Staying active in London

by Khushboo on August 13, 2012

Workout ruts: we all fall into them every so often.  By my last few days in Mumbai, I started dreading my workouts.  I loved the endorphins but needed a mental break from the gym.  Fortunately over my past week in London, I’ve found alternative ways to stay active.  Here’s hoping it balances out the delicious food I’ve been eating:

• Outdoor runs/walks: They say the best things in life are free, and I couldn’t agree more.  The liberating feeling & scenic view which comes with a run/walk through Hyde Park is beyond any feeling I get from being on the treadmill.  With the Olympics going on, the park is even more buzzing with large screens showing live coverage of the games, actual matches taking place at the Serpentine, and various stalls set up.

•  Body pump classes which are offered at a local community fitness centre.  After a year of not attending a class, I was “pumped” to say the least.  For those of you unfamiliar with body pump, it’s a full body workout class, which incorporates barbells and adjustable weights.  As each track is assigned to a specific muscle group, body pump focuses on low weights with high repetitions. Although I definitely prefer lifting slightly heavier weights with lower reps, this class gave me the strength training workout which my body was craving.

• Tabata training: I first heard about this from Parita and have been hooked since.  I am going to elaborate on this later in the week, but essentially it’s a form of high intense interval training.  Especially as it requires minimal equipment and only takes 4 minutes to boost your heart rate & metabolism, I can always fit it into my day.

Besides these direct forms of exercise, I am overall more active in London.  As I’ve mentioned in the past, the lifestyle in Mumbai is fairly sedentary.  Whether I’m walking to the bus stop, browsing Oxford Street, or carrying grocery bags I am constantly on my feet in London.  Especially with the weather being close to perfect during the past week, walking has also become my preferred form of transportation…and hence reduced the need to whip out my Oyster card.

Poached eggs, smoked salmon, spinach on walnut toast – The Providores on Marylebone High Street

How have you been staying active lately?

Alexandra August 13, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Great ideas! I bet running outside and looking at all the scenery is so fun 😀
I’ve been staying active by lifting, riding my bike, and walking my dogs 🙂

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:10 am

Man I need to learn how to ride a bike…it’s about time!!

Alex @ therunwithin August 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Those eggs, runny and glorious. The thing I love about being in new places is doing walking as a workout. I just love to walk!

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:11 am

I agree- it’s such a great way to see more of a city!

Parita August 13, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Yay for tabatas! Glad it worked out for you. Let’s continue to share as we find new workouts. 🙂

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:11 am

For sure- always think of u when I do them 🙂

forgottenbeast August 13, 2012 at 8:15 pm

What gorgeous poached eggs! And I miss belonging to a gym with body pump classes–I agree, on a regular basis I’d rather lift less and heavier, but it makes for a GREAT change of pace.

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:12 am

For sure, and if anything it’s a great way to build endurance!

sprint2thetable August 13, 2012 at 9:25 pm

OMG, those eggs!!! I simply cannot ever get enough of a runny yolk. Or even pics of runny yolks. Is that weird? LOL!

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:12 am

Haha not weird at all. Truth be told, I’ve eaten much yummier food this trip however this picture was too drool-worthy not to share 🙂

Tessa@AmazingAsset (@Tessa8m) August 13, 2012 at 9:57 pm

First, the poached eggs look absolutely perfect! Nice work there and now I am craving eggs like no other…
These are such great tips and ideas too. It takes the anxiety (for me) out of traveling when I know I can still workout anywhere. Also, walking around a lot certainly counts as a sufficient workout!

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:13 am

I used to scoff at the idea of walking as a workout but I’ve totally embraced it lately- love it!

Kym August 13, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Great ideas on changing it up while remaining active! Lately, i’ve been adding walks during my lunch breaks – it’s summer afterall and it’s just nice to feel the sun + breeze and enjoy what’s around! 🙂

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:13 am

Also a great way to get your vitamin D intake 🙂

Min August 13, 2012 at 11:49 pm

I haven’t tried tabata or or body pump! I would like to someday. I want to work on my endurance so lower weights, high rep sounds perfect! I just started eating drippy eggs..life changing 😉

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:15 am

Especially as you take a barbell class, I think you’d love body pump!

Tara August 13, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Well you have to take advantage of the weather while it lasts…which it clearly hasn’t 😉 I love tabatas. It’s the only form of cardio I do!

Khushboo Thadani August 14, 2012 at 3:16 am

Haha seriously- I wanted to cry when it started drizzling today!

Living, Learning, Eating August 14, 2012 at 3:56 am

Exploring counts! Can you post more about tabatas, I can’t even imagine – 4 minutes and you’re done?

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 2:14 am

I will definitely post more about tabatas later this week 🙂

cakewhiz August 14, 2012 at 7:25 am

it’s nice to see that you are staying active through all these different exercises. the same routine everyday gets boring …

i have been losing my pregnancy weight by doing kinect exercises and i love it. i can chose whatever exercise i want to do and follow along with the animated instructor and i can change things up everyday. it’s so much easier than hitting the gym with my little one still under 6 months….he plays in his bouncer while mommy works out…lol. i think he finds me jumping around entertaining…lol

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 2:15 am

Love that you’re finding ways to fit in exercise as a new mother, rather than use this time as an excuse NOT to work out 🙂

Corrie Anne August 14, 2012 at 10:08 am

Tabata training is a really great idea for vacation! It was finally cool enough for me to run outdoors today so that was exciting!

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 2:16 am

I can imagine- running in the heat is so unpleasant!

sonalii1988 August 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm

London is so fun when your walking around the city, especially if you don’t know where your going to end up somewhere new like i tend to do haha! Glad the weather has held out for you! 🙂

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 2:16 am

Haha despite having lived here for 8 years, I STILL manage to get lost occasionally!

ko0ty August 15, 2012 at 12:41 am

In the summer I love running, biking and hiking! I spend so little time in the gym but I do miss the strength training sometimes… which I do so much of in the winter.

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 2:17 am

It’s nice to switch it up every so often, although I too would miss strength training 🙂

Honey What's Cooking August 15, 2012 at 8:48 am

omg, that egg looks so good, almost like an eggs florentine. so that’s what the card is called, an oyster card? in nyc it is a metro card.
if you know of any good places that serve up traditional english breakfast, let me know. 🙂

Khushboo Thadani August 15, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Yup an oyster card…very handy if you are using public transport!