The Yoga House: nom instead of om

by Khushboo on January 14, 2013

Most people go to yoga centres to get their Om on.  This weekend, I went to a yoga centre to get my nom on!  For a change, a few friends & I decided to “break the fast” at The Yoga House in Bandra.  Although there was a bit of grumbling about being up & ready before 10 am on a Sunday morning, it was worth getting out of bed for!

2013-01-13 12.11.55

The aim of The Yoga House is to provide our guests with a better understanding and respect of the body and mind, to help them to participate more actively and joyfully in their daily life.  I always associate yoga with a state of tranquillity, and this place only reinforced that stereotype.  Its quaint set-up with a yoga studio, shop and health food café was a welcome change to Mumbai’s hustle & bustle.

2013-01-13 12.11.19

The café is also very much in line with their mission statement.  Taken from their site, The Yoga House’s food concept is a “subtle combination of cutting-edge macrobiotic recipes and ancient dietary wisdom and traditions.”  Although restaurants in the West are filled with healthy options, I feel Mumbai is only just hopping onto the bandwagon.  Each reflecting a way to nourish the body, the creative dish names also deserve a mention.  As almost all the options on their all-vegetarian menu sounded yum, we shared a bunch of dishes including:

• I am Detoxifying (Quinoa burger with homemade hummus)

2013-01-13 11.36.30

• I am Sunbathing (Mediterranean salad with creamy sunflower dressing)

2013-01-13 11.40.15

• I am Dieting (Raw vegetable basket with Mediterranean dipping sauces)

2013-01-13 11.51.59

• I am Completing (3 cereal Bento Lunch Box with brown rice, quinoa, and buckwheat, grilled tofu with red pesto, alfalfa sprouts, sweet potatoes, green leaves & broccoli)

2013-01-13 11.32.11

• I am Fulfilling (Our signature tofu & brown rice stir fry)

2013-01-13 11.33.55

• I am Energising (Yogurt bowl with fresh fruits & granola)

2013-01-13 11.26.47

• I am Balancing (Seasonal fruits bowl)

2013-01-13 11.32.01

I am usually not a juice person but they sounded too refreshing to not try.  I went with the Pink Juice (pomegranate, natural rose water, and watermelon):

2013-01-13 11.24.44

Unlike most restaurants, they’re selling more than food…they’re selling a lifestyle.  Between the ambiance, classes, and food, The Yoga House is yoga to the core.

Any good eats this weekend? Share…!

Jess January 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Looks so good!!’ I want to go!!’ :)

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:24 am
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 14, 2013 at 6:53 pm

That’s a cool idea to have something like that in a yoga centre. That quinoa burger and hummus are looking particularly appetizing to me, even at 8:22 in the morning!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:25 am

Haha eating all that savory food for breakfast felt weird but sure hit the spot :) !

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 14, 2013 at 7:29 pm

That looks like such a cool, fun concept! And all the food looks delicious, especially the quinoa burger with homemade hummus. Yum!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:26 am

That was my favorite dish- we ended up ordering a second one halfway through the meal :)

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 14, 2013 at 7:41 pm

That’s such a cool idea! One of my (many!) dreams is to open a healthy cafe in conjunction with my studio. I definitely couldn’t go vegetarian though, haha!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:27 am

Haha me either! For religious reasons, I am vegetarian on Mondays (that means no eggs too) and by the time Tuesday morning comes around, I am ready for some meat ;) !

Alex @ therunwithin January 14, 2013 at 9:02 pm

oh my goodness I am so jealous, this food looks freaking amazing. so colorful and fresh

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:28 am

Along with the deliciousness, the colorful dishes definitely meant more visually aesthetic pics ;) !

Brittany January 15, 2013 at 12:19 am

Oh..MY..GODD!!! This place looks PERFECT!! Seriously probably one of the best looking restaurants I have ever seen in the blog world. I LOVE this idea! Did you guys get all that food?! AMAZING! I am so obsessed with that philosophy too, what an adorable place!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:28 am

Haha we did get all that food plus another quinoa burger & chocolate muffin- I guess you could say my friends & I kinda love food ;) !

Parita @ myinnershakti January 15, 2013 at 4:24 am

Looks like a cool place! I love how you share a different side of India. Thanks for that!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:30 am

Especially as I didn’t think these kinds of places existed here, it’s nice to see another side of India :) !

