My new favorite app…

by Khushboo on August 1, 2012

Happy August, homies!  My last meal in July (and second in August thanks to leftovers) came courtesy of Whole Foods.  It’s no surprise that each WF store is a treasure chest of healthy foods, but fortunately this extends beyond their supermarket aisles.  Over the weekend, I downloaded their app and have been addicted it to it since.  Thanks to the Internet and other blogs, I rarely (okay, never) feel the urge to pick up a recipe book…and now this app gives me even less of a need to.

More than just being a compilation of recipes, the Whole Foods app caters to individual preferences. For example, you can refine your search by course (Appetizers, Beverages, Desserts, Main Dishes, etc), category (Budget, Entertaining, Family Friendly, etc), or special diets (Dairy Free, High Fiber, Low Sodium, etc).

Alternatively you can list ingredients which you currently have at home and it’ll suggest suitable recipes.

There’s also a nifty shopping list feature and a store locator.  The latter has no use to me…at least not for 4 more days when I’m in London baby!

I was craving chickpeas last night and after swiping through their recipes, I opted for their Mediterranean Garbanzo Salad.  Before I rave about just how fresh & delicious it tasted, I’ll tell you one thing:

If I’m trying a new meal on a weeknight, recipes with over 10 ingredients are automatically vetoed.

I stuck to their recipe for the most parts, but also made a few amendments:

• I sautéed the veggies with onions and then chilled in the refrigerator
  • I nixed the kalamata olives
  • I added in rotisserie chicken for a bit more substance
  • If I had feta (or any cheese for that matter) at home, it would have undoubtedly made an appearance

….and in case you were wondering, yes it is a free app :) .

What was the last recipe you tried?

And for my fellow Apple users: what app can you vouch for?

Parita August 1, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Definitely downloading that app tonight! I love that it gives you recipes based on what you have on hand – perfect for those nights where nothing good comes to mind. Thanks, K! You may have just made my life easier!

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Exactly- and unfortunately those nights have recently been happening a little too often!

Min August 1, 2012 at 7:14 pm

OOh!! Thanks for sharing!! I’m downloading the app right now!! Have you heard of kakaotalk? It was actually started by Koreans and so people think you MUST be korean to use it..not so! In a nutshell – you can text and call anybody with this app for free..unlimited!

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Hah anything free sounds like a winner for me! That app sounds great…very similar to Viber! I use that a lot to call my sister in China for a grand total of zero Rupees :D

Alex @ therunwithin August 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm

how cool! and man does that dish look good.

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

It really was- and quick too!

girlinjammies August 1, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for sharing. Will definitely check out the app today.

*Discovered your blog few weeks back, de-lurking today :)

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Thanks for delurking and please comment more :D !

forgottenbeast August 1, 2012 at 11:52 pm

That sounds like the coolest app! I love the option to search based on what you have. No way I’m hitting the grocery store on non-shopping days, I just want to grab what I have and make something fast (and totally agree with you on the too many ingredients veto on weekdays).

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Hahaha non-shopping days..love it! Especially when I’m in London: I always find some reason or another to enter a supermarket almost daily!

forgottenbeast August 2, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I used to live next to a Whole Foods–I definitely found or made an excuse to grocery shopping every day then :D Now I have to drive across town for it–definitely not a daily journey.

Khushboo Thadani August 3, 2012 at 1:41 pm

So Whole Foods has opened up near our flat in London- I have a feeling it’s going to be a daily trip for me ;) !

Katy August 1, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I can’t remember the last recipe I tried but my next recipe are Chinese sweet egg custard buns (or “lai wong bao”). These are my favorite at dim sum so I really want to try make them at home.

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Those buns sound delicious! I love dim sum but don’t think my culinary skills extend to making them on my own…at least not yet!

Errign August 2, 2012 at 1:24 am

I think the last recipe I tried was one that I modified to make a sweet ice cream recipe out of… :)

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Ohhh what flavor?

Priyanka August 2, 2012 at 4:06 am

The salad looks absolutely fantastic.

Considering I am downloading all mum friendly apps these days, white noise is something I completely vouch for. It not only puts my baby to sleep but I am out as well (although I really don’t need an app these days to sleep)

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Thanks for sharing about this app- gonna check it out! Have you heard of Sleep Cycle? Apparently it regulates your REM cycle so that the alarm goes off at the perfect time!

Brittany August 2, 2012 at 5:12 am

What a cool app!! I am so lame, and hardly download any new apps.. Pandora is the one I use the most. I have been getting some photo editing ones though.

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I really need to download some photo editing ones….I’m still a photo newbie and edit my photos on Microsoft Photo Editor or, worse yet, Paint hahah!

livinglearningeating August 2, 2012 at 6:07 am

That’s so cool that Whole Foods has its own app – but I’m still busy freaking out over Instagram. I just got a smartphone and love it!

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Instagram is so addictive…and I won’t lie, it makes me feel like quite the pro at taking photos :D

Christina Does It All August 2, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I must have this app! Awesome! :)

Khushboo Thadani August 3, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hope you enjoy it!

sprint2thetable August 2, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I LOVE their app! My other staple-app is Instagram (obv) and Sleep Cycle. Sleep Cycle is an alarm app that wake oyu in your lightest sleep state. I get up SO much easier thanks to it.

Khushboo Thadani August 3, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I actually downloaded Sleep Cycle but haven’t tried it out yet- I am much more inclined now after hearing that it works!

cakewhiz August 3, 2012 at 1:50 am

what an awesome app! i will have to check it out…
lately, i have been downloading kiddie apps with ABC’s and 123 for my little one…lol

Khushboo Thadani August 3, 2012 at 1:42 pm

That’s so cute- your kid must be so enamored by technology :)

Tessa Merrick (@Tessa8m) August 3, 2012 at 5:59 am

Very cool app, thanks for the heads up on it! I have an iPhone but I def do not utilize it to the best of its ability, need to work on that, and being pointed new apps helps :) Thanks lady

Khushboo Thadani August 3, 2012 at 1:42 pm

You are most welcome- as much as I use my iPhone I’m sure there is still SO much other stuff I am yet to make use of!

Honey What's Cooking August 3, 2012 at 7:33 am

very cool Khushboo. I have that application. love this salad, it looks so healthy and tasty. love it. I haven’t really tried any recipes lately.. i just make my own, but I made low fat oatmeal cookies, it was great. :-) Happy August!

Khushboo Thadani August 3, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Oatmeal cookies- my favorite :)

Corrie Anne August 3, 2012 at 10:06 am

I tried a blueberry lime salsa recipe today. So delicious!!!! My favorite app is Nike Training Club. And probably the Spotify music app.

Khushboo Thadani August 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Wow that salsa sounds GREAT!

Sig August 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I love Runkeeper! I actually use that as a guide when I run rather than my Garmin because I’m lazy like that hahah. But this app looks amazing – even without a WF near me the recipe ideas are so so handy to have.

And yes – that salad looks delicious! I think it’s a must-make soon :)

Khushboo Thadani August 3, 2012 at 5:39 pm

If you do try it, make extra as the leftovers tasted even better than the first time around..probably because the flavors had more time to absorb!