Most people go to yoga centres to get their Om on. This weekend, I went to a yoga centre to get my nom on! For a change, a few friends & I decided to “break the fast” at The Yoga House in Bandra. Although there was a bit of grumbling about being up & ready before 10 am on a Sunday morning, it was worth getting out of bed for!
The aim of The Yoga House is to provide our guests with a better understanding and respect of the body and mind, to help them to participate more actively and joyfully in their daily life. I always associate yoga with a state of tranquillity, and this place only reinforced that stereotype. Its quaint set-up with a yoga studio, shop and health food café was a welcome change to Mumbai’s hustle & bustle.
The café is also very much in line with their mission statement. Taken from their site, The Yoga House’s food concept is a “subtle combination of cutting-edge macrobiotic recipes and ancient dietary wisdom and traditions.” Although restaurants in the West are filled with healthy options, I feel Mumbai is only just hopping onto the bandwagon. Each reflecting a way to nourish the body, the creative dish names also deserve a mention. As almost all the options on their all-vegetarian menu sounded yum, we shared a bunch of dishes including:
- I am Detoxifying (Quinoa burger with homemade hummus)
- I am Sunbathing (Mediterranean salad with creamy sunflower dressing)
- I am Dieting (Raw vegetable basket with Mediterranean dipping sauces)
- I am Completing (3 cereal Bento Lunch Box with brown rice, quinoa, and buckwheat, grilled tofu with red pesto, alfalfa sprouts, sweet potatoes, green leaves & broccoli)
- I am Fulfilling (Our signature tofu & brown rice stir fry)
- I am Energising (Yogurt bowl with fresh fruits & granola)
- I am Balancing (Seasonal fruits bowl)
I am usually not a juice person but they sounded too refreshing to not try. I went with the Pink Juice (pomegranate, natural rose water, and watermelon):
Unlike most restaurants, they’re selling more than food…they’re selling a lifestyle. Between the ambiance, classes, and food, The Yoga House is yoga to the core.
Any good eats this weekend? Share…!