Happy landings

by Khushboo on December 5, 2012

Man I feel like yesterday was the longest day of my life: 10.5 hours in the air, 3 hours transit, 19 hours door-to-door and I’m finally back in London:

As exhausting as the whole travel process can be, I actually kinda like it: it’s like an ongoing rotation between sleeping, listening to music, watching movies, eating, and a bit of shopping.  Despite a 6 AM wake up call, unfortunately I slept a grand total of half an hour.  On the movie front, I finally saw Friends with Kids which was good time pass.  There were also a few episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S (always hilarious) and Suburgatory thrown in (terrible).

As for eating, I usually pack food on flights and actually wrote a post about eating healthily on board a few months back.  Aside from breakfast (a PB & J & a sachet of protein powder) and KIND bars, I kinda winged (wang/wung?) it for the rest of the journey.  Either I’m becoming less picky or airport/flight options have improved because my eats weren’t too shabby:

• Iced Coffee from Coffee Bean Tea Leaf (with chocolate whey protein blended in) and a PB & J
  • Soy Cappuccino – Starbucks, DXB Airport
  • Greek salad with Chicken & Flatbread: Cosi, DXB Airport
  • Raw Veggie Platter (pre-ordered)

Thank goodness hummus & fruit were included

• Yogurt with Honey (bought from DXB Airport)
  • KIND Bar
  • A lot of black tea and a few apple juice spritzers

It’s colder than I expected, I’m jet lagged as hell, but I couldn’t be happier to be back!  Now time to figure out an outfit for today that will keep me somewhat warm #wishfulthinking.

Anyone else find themselves a lot more snacky than normal while travelling?

How do you stay entertained on board?

Vandana December 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Hey Khushboo, glad to hear that you’ve reached London safely. My recent journey was filled with surprises but I was happy with the food at airports/airplanes. I travelled frm Vizag (India) to Kuantan (Malaysia) thru Singapore. My dad n me ate dinner before we started but still I felt like sampling airline food. SO when I asked for veggie options, everything was finished but I got Veg noodles of seaweed n mushroom flavor (never in my life would i ever have gone forward with such a combo but this time I tried it and it was nice!!). At Changi airport, I had toast with kaya (coconut jam). That too was good. But transit was 7 hours, so later I had another hot chocolate with a bagel at our very own Starbucks… apart from a visa fiasco at Changi (luckily was resolved), the trip was pretty much alright.
Since the whole trip was at night, I slept the whole way. Until I got off at the final destination.

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Kaya toast is so yummy…especially with the peanut spread 😀

Jess December 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Have fun in London!!’ so jealous!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Thanks, JEss!

ritika December 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

everything about this post exudes FUN! magical times ahead, i see.
and you are so right about the whole eatingmore when on move. i am forever snacking when travelling, it defies logic though, there’s no boredom, so boredom pecking is ruled out.
hmmm, excitement noshing, we will call it?

ritika December 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

everything about this post exudes FUN! magical times ahead, i see.
hmmm, excitement noshing, we will call it?

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Excitement noshing- sounds good to me 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig December 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Brr! Welcome to London!! It is freeeeeeeezing, and the first signs of snow today 😀 How long are you here for?

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Gah it is SO cold, right! I’m here for 3 weeks…this week is quite hectic with a wedding but if you’re free some point next week, I’d love to meet up 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig December 6, 2012 at 12:35 am

Today was the first day I didn’t ride my bike into work because it was just too cold!

And of course!! Just let me know what days/times work for you x

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 12:13 am

Great, will get in touch early next week 🙂

Parita @ myinnershakti December 5, 2012 at 6:45 pm

When I travel, most of my meals are snacks. I love that you made healthy choices when I’m sure there were temptations around. I always get sucked into buying an ice cream cone or milkshake at the airport!

And recently on flight, I’ve been listening to podcasts I’ve downloaded. It helps when the plane doesn’t have individual screens to watch TV. 🙂 Have so much fun in London!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Good call on the podcasts! Fortunately all international flights seem to have individual screens although they would be ideal to listen to at the airport!

TorontoRunner December 5, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Glad you’re there safe!! Can’t wait to hear what you get up to. Beat that jetlag girl!

I definitely find myself wanting to munch on any and everything when travelling. Maybe it’s because I’m so tired? hmm!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Tired, bored, excited….whatever it is, something is revving up my appetite ;)!

Allie December 5, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Glad you’re happily back in London! Can’t wait to hear about your upcoming adventures 🙂 And oh my gosh, I get so snacky and bored on long flights. And airplane pretzels just don’t cut it. It also doesn’t help that I fly cheap and usually only have one awful movie choice.

