The bane(s) of my productivity

by Khushboo on March 1, 2013

Do you ever have those nights where you’re just lying in bed wide awake for no rhyme or reason? That’s happened to me more often than not this past week and it’s no fun at all.  I’ve been working out, stopping caffeine at a reasonable hour, and waking up at fairly early, yet apparently something’s missing.  Sleep woes aside, I’ve recently come across some good finds online in between “working”.  Even though they suck away my productivity levels to some extent, they’re still worth sharing:

3 Articles Worth Checking Out:

• The First Lady on Eating Better as a Family: And just when I thought I couldn’t love Michelle Obama any more, I go and read this.  Her approach to raising kids on a healthy diet and getting a healthy  dinner on the table each night. is inspiring.   Especially given the number of staff & facilities the First Lady has at her fingertips, it’s awesome to read how hands-on and involved she is with her family.  Whether or not you are the President’s wife, any family can incorporate all the tips & strategies she suggests.

michelle-obama-flexing-lets-move

• 6 Reasons You Should Stop Using Protein Powder: I went through a phase of using protein powder on a daily basis…sometimes multiple times during the day.  Although not intended, I seem to have weaned myself off it over the past few months.  Based on my current goals, I’m able to meet my protein requirements through my diet alone.  If I’m in a pinch or need a boost, they are still my go-to.  While guzzling protein shakes ultimately comes down to individual preferences & circumstances, some of the points raised in this article were especially interesting!
  • To all my fellow kale-, quinoa-, Greek yogurt- and almond butter-loving friends please read this article on 5 Must-Eat Pretentious Foods.  I found myself smiling throughout the whole article, especially at this line: “Peanut butter is now the forgotten, underachieving middle child of the nut butter family”.

2 Images That Say It All:

Success

bakery

1 Recipe I Can’t Wait to Try:

Slutty Brownies - 02

Ooooh yeah!

These babies are filthy ;)!   I don’t throw around the term “orgasmic” lightly but brownies involving chocolate chip cookie batter, brownie batter, and Oreos definitely deserve the title.  I’m still on my “detox” but as soon as a birthday/excuse comes up, I will be making these bad boys.

How often do you use protein powder?

How do you like your brownies? A la mode naturally!

TorontoRunner March 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm

oh myyyyyyyyy, those brownies!!

I’ve never used protein powder or drink any type of shakes..mainly because – I like to eat my food and never drink it! haha!

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:27 am

Haha chewing food always seems to give you more bang over drinking ’em!

Jess March 1, 2013 at 3:22 pm

I don’t use protein powder at all. Great articles! I want to eat those brownies like right now!!! 🙂

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:27 am

If only we could through a screen :)!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig March 1, 2013 at 5:03 pm

I haven’t had any protein powder in about five months and I haven’t noticed any difference in my muscle mass or strength gains (well, up until recent unrelated circumstances took place that is!). I do find it difficult to consume the same amount of protein as before, but PP is definitely not as essential as most people believe it to be.

How good do those slutty brownies look! I haven’t made them but they’ve been calling to me for months now. I told you that you’d be hooked on the Londoner!

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:28 am

Are you still consuming as much protein though? Also I’m soo glad you told me about the Londoner- love Rosie!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Love The Thought Catalog! The 5 pretentious food article is awesome and kind of true in a way. Too bad the first 5 foods are constants in my diet…haha!

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:28 am

Haha apparently we are pretentious foodies ;)!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 1, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Thanks for pointing out the protein article – I still have 1/2 – 1 serving a day most days of the week, but that is definitely cutting it down from how much I was taking before. It makes some great points!

And I’ve been eyeing those slutty brownies forever – I definitely need an excuse to make them.

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:29 am

If you do ever make them, let me know if they taste as orgasmic as they look!

Alex @ therunwithin March 1, 2013 at 8:20 pm

that is how I feel about protein powder, sure once and a while I will have some but rarely will I have them more than twice a week.

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:29 am

In my opinion, potein powder is fine so long as you aren’t totally dependent on it

Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 1, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Love the articles you linked to! They sound really interesting, perfect for a Friday afternoon read which I’m about to do now!

