CrossFittin’

by Khushboo on February 1, 2013

I can’t even deny it: I’m the ultimate procrastinator!  For the past two weeks, this stared at me every time I glanced at my ongoing To-Do List:

Try CrossFit before January ends

With 3 days to spare, I finally ticked it off my list on Tuesday.  Although I’ve read/heard plenty about CrossFit, I was both nervous & curious to try it.  I went with a friend and despite our initial hesitation about CrossFit, we both enjoyed it.  For those of you who aren’t familiar with it, CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program that builds strength and increases endurance while working on your weaknesses using functional movements combined into high intensity, varied workouts (Source).

crossfit

As CrossFit newbies, we started with the basics i.e. squat, sit-up & push-up technique.  In CrossFit terms, we then moved on to the WOD*:

7 minutes AMRAP**

• 5 push-ups
  • 10 squats
  • 10 sit-ups

*WOD: Workout of the Day

**AMRAP: As Many Rounds As Possible

We ended the session with a 500m Row & stretching.

The 7-minute WOD definitely left us breathless.  Although regular classes are slightly longer, our instructor kept it “easy” as we were just starting off.

colaba crossfit

I can definitely see why people rave about CrossFit, but I’m still debating if I want to sign up.

What I liked about CrossFit

• Intensity levels: Everyone completes the same WOD but depending on individual fitness levels, it can be as easy or challenging as necessary.  As my push-up form wasn’t great our instructor suggested I do mine through a rubber band: by countering the body’s weight, the elasticity helps move the body to complete the motion of the exercise.
  • Time flew by: CrossFit is tiring but it’s also fun. Between a new approach to exercising and a change of atmosphere, the change of pace definitely had its perks.
  • Out of my comfort zone:  From what I’ve heard, CrossFit workouts vary immensely on a day-to-day basis.  More than keeping my body guessing, it’ll keep me guessing.  I definitely have my favorite exercises, rep ranges and workouts which I tend to fall back on.  Taking lead from my new year’s resolution, I’m all the more motivated to switch things up.

What’s holding me back from signing up:

• Increased risk of injury: Especially as the workouts are timed, it’s easy to risk form just to rush through & fit in more rounds.
  • Gym membership: Although I could attend CrossFit on some days and gym the others, I’m not about to try and burn the candle on both ends…or pay for 2 different memberships.  I might sign up for a monthly CrossFit membership in April when my gym membership expires, and then take it from there.  If I enjoy it, I’ll stick with it….otherwise I’ll renew my gym membership.

I’m sure if I do sign up for CrossFit, I’ll come across more features which I like/don’t like about it.  But till then, I’m a fan!  I came home craving a salad (gah who says that 🙄 ) and quickly whipped up this monster with whatever I could find in the fridge:

2013-01-29 20.59.30

Lettuce, arugula, carrot, cucumber, grilled zucchini, teriyaki chicken & mushrooms, feta, chickpeas –> drizzled with honey mustard viniagrette

Have you tried CrossFit? What did you think?

TorontoRunner February 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm

ooooh how exciting!
I’ve read sooo many bloggers who do this and really swear by it. SO nice to hear your opinion on it. It sounds like a pretty good workout with a lot of variety – which would definitely make time fly by!
I know i’d find the WOD pretty intense!
Totally understand why you’re reluctant to sign up with having your current gym membership as well!

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:25 am

Glad you enjoyed reading it….it’s a great workout but I don’t think it’s the be all end all as many bloggers see to portray it as!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables February 1, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I felt the same way. It was intense which was good, but it was expensive, and honestly I’m not sure it lines up with my goals very well. I do think it’s an interesting type of workout though! And good job trying it!

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:25 am

Thanks Liz! Part of me in 2 minds about joining it because like you, I’m not sure if it ties in with my goals…maybe in a few months!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 1, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed your first class! I liked reading about it. 😀

I’ve been wanting to try CrossFit, but I keep on putting it off too. It intimidates me haha. I’d be more likely to go if I went with a friend, so I need to find someone to talk into doing it with me!

