me!

Khushboo March 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm

That coffee sounds awesome, love that it’s fair trade 🙂

Picky Nicky March 29, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Omg yes, I feel like people judge me when I eat rice cakes but they’re just like a giant puffed up cracker sort of thing! They’re great in their own way

Khushboo March 29, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Rice cake haters can suck it 😉

Parita @ myinnershakti March 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm

You’re absolutely right. Rice cakes are so good when smeared with PB! I definitely think it’s the crunch factor!

And I have yet to see Django Unchained. I couldn’t get into the previews so I figured it wasn’t my kind of movie. Will take your word for it and watch it soon!

Have a great weekend, K!

Khushboo March 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Oh trust me on Django Unchained…both you & Vishnu will love it 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig March 29, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Confession: I’ve never had a Cadbury mini egg. I have, however, indulged in more than a few Creme Eggs this easter!

I can’t believe I haven’t seen Django yet. We were supposed to go when it first came out, almost three months ago! But the cinema wasn’t showing it, and then my accident kind of put things on hold. I’m dying to see it!!

Khushboo March 29, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Confession: I’ve never tried Creme Eggs…the idea of a gooey interior doesn’t sound too appealing ;)!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 29, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I’m a huge Tarentino fan so I need to see this movie…there’s just never enough hours in the day. Must do it though. I’m a morning coffee drinker (and a morning cocktail drinker judging by today’s post), and I usually blend mine right at the grocery store, so I guess I’m drinking whatever brand they’re selling. I like to mix up the flavors though each week, and I really prefer my coffee strong, like grow some hair on my chest strong.
By the way, I topped my roasted veggie/fried egg combo last night with half an avacada and some feta, and you were 100% right. Somthing about the creamy avocado and the tangy feta just works amazing well together. You are a genius.

Khushboo March 29, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Oh I’m so glad you loved the addition of feta & avocado- it definitely ties the meal together for me :)!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 29, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I too absolutely loved Django Unchained. Some of the scenes were horrifying (I didn’t watch those) but the overall message was so powerful, and it really fascinates me how far our country has come. And it’s unbelievable that we were ever there. I cried when Jamie Foxx’s character got to pick his own clothes for the first time in his life and turned up in something so fancy! It was just so endearing and so sad all at the same time.

Khushboo March 29, 2013 at 7:10 pm

While I’m not African American, I can’t help but feel proud that the US has reached a point where an African American is president- who would have ever thought!

Allie March 29, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Ahaha, I love rice cakes but feel the same way about them too! I swear I don’t care that they are “healthy,” they just taste damn good and are the perfect bottom for delicious toppings like nut butter & banana 😉 Or for hummus! I love hummus & rice cakes.

I can’t wait to see Django Unchained! I was bummed I didn’t get to theaters in time…I’ll be watching Redbox like a hawk for it now, thanks for the extra-positive review!

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:05 am

Hummus & rice cakes are awesome…even better if there’s some chicken involved 😉

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 29, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I would LOVE some of those eggs!! Easter chocolate is just the best, isn’t it? I also love the Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup holiday eggs. They have SOOO much PB in them :).

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

I’ve never tried the Reeses holiday eggs but I’m pretty sure I’d love them- the more PB, the better 🙂

Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 29, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Mini EGG? As in… one egg? Pft! You better be sharing more than that, girl! 😛

I always feel kind of like a crazy person when I tell people that I legitimately enjoy rice cakes, and I’ve been eating them more than usual this month… but I blame that on my mom. I went through a few months where I completely forgot about them, and then mom had to go ahead and buy a pack and remind me how perfect they are for toppings. They’re so great with nut butter and bananas, and I’ve been loving them with cheese and salsa too.

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:07 am

Haha correction- mini eggS anyone…that is, if they still last ;)! Next time try applesauce & nut butter on rice cakes- I know you’ll love it!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables March 29, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hmm favorite coffee? I love these coconut mocha k cups!!! They’re AMAZING!

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:08 am

Wow is that coffee or dessert? Sounds incredible! 🙂

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 29, 2013 at 8:24 pm

I am obsessed with Ed Sheeran right now. Specifically, his songs Lego House or The A Team.