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 15, 2013 at 6:05 am

I have to admit that I’ve never come across a restaurant like that, but I love the idea behind it! And is it wrong that out of all the delicious bowls you showed, I find myself craving the “I Am Energizing” one the most? I seriously thought that my yogurt/fruit/cereal addiction would ease up by now, but it doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:31 am

Haha you and me both- ending breakfast is always kinda sad ;) ! I actually didn’t try the yogurt bowl because it had pieces of papaya- one of the few fruits which I don’t enjoy!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 15, 2013 at 7:16 am

Wowww what a cool cool place Khushboo! I have never heard of a restaurant like that but certainly wish there was one like it around me. I like the I am completing dish, what a satisfying lunch that would be!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

I am Completing was SO good- love that it contained more than one grain…especially as I’d never tried buckwheat prior!

P January 15, 2013 at 8:12 am

This place looks amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzing! Totally want the yogurt bowl and quinoa burger!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

The quinoa burger was spot on – so yum :) !

Shreya @ rushofendorphins January 15, 2013 at 10:29 am

Looks like an amazing place! It seems like Mumbai is really catching up in terms of healthy dining… I wonder when it will be Singapore’s turn!

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:34 am

Now if only Mumbai can get a Brown Rice Paradise equivalent ;) !

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 15, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I think I much prefer yoga houses where I can get my “nom” on rather than my “om” on! ;) Not that I’ve been to any, but seeing as I haven’t stepped foot in a yoga studio for three years, I think it’s safe to say that I gravitate towards food more frequently than I do towards “flow.” ;)

I love the concept The Yoga House is selling–that food, like physical activity, is an essential ingredient (literally and figuratively) for nourishing the body. And my goodness, does the food look good! “I am Sunbathing” and “I am Completing” are calling to me the most, however the colors in “I am Balancing” look rather wonderful as well! xoxo <3

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:33 pm

Food definitely trumps flow in my books ;) ! I’m glad you agree that without a good diet, it’s almost impossible to reap the entire benefits of yoga.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 15, 2013 at 6:51 pm

That place looks awesome! As much as I love going out to restaurants for big, indulgent meals, it can be so nice to go out for healthier meals like this too. Especially when the food looks as good as this! The I Am Energizing and I Am Completing would be my favourites, I think.

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:35 pm

So true about healthier restaurants being as satisfy as those which serve indulgent meals- it all comes down to the quality of ingredients and taste, regardless of the calorie count!

Kailey January 15, 2013 at 8:22 pm

that place looks like the most relaxing environment to have a good meal :) The quinoa burger looks fabulous

Khushboo January 15, 2013 at 10:36 pm

You can only imagine how relaxing a place it is…I truly felt like I was on holiday- great temporary escape from Mumbai!

Allie January 16, 2013 at 12:02 am

Mmm, if all yoga studios did this, I might be tempted to take up yoga ;D Love all the good, whole eats! And the super yoga-ish names, haha.

Khushboo January 16, 2013 at 11:24 am

Haha I’d definitely be more motivated to practice yoga if every session ended with a meal like that ;) !

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 16, 2013 at 6:21 am

I want a big bowl of I am Detoxifying!!

Khushboo January 16, 2013 at 11:26 am

Coming right up ;) !

Honey What's Cooking January 16, 2013 at 8:39 am

wow, this place looks awesome. it seems like Mumbai has a lot more hip places than in the rest of the country. the brown rice and tofu just looks AWESOME!

this weekend I enjoyed brunch at a latin place.. had chicken enchiladas, out of this world.. i’ll have to write it up soon.

and btw.. I haven’t tried Lindt Coconut, none of the grocery stores I go to has that flavor.. so annoying.

Khushboo January 16, 2013 at 11:27 am

Chicken enchiladas?? I’ve never tried ‘em but they always look so delicious! Next time I’m in London, I can post you a bar of Lindt Coconut- not sure it would make it to you all the way from Mumbai :) !

Cait the Arty Runnerchick January 16, 2013 at 11:21 am

that’s so neat…i am the most inflexible person ever and usually look for any excuse to not get my om on because i stink at yoga…BUT i would drop anything to get my nom on. :P

Khushboo January 16, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hahah you and me both, my friend :) !

Kym January 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm

Vegetarian never looked so good! YUMMMM! I love the names too and I would love to dive into that I Am Fulfilling bowl right now.

Khushboo January 17, 2013 at 11:44 pm

The dish names definitely added a nice touch to menu!