The deal with my meals

by Khushboo on September 19, 2012

Happy Wednesday and by happy, I mean thank goodness for public holidays which fall mid-week!  So although my blog is primarily focused on nutrion & fitness , I rarely ever document my daily meals.  In the 2.5 years I have been blogging, I’ve posted a grand total of once about a full day of eats.  This is mainly due to the fact:

1. I don’t always remember to take photos of what I’m eating
  2. I’m not a fan of room temperature food…which is what my meals would probably turn into if I photographed them first
  3. I am a pretty boring eater

With regards to the last point, I go through phases with a handful of meals/snacks, and rotate between them until I’m bored.  Here are some of the meal options I have been enjoying lately:

Breakfast a.k.a my favorite meal of the day:

• Oats soaked overnight with yogurt, milk, chia seeds & cinnamon…topped in the AM with ½ scoop Sunwarrior protein powder, pomegranate seeds, almonds & peanut butter

Lunch

• Quinoa salad
  • Scrambled eggs with peanut butter toast & crudités
  • Chicken, chickpea & feta salad
  • Lentil salad with hummus & anything else I can find in the fridge ;)

Afternoon Snack:

• Some “kind” of bar
  • Almonds & raisins

Dinner

• Taco salad with veggie mince
  • Gado-gado with grilled chicken
  • Veggie sausage & feta stir fry
  • Chinese egg stir fry
  • Grilled fish & veggies

Dessert

• A couple of squares of the best chocolate known to mankind
  • Yogurt mixed with ½ scoop chocolate protein powder, pom seeds & almonds

Although the idea of repeating meals may sound boring to some, it works for me.  I always enjoy my meals & it saves me the effort of having to constantly think up meals.  That being said, every so often inspiration hits and if I’m lucky, it makes its way into my meal rota ;) !

What have you been breakfasting/lunching/dining/snacking on recently?

Sable@SquatLikeALady September 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I am the same exact way! I get into ‘ruts’ with the same meals over and over!

Khushboo September 19, 2012 at 10:35 pm

As long as we enjoy them, meal ruts aren’t bad at all right :) !

Alex @ therunwithin September 19, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I am the same way, I like my food at a hot temperature or at least the temperature it should be at. Your eats do look amazing though!

Khushboo September 19, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Exactly! I eith like properly cold or properly hot food…preferably not in between!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I definitely hear you on falling into grooves with your meals. There was a time where I was constantly obsessing over trying new things every day and getting in as much variety as I could, and it was exhausting! I spent so much of my day thinking about food that it was just getting ridiculous. These days I tend to eat a lot of the same things, and although it may not be as interesting, it works 100x better. Breakfasts are usually yogurt with cereal, fruit, and nut butter. Lunches are some type of wrap/sandwich with deli meat, cheese, and veggies. Dinners are chicken, veggies, and some type of grain. Snacks are usually fruit, yogurt, cookies, trail mix, more cereal, bars, or Popchips. Predictable, but delicious :)

Khushboo September 19, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Love that you referred to it as food grooves instead of ruts! Your meals sound so yum and who cares if they are predictable! I’m just the same about overthinking my meals in the past- constantly coming up with different options is mentally exhausting and makes me way too obsessed with food…and not in an enjoyable way!

dixya September 19, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I go through phases i think. Sometimes I am making new recipes while other times i m happy with shakes and pasta repeatedly..currently i have been trying to eat three meals regularly being mindful about what i eat because sometimes cooking takes toll and eating outside is unhealthy + expensive! Breakfast- usually greek yogurt and fruits, lunch and dinner is so random..

Khushboo September 19, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Agreed about cooking taking its toll…especially as all those taste bites add up without us realising it!

Kym September 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I haven’t done any food posts b/c the presentation of my food doesn’t always look appetizing, i just pile on what i need to eat! haha! This is why i won’t be good for those WIAW posts :P Anyway, I will usually cook the same of something until i get tired of it… right now my favorite thing to cook is kimchi fried rice!

Khushboo September 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Haha a majority of my meals aren’t photogenic but I swear they taste great! LOVE kimchi…have you posted a recipe?