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:30 am

Work post lunch on a Friday is just not happening…hope you enjoyed the articles :)!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables March 1, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Oh my gosh my friend made those slutty brownies once and they were soooo good!

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:30 am

You have a good friend :)!

dixya @ food, pleasure, and health March 2, 2013 at 3:15 am

i am in love with all those pretentious food lol. i never use protein powder, aim to get mostly from my diet. that brownie is def. organismic – wow!

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:31 am

High 5 for being pretentious ;)!

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick March 2, 2013 at 5:56 am

Brownies are my absolute favoriteeee! But those brownies….wow! I need to make them now

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:32 am

They take brownies to a whoooole new level!

P March 2, 2013 at 7:38 am

I’m not so much a kale/quinoa fanatic, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like them! Haha, actually I forget sometimes that these foods we see often on food blogs are considered pretentious in the “real world”.

The other day I asked my Dad how come he never purchases kale when we go grocery shopping, and he asked how would we even use it? And then there’s my sis who prefer plain ol’ peanut butter over any fancy schmancy $9-a-jar nut butter 😛

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:33 am

I like the sound of your sister- I still stand true to Natural Skippy as my favorite PB :)!

Brittany March 2, 2013 at 9:06 am

Those brownies make me want to get slutty. I would just roll naked in a pool of these, eating my way through. YUM!

Khushboo March 2, 2013 at 11:36 am

Hahahah you dirty, dirty girl ;)!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish March 2, 2013 at 11:30 am

Ahh, I love Michelle! I recently told a friend that if I could meet any celebrity, she’d be my pick. Her efforts to promote healthy eating and living, coupled with her commitment to equipping the public with simple cost-effective strategies to improve health, is truly admirable! And not only that, she’s one heck of fashionista. Barack is a lucky man. 😉

Anyway…you’ve piqued my interest with this protein powder article. I average about 1-2 servings per day, depending on whether I’ve worked out and/or the amount of time I have on my hands. Protein powder is an easy, portable option that never goes bad, which makes it a go-to meal component when I’m on-the-go all day. Another perk: no foul smells (I’m looking at you, eggs and fish). 😉 That said, I don’t feel as though I “have” to have it post-workout like some bodybuilding guidelines try to lead us to believe.

The slutty brownies are making my mouth water–and I’m still stuffed from dinner tonight. Yum! Happy Friday! xoxo

Khushboo March 3, 2013 at 10:50 am

Some people would say that Michelle lucked out by ending up with Barack…I think the opposite holds true :)!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 2, 2013 at 11:02 pm

That’s a great article about protein powder and it mirrors my thoughts exactly. I’ve used protein powder maybe 3x in my life and I just didn’t see the big deal about it. I think it’s much healthier just to eat real, whole foods that contain protein!

And ohhh my gosh I need those brownies in my life!

Khushboo March 3, 2013 at 10:47 am

Along with being cheaper, eating real food just tastes so much better :)!

honeywhatscooking March 3, 2013 at 5:03 am

Hola from Mexico!!! OMG, I have so much to say. I have been wanting to bake slutty brownies for so long, just need an excuse, they are really filthy and slutty. lol. April – we have lots of birthdays coming up. Love Michelle Obama!!! Also, when I can’t fall asleep, I start counting backwards starting from 100, by the time I hit 80-70 , I pass out. Try it, it works!!! I don’t use protein powders although I love the vanilla, I just think it is unnatural. Hemp Powder seems to be popular here, but I don’t like the flavor. 🙂

Khushboo March 3, 2013 at 10:48 am

Ah jealous you’re in Mexico- hope you having a blast :)! Will try the counting backwards trick next time I struggle to fall asleep- thanks!

Nix March 3, 2013 at 9:16 pm

If you make me those brownies, I’ll let you borrow my pool boy, Juan.

Khushboo March 5, 2013 at 8:55 am

Hahahaha in that case, how can I not ;)!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 6, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I love the first lady, and I am so down with her campaign on fighting childhood obesity. This was a great article. The protein powder article was fascinating as well, and I’m grateful I don’t touch the stuff, but my favorite was your two images. They cracked me up, especially the one about sugar coating things.

Khushboo March 7, 2013 at 10:46 am

The sugar coating one really made laugh too…especially as so many people ask for advice and then get offended when I give it ;)!