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:34 am

It intimidated me SO much as well- definitely go with a friend…the moral support helps :)!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig February 1, 2013 at 6:14 pm

It’s nice to hear a non-crazed review! haha 😉 I think CrossFit has its benefits if you go to a good box, but the negatives outweight the positives in my opinion. I will always prefer working out on my own too, and monthly CF fees are so high!

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:35 am

Haha I thought of you so much as I wrote this post, Tara! You’re so right about finding a good box- for those who get stuck with a less than par instructor, I dread to imagine the kind of injuries they risk!

Parita @ myinnershakti February 1, 2013 at 7:07 pm

The only reason I haven’t tried CrossFit is because of the cost. It’s SO expensive! Oh and I’m intimidated too. Ha! The way it’s described makes it sound so intense. Maybe one day I’ll give it a go. 🙂 Have a great weekend, K!

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:36 am

It really is expensive…a month of XFit is about 3 times the cost I pay for a month at my gym (hence my hesitation to sign up)! Hope your weekend is off to a fab start :)!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 1, 2013 at 7:19 pm

It’s interesting to see your experience with it! I haven’t tried it, but it’s definitely on my list of things to do…maybe this summer?
I think the cost throws me off. Hell, I go to my crappy school gym because it’s free – I have trouble paying $30/month for a membership at the nice gym that’s only about a block further from me.

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:38 am

Between you and me, my main motivation to try out CrossFit before the end of Jan is because of the free trial sessions the box was offering for the full month ;)!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 1, 2013 at 9:54 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience, Khushboo! I always value your opinions and reviews because you have a pretty darn good head on your shoulders 😉 I’ve never tried CrossFit, and to be honest, I probably won’t. I tend to get kind of turned off by anything that seems to be the next big fad, and while CrossFit may be fun and a good workout, the cult following it has is just a little… scary. That and it’s a little too pricey for my tastes.

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:41 am

Your comment honestly made my day, Amanda..so thank you and I’m glad my opinions have some credibility! I couldn’t help but laugh at the bit about Crossfit’s cult following- whether or not I join, I don’t think I could ever become one of “those” ;)!

Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick February 1, 2013 at 10:19 pm

I tried crossfit for the first time and loved it. It was so intense and exactly what my body needed at the time. Now that I am training for a 10 miler and half marathon I won’t go to crossfit because I don’t want to injure myself. I will still lift weights and do strength conditioning but not on cross fit levels. After the races are over, I’ll probably pick crossfit back up. You have to know your limits.

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:42 am

Good luck with your running training! You’re being so smart about focusing on one goal at a time rather than trying to burn the candle on both ends :)!

Allie February 1, 2013 at 11:19 pm

I haven’t tried crossfit, but I’d like to! Not as my regular exercise routine, but as a way to shake things up every so often. But I’m with ya–I already pay for my gym membership, no way I can afford to spend even more on my fitness budget 😉

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:44 am

Seriously…just when did we become adults and start having to face budgeting issues ;)!

Alex @ therunwithin February 1, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I am with you, I did one trial and loved it. I literally was exhausted after, something I don’t feel all the time with a workout. But it is so dang expensive,I could never afford doing it

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:45 am

I do love the efficiency bit about CrossFit- it really is a reminder that workouts don’t need to be long, drawn-out sessions!

Brittany February 1, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I haven’t tried crossfit yet, but I want to!! I don’t know if it will be something I do regularly, but I def want to at least give it a go a few times!

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 12:45 am

I hope you try it soon- it’s worth giving a shot at least once :)!

Ameena February 2, 2013 at 3:26 am

I have a gym in my building but we have no organized classes so I have never tried Crossfit before…I hear good things about it!

Have a great weekend!

