What’s in my fridge…

by Khushboo on August 15, 2012

Between its contents, variety, and quantity a refrigerator can reveal plenty about an individual:

Although I’ve been wanting to do this post for a while, I thought I’d hold off until I was back in London.  Let’s be honest: those containers of leftover daal & rajma alongside packets of whole milk  in our fridge in Mumbai say nothing about me.  In other words, our fridge in London reveals much more about my style of eating & preferences, so here goes:

TOP SHELF

• Greek yogurt,  Individual pots of flavoured Rachel’s yogurt, Vanilla Rachel’s yogurt–> I guess you could say I like yogurt
  • Cottage cheese
  • Tupperware filled with cooked quinoa, chickpeas & roasted squash for grab-and-go meals
  • Can of Coke: I live with my brother

MIDDLE SHELF

• Water & wine: Always stay hydrated
  • Fruit: blueberries, apples, bananas, cherries , nectarine & grapes
  • Spinach, in a packet that’s too big to fit anywhere else
  • Leftover tofu, which I paid way more than I should have at Holland & Barrett

BOTTOM TWO SHELF (i.e. where the miscellaneous items go)

• Cheese: Philly garlic & herb and mature cheddar slices
  • Hummus a.k.a. a fridge essential
  • Cheap & cheerful chocolate: Dairy Milk, Bounty, Kit Kat Chunky

• Carrots
  • Cos Lettuce

CHILLER SECTION

• Salmon
  • Chicken breast fillets
  • Turkey breast slices
  • Container of prawns, which is only opened for effect
  • Turkey salami

FRIDGE DOOR:

• More H20
  • Milk: skimmed & lactose-free coconut milk
  • Eggs & a half-used onion
  • Butter
  • Condiments, including Ketchup, Dijon mustard, red chutney, Chinese stir fry sauces & wasabi

So basically:

• I like food a lot..hence the full fridge
  • I’m not a vegetarian nor am I lactose-intolerant
  • Busy schedules aren’t an excuse for resorting to ready meals..invest in Tupperware and batch cook ahead of time
  • Alongside my mass consumption of vegetables, there’s always room for wine & chocolate
  • Oh and speaking of chocolate, I need to badly stock up on Lindt

What’s always in your fridge?

Ameena August 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm

This is a large fridge by London standards! I am really impressed by how full it is. Ours is perpetually empty as the concept of leftovers throws me into a panic. But the one thing that is always in our fridge is a carton of eggs!

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm

As convenient as leftovers can be, they also give me stress to finish them before they go off- hate throwing food away purely because it’s spoiled!

Alexandra August 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Ooh I always live peeking into people’s fridges, I’m always curious about that stuff haha Yours is SO organized and healthy!! Care to come over and give mine a makeover?? ;)

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 7:06 pm

Haha I’m on my way :)

Tessa@AmazingAsset (@Tessa8m) August 15, 2012 at 4:59 pm

I always like to see what other people have in their fridges.. we have a lot of similar stuff! I feel the same way about yogurt btw, do delicious and my fridge is full of it! Yours is so organized too, very impressive! Sometimes mine is, but more often than not, I find myself throwing things back in in a place they just fit haha

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm

I won’t lie, my fridge wasn’t as organised before photo-taking ;) !

д§mд August 15, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Oh wow, how do U utilize all these varied vegies? After each grocery shopping when my fridge is fully packed, I find ways to empty it out as fast as I can ;) How much time do you take to empty it?

your brother has only 1 representation in whole fridge? :)

ps: plz Ive got scores of Lindt and other swiss chocs stored in my choc cupboard … take ‘em away from me .. we dont eat chocs :(

Khushboo Thadani August 16, 2012 at 2:58 pm

My mom, brother and sister eat pretty healthy too so eating up these veggies never seem to be a problem!

forgottenbeast August 15, 2012 at 11:07 pm

I love fridge posts (and all your veggies)! And you’re so organized!

Khushboo Thadani August 16, 2012 at 2:58 pm

I’d be lying if i said our fridge was always this organised ;) !

