My current favorite packed lunch…

by Khushboo on October 12, 2012

Gah, why is it already Friday!

…said no one ever!

I don’t know about you but I am more than ready for it!  Weekends are usually the part of my week where I seem to eat more indulgently than normal.  As much as I enjoy eating healthy, life is too short to always say “no” to dessert or a glass of wine. It’s all about striking an 80/20 balance…or in some cases 70/30 ;) !

With regards to the “80” bit of the equation, I thought I’d share an article a friend of mine sent me (Hi Sonia :D ): The 31 Healthiest Foods of All Time (with Recipes). I was glad to see some of my favorites listed including almonds, apples, broccoli, lean meat, oatmeal, salmon and quinoa.  Speaking of quinoa, I can’t get enough of the stuff for lunch lately.  I’ve had the same lunch 3 times this week and am already looking forward to the next time I make it:

Quinoa Salad with a couple of Boiled Egg Whites

I can’t do hard-boiled yolks

Nothing fancy but it’s just so delicious and easy!  I wish I could provide you a recipe with exact quantities but there really isn’t one.  It’s basically a mix of:

• Cooked quinoa
  • Whatever veggies you have on hand (my current favorites are sautéed mushrooms, onions, zucchini, broccoli and green beans)
  • Basil
  • Garlic powder
  • Chickpeas

Combine the above, and top with feta and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

As the choice of protein, veggies & herbs is endless, I can’t see boredom kicking in anytime soon.  I know eggs being considered vegetarian is a grey area, but if you count it, this meal is more proof that a vegetarian diet can be high in protein too!

How many of the 31 foods do you eat regularly?

What did you make for lunch this week?

Allie October 12, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I love big bowls of quinoa & stuff like that! And I’m all about 80/20 (…70/30…) as well. You have to have balance! I’m visiting the fam this weekend, so there will be lots of homemade “20″ foods…I can’t wait :D That list reminds me that I need more kale in my life.

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Ohh have the best time with your family! Eat enough kale for the both of us…I’m yet to find some in Mumbai!

Parita October 12, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Quinoa “garbage bowls” are my favorite! And love that list – probably because I eat a lot of those foods regularly, except for the meat and skim milk. :) I think I’m going to try making kale chips at home this weekend – they’re all the rage and sound like they’d be great paired with some hummus!

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm

You will LOVE kale chips…I could eat a bag worth of kale in the form of chips in one sitting!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 12, 2012 at 8:13 pm

My sister sent me that article the other day! I eat them all except kidney beans and milk. Both of which I do not like. The chocolate and red wine are my favorites on the list, obv. :)

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Chocolate and red wine…I knew I liked you for a reason :) !

Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 12, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I actually think I did say “why is it already Friday?!” a couple of times… like when I had exams/projects due on that day ;) This week I’m definitely ready for the weekend though. And I love so many of the foods on that list, but I’m kind of on a hiatus with a lot of them because I think my stomach needed a break after I spent so long eating a diet that was so high in fiber. Still, I’m clinging to: blueberries, bananas, spinach, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, bread, almonds, milk, yogurt, chocolate, and olive oil :D

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

High fiber diets can be pretty “shitty” – pun very much intended :D ! Glad to see chocolate & yogurt still on your list!!

Sonia October 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm

thanks for the shout-out girly. trying your recipe tom. xo, sonia
ps: write a book! have i suggested that before? ;)

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Haha I think you may have mentioned it but I could be wrong ;) ! Hope you enjoyed the recipe!

Alexandra October 12, 2012 at 9:18 pm

YUM! That bowl looks fab! :D
That list is super cool too– I think my favorite on it though would have to be bananas– I just can’t get enough banana soft serve!!! :D

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Ohh banana soft serve is SO good…it’s a LEGIT ice cream alternative!

Alex @ therunwithin October 12, 2012 at 11:20 pm

i am a huge egg white eater, I do love them. apples will always be my go to fruit so easy and delicious.

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Same here on both notes….love that apples are available all year wrong in almost every country!

Christina October 13, 2012 at 1:17 am

Yum! Looks amazing!

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 3:59 pm

It tastes amazing too :)

caloricandcrazy October 13, 2012 at 10:29 am

I don’t like hard-boiled yolks either ><! But egg whites? Yum yum! They're so fun to cut into and add to salads :)

Khushboo October 13, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I love yolks drippy or in an omelet, but I just can’t get myself to eat them hard-boiled!