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 11:10 am

Thanks Ameena…hope you are having a fab weekend 😀

Honey What's Cooking February 2, 2013 at 3:58 am

So crossfit is basically 5 pushups, 10 squats and 10 situps for 7 minutes? I’m sure that is tiring. And then are you done after 7 minutes, or do you start all over? i’ll try that this weekend so I can do “something” on days I don’t go to the gym. Please let me know K. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Dude, didn’t know your mom is from SFO.. that makes you have American, or shall I say Amrikan? lol… my desi jokes.

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 11:13 am

Haha I think we did a very modified CrossFit workout. Although even doing as many rounds as possible of “5 pushups, 10 squats & 10 sit-ups” for 7 minutes is a great way to fit in a workout at home when time is an issue!

And I guess I am Umrican to a degree ;)!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish February 2, 2013 at 5:47 am

I applaud your bravery, Khushboo! Like you, Crossfit has been on my “must-try” list for a loooong time, however unlike you, I haven’t yet been able to muster the courage to try it! I’m giving myself the year; it MUST be checked off during 2013! Don’t be surprised if I first step foot in that Crossfit box on December 31st. 😉

Your salad looks delicious, and very similar to the one I had for dinner (save for the chickpeas + carrots; add butternut squash and avocado). 🙂 Happy weekend!! <3

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 11:14 am

Haha glad I’m not the only procrastinator around- I will hold you to trying it out before 2014 ;)! And your salad sounds yum- avocado & butternut squash MAKE a salad!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 2, 2013 at 7:54 am

Haven’t tried it before at an official place but good for your for doing so!! I will eventually try it when I am physically much better too, but for now I am staying away. I agree with the risk of injury bit too, good to keep something like that in mind 🙂

Khushboo February 2, 2013 at 11:15 am

I think you’re being smart about not trying it now just because it’s the craze- way to listen to your body :)!

Jess February 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I have never tried it! I’m curious to see how I’d enjoy it. There arent any convenient classes near me so I’ll probably wait awhile

Khushboo February 3, 2013 at 10:34 am

It’s worth trying at once- hope a nearby class opens up soon :)!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 2, 2013 at 7:41 pm

I tried Crossfit once… the injury thing held me back too. They were pushing me to add more and more weight but not correcting form. I felt like I was about to snap my back!

Khushboo February 3, 2013 at 10:35 am

The idea of doing timed deadlifts do not sit well with me at all! :-/

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition February 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Great pros and cons! That ecard is too funny:) Enjouy your weekend!

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition February 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm

*enjoy:)

Khushboo February 3, 2013 at 10:35 am

Enjoy your weekend too :)!

Lisa February 3, 2013 at 4:57 am

How exciting. I still haven’t tried Crossfit in a class. I’ve done the WOD type workouts at home, but nothing in a box. They seem like a ton of fun! Especially in that type of environment. The risk injury definitely keeps me back from it though, I’m always scared I’ll get injured!

Khushboo February 3, 2013 at 10:36 am

Although I might not sign up for a membership, I definitely think I’d do a few of the WODs at home…especially when I’m crunched for time!

Kate February 4, 2013 at 12:06 am

Would definitely love to try crossfit, what’s holding me back? Moneyz 🙁 $$$

Khushboo February 4, 2013 at 11:38 am

It’s definitely not the most cost-effective form of exercise :(!

Katy February 5, 2013 at 2:09 am

I’m glad you finally tried Crossfit! I love Crossfit but I dont’ think I would ever sign up at a box because it’s soooo expensive. I do similiar workouts on my own already and I have no problems motivating and pushing myself so I don’t see the need in handing out over $100 a month JUST to workout (my current gym membership is free because it’s a company gym). Another reason I don’t like it is because I plan all my workouts and try to balance it with intense cycling so I don’t like surprises and NEED to know what workout I’m doing.

..although if I were super rich, I think I would sign up at a box and go occasionally just for variety and because it’s a fun environment!

Khushboo February 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

Although the surprise element is fun, I can definitely get the frustration of not knowing what’s coming- and I’m sure it would get to me eventually if I was trying to balance it with workouts other than CrossFit!