Min August 15, 2012 at 11:17 pm

That’s a good looking fridge, I must say! Love everything!! Looks awfully like mine except yours is a lot more organized..and clean!! Yes yes..always make room for chocolate and wine ;)

Khushboo Thadani August 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I’m glad u agree about the wine & choc :)

Parita August 15, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Loving all the fresh produce! I’m sure your brother is enjoying your company and cooking skills! :)

I always have to have almond milk in my fridge…so lost without it!

Khushboo Thadani August 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Haha I hope so- I made him a packed lunch for work the other day..I think he enjoyed it :)

caloricandcrazy August 16, 2012 at 4:35 am

I love the yogurt collection :D !
And what’s a London fridge without Cadbury’s chocolate ;) ?

Khushboo Thadani August 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Exactly! As much as I love Swiss chocolate, English choc cannot be beat!

sprint2thetable August 16, 2012 at 9:51 am

Seeing into others’ fridges is so much fun! Yours looks a lot like mine. and oh yeah – there’s always room for wine and chocolate. :)

Khushboo Thadani August 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Always :) !

ritika August 16, 2012 at 12:44 pm

i absolutely love this post, love to peep into others’ shopping carts, refrigerators etc..
and it’s so organized, I waste nearly 7-10 mins each morning standing, squatting in front of the fridge looking for what i want [ditto for my closet too]. love your vege section

Khushboo Thadani August 16, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I’m with you about the closet- so many options yet no idea to wear :)

sonalii1988 August 16, 2012 at 2:54 pm

K this fridge is amazing! equiped with everything you would need (and most of the ingredients for a green monster if your feeling a little wild ;) ). I love how you clarifed that the prawns are open just for effect loll. When i think of essentials in my fridge usually soya milk, carrots, tahini and olives come to mind! :) Not quite sure where we are going with that!

Khushboo Thadani August 16, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Love that tahini is a staple for you…so random yet so good…have you ever tried it as a salad dressing?

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish August 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm

A completely agree–there’s ALWAYS room for wine and chocolate! :-)

I’d eat everything in your fridge, but I’d probably start with the Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, avocado and hummus. I might sneak a few pieces of the Cadbury bar too. ;-)

Items that are always in my fridge include: eggs (tons!), spinach, red onion, goat cheese and guacamole!

Khushboo Thadani August 17, 2012 at 3:18 am

Ohh how could I forget goat cheese…I’m tempted to call it my favorite cheese (after cottage)!

Corrie Anne August 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Can of coke — I live with my brother. HILARIOUS!!!!

My fridge always seems empty! We eat too much!!! Haha

Khushboo Thadani August 17, 2012 at 3:19 am

Ha gotta appreciate a hearty appetite :)

Christina Does It All August 16, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I want my fridge to look like yours! Mine usually looks sad and empty except for coffee cream, leftovers and condiments haha

Khushboo Thadani August 17, 2012 at 3:19 am

Haha as long as you got some good condiments, you can make any meal taste good :)

Kym August 17, 2012 at 1:41 am

and i thought MY fridge was full! Haha! What I always have in my fridge: mushrooms, tofu, eggs, chicken, beef, pasta, fruits… and of course the occasional bar of Lindt Dark w Sea Salt. hehe!

Khushboo Thadani August 17, 2012 at 3:20 am

Try the Lindt with Caramel & TOuch of Sea Salt if you haven’t already- I’m a big fan!

Alex @ therunwithin August 17, 2012 at 7:21 am

You got one great, healthy fridge!

Khushboo Thadani August 19, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Yep :)

Katy August 18, 2012 at 2:28 am

Love this! Beacuse I’m so nosey. :P

I’m going to do this too but once I stock up my fridge. It’s so bare right now because I haven’t gone grocery shopping all week.

Khushboo Thadani August 19, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Love opening my fridge right after a grocery shop :)

Honey What's Cooking August 18, 2012 at 11:58 am

good post K. Impressed you eat so much organic food… if I was in London, I’d be eating out like every single day. It’s nice to balance it especially since you have family there. what’s always in my fridge? I’d have to say whole grain bread, yogurt, and cheese. always need something to snack on. :)

Khushboo Thadani August 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I seem to be eating out constantly over here…which in a way sucks because we have so much good food at home that I wanna eat too haha!