Min October 13, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Yea baby! I just took a look at the list, and it seems I eat every single one of those at least once a week! At least being the key ;) . Your lunch sounds a lot like mine! It’d be funny if we had lunch together. On Sunday, I always cook up a batch of quinoa, steam or roast some veggies, cook some sort of lean meat, then dump and mix for an incredible awesome and satisfying meal! And chickpeas are a must too! We’re lunch twins ;) . As for the dressing, the sky’s the limit isn’t it? bbq sauce, marinara, salsa, balsamic vinaigrette, sriracha… fun!

Khushboo October 14, 2012 at 11:49 am

Great minds, my friend! I used to make quinoa every time I wanted to eat it. Such a waste of time- batch cooking is the way to go!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish October 13, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I love recipe-less salads like this! Some of my best creations were born by throwing the contents of my fridge in a bowl. Who knew leftover sweet cinnamon-roasted squash would be so delicious with savory hummus tahini dressing? ;-p

Lists like this make the nutrition nerd in me so giddy! I love all of these foods (except those containing gluten), and eat most of them on a regular basis, however many of them are super high fiber, so I have to be careful. ;) My favorites on this list: almonds, bananas, Brussels sprouts, salmon, spinach, sweet potatoes and pumpkin! Oh, and red wine (preferably in sangria form). ;)

Hope you’re enjoying your weekend!! xoxo <3

Khushboo October 14, 2012 at 11:50 am

Hummus tahini dressing? I need more details! When you make your trip to Mumbai (bc it will happen one day ;) ), I’ll take you to try some of the best red wine berry sangria :)

Katy October 13, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I love quinoa salad too except I make it with an olive oil, salt and pepper dressing. So good! My fav lunch has to be tuna salad (with romaine and tomatoes) though. Easy and yummy.

Khushboo October 14, 2012 at 11:51 am

As much as I love tuna steak & sashimi, I just can’t get myself to eat the canned variety!

Brittany October 13, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I hateee hard boiled yolks..the chalkiness is just too much!! BLECH! I love reading lists like this to find that I eat so many of these “healthy” foods! I’m having a 70/30 kind of weekend ;) .

Khushboo October 14, 2012 at 11:52 am

Hope you’re especially enjoying the “30″ part of your weekend :)

Corrie Anne October 14, 2012 at 8:18 am

Yum!! I loved hardboiled eggs but never make them because Kevin isn’t a fan!! I love that list! I eat tons of those!

Khushboo October 14, 2012 at 11:53 am

Kevin sounds like my sister- she isn’t fan either …at all!

Shannon (Healthiful Balance) October 14, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Mhmm, quinoa salad sounds delicious! I used to eat hard boiled egg whites as a snack. Now I cant.. I prefer them with the yolk. :)

Khushboo October 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I think it’s a texture thing for me! I love replacing the yolk with some peanut butter or hummus :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 14, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Ummmm delicious! Meals like this, big bowls of grains, veggies, proteins and great flavors, are just the best! Especially for on-the-go meals, which I am ALL about these days haha

Khushboo October 15, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Yes! It definitely is great in terms of portability- one container, everything in it & balanced!

JoJo October 15, 2012 at 10:09 am

I love quinoa!
Healthy meals don’t need to be so complicated :) I’ve really into Israeli cous cous right now, it’s so quick and it goes with anything, great for lunch to pack to school :D

Khushboo October 15, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Love Israeli cous cous…more so than the normal kind! Must be a texture thing :)

Prachi October 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Hey, can i ask where do you buy quinoa in Mumbai? TIA.

Khushboo October 15, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I normally bring it back from London/Dubai but it’s currently also available at Crawford Market!

Prachi October 15, 2012 at 1:43 pm

thanks! I just thought of FoodHall at Palladium, have a feeling they might be stocking it as well.

Btw, great blog!

Khushboo October 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Thanks, Prachi! And good idea about the Food hall at Palladium!

Sonal October 15, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Just read this list, there are so many foods in it that i love! Including: sweet potatoes, kale, flax seed, chia seeds, almonds and salmon :D This quinoa salad looks so delicious!

Khushboo October 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

We share a lot of favorite foods- love me some healthy fats :)

Alexis @ Hummusapien October 15, 2012 at 6:21 pm

OMG love that ecard! So funny. I love reading about what people take for lunch. I could eat like a million hard boiled eggs at a time…love them. I’ve never combined them with quinoa but I’ll have to try it out! What isn’t delicious topped with feta and balsamic!? YUM!

Khushboo October 16, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Agreed- feta and balsamic is a great combo….even better if watermelon is added for a touch of sweet!