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Those airplane pretzels are pathetic…they barely put a dent in my hunger ;)!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 5, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Woot! So glad that you had a safe trip! But holy.cow what a tiring day. I have to go through the same thing whenever I want to go visit my family in Poland, and yeah… by the end I seriously feel like a shrivelled up raisin with no life left in me 😆 And I’m definitely a huge snacker when I travel. I don’t usually bother trying to eat real meals, but end up snacking on things like fruit, yogurt, trail mix, bars, cookies, crackers, chips, etc for the whole day. Oh, and coffee… lots and lots of coffee 😀

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:56 pm

What’s the flight time from Canada to Poland? Long I imagine?

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 6, 2012 at 12:42 am

Ugh loooong. First it’s a 3 hour flight to Toronto, and then from there it’s like another 8 hour flight to Warsaw.

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 12:13 am

Sounds just like Mumbai-London…and it is damn long!

Alex @ therunwithin December 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm

gosh that flight sounds rough, have a great trip though!

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Thanks Alex!

Alexandra December 5, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Have fun girl!!! I can’t wait to see the pics, London is just SUCH a cool place! I went about 12 years ago with my parents around this time of year and DANG you aren’t kidding about it being freezing haha 😀

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:57 pm

My only advice to people coming here on one-off occasions: COME IN SUMMER! This weather is too brutal to contend with ;)!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 5, 2012 at 11:19 pm

I get snacky, but I think it’s just boredom. Bringing my own stuff helps, but I’m always tempted by the Biscoff cookies. 🙂

Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 11:58 pm

Man I have never been served those cookies on board but perhaps that’s a good thing…they are SO yum!

Brittany December 6, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m definitely snacky while traveling, mainly because I get bored. Glad you made it safe! I can’t wait to hear all about your upcoming London adventures!

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 12:15 am

FLying is one of the occasions where I don’t even bother fighting boredom eating…just go with it!

Corrie Anne December 6, 2012 at 8:16 pm

That is a LONG day of travel. I definitely snack more because I tend to be in places at weird times for meals. I always read a lot when I travel.

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 12:16 am

I don’t know why but I find it hard to read proper books on board…only magazines!

Shelly December 6, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I find myself snackier when I travel as well. I think it’s due to travel making me so physically tired. Way to go on your healthy snacks!

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 12:16 am

The lack of sleep & exhaustion definitely revs up our appetite during travel!

Natalie @ Free Range Human December 6, 2012 at 10:50 pm

I’m definitely snacky while traveling. It’s almost as though your brain flips a switch and says “It’s ok! You’re on vacation!”!

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 12:17 am

Haha our brains are in a world of their own ;)!

Kat December 6, 2012 at 10:57 pm

GAH i hate flying. Which is why I will never travel unfortunetly. But yes I do find when I take the train or am going on a long drive, I am more snacky. Maybe because my routine is thrown off?

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 12:18 am

Ah do you tend to get air sick? A friend of mine does and it really ruins the travel experience for her!

Katy December 7, 2012 at 2:02 am

Pretty good and healthy eats even when traveling. That’s a good achievement!!

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Thanks Katy- luckily they all tasted great too 🙂

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish December 7, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Cheers to arriving in London safely! I so wish I could be there with you; it’s one of my favorite cities in the world. I’m looking forward to following your adventures; I’ll be living vicariously through each and every post! 🙂

You really DID eat well while you were traveling! I’m especially impressed with the raw veggie platter; next time I travel internationally, I’ll be sure to make a special request ahead of time. . Even though most airports in the States offer “healthier” options now, it’s still hard to find a salad that’s not laden with cheese and dressing. I used to pack mini meals in my carry-on, but now I opt for snack foods because they’re easier to manage in the airport or on the plane. A few of my favorites: carrot sticks and hummus (I’ve been lucky getting the little snack packs through security), string cheese, hard boiled eggs (but NEVER eaten ON the plane due to the confined quarters, haha), Luna bars/KIND bars etc., protein powder (I always have 1-2 scoops of way in ziploc bags), and seaweed snacks.

As for inflight entertainment: if Friends is available, I’ll always watch an episode (or 5). I also enjoy taking the time to completely relax and indulge in a good book or a trashy magazine. 😉

Khushboo December 7, 2012 at 3:43 pm

THe worst thing would be to pack a meal on the flight and then have it get confiscated in security…that’s another plus one for snacks :)! Your options sound great and I’m glad you are considerate about where you eat your hard-boiled eggs ;)!

honeywhatscooking December 10, 2012 at 8:51 am

omg.. where is all the desi plane food from Mumbai to Dubai? Lol! You are such a healthy eater, i’m such a PIG when i eat on planes, i eat EVERYTHING and it’s usually greasy Indian food going to/from India. I stay entertained usually by watching lots of movies… sleep… and eventually I’ll land. It’s funny, a 19 hour journey will take me to India, and a 6.5 hour journey to London. I feel your pain, I cant’ handle flights more than 8 hours… it’s annoying.

Khushboo December 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Hahah oh there was desi food..I just stay far far away from it ;)!