Kym September 19, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I haven’t posted a recipe but it’s really easy to make! I just saute garlic and mushrooms, then mix in my rice (day old is better), then i break a few eggs and mix it in, after i get the rice to the crispness i like, i mix in the kimchi and a bit of sriracha. You may want to mix your kimchi with a little water in a bowl before mixing it in w/ your rice… that way, it’ll distribute the flavor better. Some days i mix in bacon as well. YUMMMMMM!

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 10:13 am

Thanks! I’ll let you know if I give it a shot!

Alexandra September 19, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I get in major food ruts all the time too!! Like lately, I’ve been eating eggs with peanut butter, banana soft serve, and okra in some way every day for like the past month! I can’t get enough of those three haha
Your eats rock, I love love love the looks of the pomegranate seeds in your breakfast– I can’t wait for them to come in season here!

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

I went through a phase with okra too..come to think of it, I don’t know why I stopped especially as it tastes SO yum grilled!

Allie September 20, 2012 at 12:23 am

I love repeating meals! So fast and easy that way, plus, if I know I like it, why mess with it? Haha :) It all looks DELICIOUS, so I’d definitely eat your meals again the next day.

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 10:15 am

Exactly…I’m all about the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” notion :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 20, 2012 at 2:36 am

I don’t think that looks boring at all! Especially the dessert. :)

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 10:17 am

You have to try it- I am almost certain you’d love it!

Corrie Anne September 20, 2012 at 3:13 am

I am all over english muffins, eggs, sweet potato fries, salad, and grilled food lately! And zucchini!!!

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 10:18 am

I am hooked on zucchini too lately…it’s so yum grilled & so versatile!

Megan September 20, 2012 at 4:43 am

Love the new look! Sorry, you’ve probably had it for ages!

How good is Lindt chocolate?! I need to get my hands on the caramel one. Chocolate + caramel + salt is such a good combo.

I’ve been having eggy oats for breakfast, salads with brown rice or quinoa for lunch, and dinner all sorts of combos :-)

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 10:19 am

Thanks, Megan! I hope you’re able to get your hands on this Lindt flavor soon- SO tasty….but then again, which Lindt variety isn’t ;) !

Brittany September 20, 2012 at 5:28 am

Doritos salsa!?!? That looks life changing!

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 10:19 am

Ah I wish it was…it’s good but Old El Paso is still the best for me :)

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish September 20, 2012 at 9:36 am

I am definitely a “phase eater!” I currently have three go-to breakfasts, and they’re all some variation off eggs (puffs, omelet or hard-cooked) always served with sauteed spinach/onions/garlic, and about a half cup of pumpkin mixed with stevia and cinnamon on the side. It usually takes me at least a year before I grow tired of these variations! (I ate coconut flour pancakes for 1.5 years nearly every single morning until suddenly, one morning, I couldn’t eat them anymore). :-p Lunch and dinner are a bit different, as I like a little more variety. However, I’ve eaten crispy baked tofu salads with lots of Parmesan cheese several times this week!

Lindt chocolate is definitely the best chocolate known to mankind. I LOVE the dark sea salt, as well as the Lindor truffles, when I’m feeling a bit more indulgent. ;) xoxoxo

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

The Lindor truffles are THE best….they’ve come out so many new varieties lately including peanut butter! I am still yet to try it but something tells me that I won’t be disappointed!! Have you tried the Dark choc with Coconut? If you’re a coconut fan, you need to ASAP!!

Katie September 20, 2012 at 10:21 am

The yogurt dessert mix looks amazing!

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 11:53 am

I’m addicted! Really feels like a dessert :)

ritika September 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

thanks for this lovely post, so many amazing ideas.. an once a week feature like this would be incredible :) pretty please.
and you are so right about the temperature – super cold or piping hot works for me too!
again a great post, a weekly feature would be so great

Khushboo September 20, 2012 at 11:54 am

I’m glad you enjoyed it…as much as I would love to make it a weekly feature, I don’t change up my meals enough so I’d be lacking in content haha!