Happy Friday!

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:09 am

I guess I’ll have to youtube Ed Sheeran asap then 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 29, 2013 at 8:32 pm

I adored that movie! I saw it in theories a while back and it blew me away…but I have a Tarantino obsession so it’s no surprise I love it.

And rice cakes are amazing. I have a pack of buttered popcorn flavoured ones that I have been enjoying quite a bit lately 😀

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:09 am

Wow buttered flavored rice cakes are probably the only kind of rice cakes I’d happily devour plain- yum :)!

Alex @ therunwithin March 29, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I really REALLY enjoy rice cakes too. no shame. i find them super tasty

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:10 am

No shame at all!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish March 30, 2013 at 12:04 am

I sure hope it’s sooner rather than later that somebody figures out how to transport chocolate (and every other delicious-looking food) over a computer screen because I’m not sure how much longer I’ll be able to handle commenting, “that looks amazing!” thing without receiving something in return. ;-p

Django Unchained is still on my must-see list, however I’ve been waiting for it to be released on DVD because I’m not sure I can sit in a movie theater for more than 2.5 hours! Quentin Tarantino–as quirky as he is–is a master of the screen.

Rice cakes are near and dear to my heart. I actually eat them post-workout nearly every day, and really enjoy making rice cake “pizzas,” too. The peanut butter and banana combo is obviously my favorite, though!

Favorite coffee: probably some Artisan blend I’ve had in San Francisco, however on a daily basis, I’m a Starbucks devotee.

Happy Friday! <3 xoxo

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:11 am

As someone who gets fidgety in movies after the 2-hour mark, I didn’t even glance at my watch (or phone) once…in fact I might even go see it on screen once more 🙂

Brittany March 30, 2013 at 2:07 am

AH You saw Django!!! I cannot wait to rent it and watch it again, I lovedddd it!! I actually didn’t think the gore was that bad in this movie. Usually the Quinten movies are BAD, but I thought this was manageable. I actually think they all are, but I guess I did quince in a few parts!! I loveee rice cakes, diet food or not!! In fact I should get some to start snacking on!

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:12 am

I love that you want to see it again- makes me feel less crazy! I am tempted to go see it on screen again sometime this week! 🙂

honeywhatscooking March 30, 2013 at 9:46 am

i have to watch django. i heard they all did a great job. favorite coffee… i love columbian coffee, but i never make coffee at home, it never comes out right despite buying a good machine. i don’t know what it is… the machine, the water, the coffee amount. hope you have a great weekend K! And thank you for your kind words. 🙂

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:13 am

In my old job, we had a Nespresso machine but I just couldn’t get my head around using it….hence why I stick with instant coffee 😉

Tessa @ Amazing Asset March 30, 2013 at 7:44 pm

The only Tarantino movies I have seen are the Kill Bill series, ones that I both like a lot and then don’t at the same time lol. It’s not that I am squeamish, but some of the gore in those movies are rather intense! Plus there is a whole lot of ass-kicking going on among the characters haha, but obviously COOL fight scenes! I will likely see this movie, my brothers loved it and we have similar tastes
I agree, rice cakes are good! I usually buy sweet ones, caramel or apple cinnamon, something like that. Tasty tasty!

Khushboo March 31, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Love caramel rice cakes and I’m pretty sure I’d be all over apple cinnamon too- need to find :)!

Jess March 31, 2013 at 3:17 pm

I have a rice cake obsession too! Love love love! I have only seen Kill Bill when it comes to Tarantino, so intense. Will have to try out the others!
HOpe you’ve had an awesome weekend!!

Khushboo March 31, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I’ve never seen Kill Bill but I think I might just have to soon 🙂

P March 31, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Plain rice cakes are the perfect base for fun toppings and pairings (nutella is great on them!!). I also love the flavored rice cakes too. One time, I even had a rice cake with chocolate chunks in it 🙂

Khushboo March 31, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Ohh chocolate chip rice cakes sound amazing! I love the Kallo chocolate-coated rice cakes….then again, chocolate anything is a win in my books 😉