Reena September 20, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I love your blogs!!! been following it for like 4-5 months!

Ok could you please tell me wht exactly you do with the oats (breakfast), i use quaker oats, can i soak them with milk overnight?
and I have never used chia seeds so gonna try tht as well..

Also, can you share the recipe of Taco salad with veggie mince and Quinoa salad. I am an eggeterian and these pics lookd yummy to me ..

I still cant get my quinoa right u knw…

greats posts!!

Tc!
Reena

Khushboo September 21, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Thanks Reena, glad you enjoy my blog :) ! I’ll definitely share the recipes for the taco salad & quinoa soon! As for the oats:

Quaker oats is fine. I soak 1/3 cup each of oats, soy milk, plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon chias & 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. In the morning I add my toppings and a little milk to loosen it all up! It’s SO yummy so please give it a shot!

Reena September 25, 2012 at 11:04 am

OMG Khushboo!! I m just having the famous “K Oats” (the recipe u shared above” I havent EVER loved my oats sooo much.. love the chilled versiob…

THANKSSSSS a ton

Khushboo September 25, 2012 at 4:17 pm

SO glad you enjoyed them..I’m sure you can finally understand my oats (and breakfast) obsession!

Kat September 20, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Im a total repeat meal offender. I have toast with fruit almost every morning in the summer and in the winter its oats. Everyday. And I never get sick of them! And adding pom seeds to oats? I bet that tastes AMAZING!

Khushboo September 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Love how our taste buds naturally change with the seasons…I crave fresh fruit like no other when it’s hot outside!

Alexis @ Hummusapien September 20, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I try to vary what I eat but there are definitely the usual staples…oats/eggs in some form for breakfast, salad/homemade veg burger/hummus for lunch + an apple, and tofu/quinoa/veggie combo for dinner plus lots of hummus and triscuits or something with peanut butter snack on!

I always tell my friends that blogging means cold food…by the time you take pics the food is ALWAYS cold! Oh the woes of a blogger…. :)

Khushboo September 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Hahah cold food is definitely a case of #bloggerproblems…as is bad lighting ;) !

caloricandcrazy September 21, 2012 at 4:53 am

Scrambled eggs with PB sounds so interesting! I should give it a try sometime :D

Khushboo September 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Another yum combo is replacing the yolk is hard-boiled eggs with peanut butter!

Jess September 21, 2012 at 3:43 pm

I think most of us are the same! I definitely repeat meals!!! A lot!!! That food all looks awesome. And I’m so pleased you included Lindt in your regulars – an Essential part of a healthy diet if you ask me!!!

Khushboo September 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Agreed…life without chocolate is frankly kinda boring ;) !

Shannon (Healthiful Balance) September 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Sometimes I forget to take pictures of my food, too. Luckily my family reminds me to sometimes. :)

Love all your eats! Especially the chocolate in your dessert. Mhmm, that chocolate is SO good!

Khushboo September 21, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Lindt is by far the best chocolate out there! Although that being said, I love Kit Kat almost as much :)

Sonal September 21, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Oh my gosh yumm this had made me so hungry right before lunch! haha. Ur meals are delicious! I agree with eating the same thing on a rota.. just so easy! If i’m feeling adventurous I might make some something new and then depending on its easy to make level/ tastiness it may have more appearances. Btw I tried the BEST Lindt dark choc….hazelnut!

Khushboo September 21, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Ohh boy why haven’t I tried/seen that flavor yet?? Love all things hazelnut! For the amount that I buy, I really need to invest in Lindt shares haha :) !

Honey What's Cooking September 25, 2012 at 6:41 am

Aren’t you in love with KIND Bars? I LOVE THEM. but i try not to over do it cuz it’s still packaged.
I’ve been trying to find those coconut lindt chocolates, still have no luck.

Khushboo September 25, 2012 at 4:16 pm

KIND bars are so good- I actually just had one but like you, I try to limit my consumption! Hope you find the coconut Lindt soon…I’m now obsessed with the Dark With Caramel & A Dash of Sea Salt variety!