The ultimate BOGOF

by Khushboo on July 30, 2012

BOGOFs: one of life’s “cheap” thrills.  For those of you who don’t frequent supermarkets, BOGOF is an acronym for “Buy One, Get One Free”.  The other day, I scored the ultimate BOGOF at my gym just as my first lot of personal training sessions was about to expire…or actually an BTSGTF: “Buy 36 Sessions, get 12 Sessions Free”.  As I am not one to turn down a good offer, I naturally got on bored ASAP!  Bargains aside, I would have signed up for more sessions regardless.

A little supermarket humor…

After completing Body for Life , I knew I wanted strength training to remain a pivotal component of my workouts.  Even after 12 weeks on the plan, I still wasn’t fully confident with my form & approach, which is why I signed up for personal training sessions.  In the past, I’ve dabbled with several personal trainers, only to be disappointed with the results.  Fortunately, I finally found a trainer who I connect with and who brings out the best in me.

Currently, I’m dong 4 weight training sessions with her a week (2 upper body & 2 lower body) and 2 cardio sessions on my own.  This is the least amount of cardio I’ve done since I started working out, but I am more than enjoying this focus on weight training.  Aside from seeing definite strength gains, there are 3 main reasons which have made working out with a PT worth it for me:

1) Form: If you want legit legal advice, you go to a lawyer; if you want proper financial advice, you go to a financial advisor; if you want assistance with your workout form, you go to a certified personal trainer…that’s a no-brainer!  Looking back at the way I used to complete certain moves (e.g.squats) makes me cringe: my form could not have been more off.  Fortunately I didn’t suffer any injury but it was probably only a matter of time.  Now with every single rep, my trainer either corrects or me or ensures that my form is on par: Back tight, chest out, push your hip more back, bring your elbows straight down…yeah yeah I get it ;)!

2) Extra Push: After my last rep of barbell step-ups on Saturday, I said these exact words to my trainer: “If it weren’t for you, I would have given up 5 reps ago.”  It’s so easy to underestimate our body’s capabilities, and ultimately hinder our own progress.  Those final 2-3 reps are the ones that count most, and having that external source of motivation has helped me overcome that self-doubt and mental block.

3) New Moves: As my main “problem” area is my core, she has me doing plenty of unsupported movements including front squats.  Like regular back squats, they target your glutes, hamstrings and quads but the added bonus is that they are KILLER on the core.   Because the barbell is resting across the tops of your anterior deltoids (a.k.a. the front part of your shoulders), the front squat requires core engagement for stability, much more than regular back squats.   It sure makes a nice change to countless crunches & planks.

While time will tell how long I continue to work out with her, one thing’s for sure: I’m locked down for at least another 3 months :)!

What kind of workouts have you been loving recently?

Alex @ therunwithin July 30, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I need classes but due to my financial situation I haven’t been able to aka I have done no strength training. I am always looking on Groupon for deals like that – glad you found a way to get some great training in.

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Mumbai needs to start a Groupon-style system….could always use an extra bargain ;)!

Karina July 30, 2012 at 7:20 pm

What an amazing deal! I’ve also been working out with a personal trainer and I love it. I’ve realized I can push myself so much further having someone there telling me I can do it. Can’t wait to train with you next time we’re together x

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Same here…ahem make London happen, madame!!!

Parita July 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I am really loving tabata workouts lately – a good mix of strength and cardio in ~24-30 minutes! Awesome!

And I know I owe you some information on that…coming your way soon!

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I can’t WAIT to check out those Tabata workouts you sent me- you are a star…THANK YOU!

Errign July 30, 2012 at 10:31 pm

I’ve just been loving running really. I like my bike, but I haven’t been on it much and strength training is practically non-existent at the moment for me.

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I’m ashamed to admit that at the ripe age of 24, I don’t know how to ride a bike! Strength training or not, well done on keeping active :)!

Min July 30, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I’d love to work out with a trainer, but as a poor student, the financial burden is hard to ignore. That’s a super awesome deal you got there though!! Good for you!!
I’ve done bikram yoga everyday for almost a year before..I ran like nobody’s business..but now I’m doing strength training 4 times a week and yoga twice. I’m taking group classes from my gym, and my FAV class is barbell strength class! Can’t wait to see your hard-rock body!! 🙂

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm

A barbell strength class sounds AWESOME- is it similar to body pump?

Min July 31, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I’ve never taken body pump. I wish it was offered at my gym. It’s basically a full body workout using barbells. You can adjust the weight to what feels right for you. I’ve been able to increase the weight slowly (very slowly), and it’s so empowering!

Khushboo Thadani August 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Sounds great- I definitely agree about weight lifting being empowering :)!

Brittany July 31, 2012 at 1:16 am

I would lovee to train with someone who really knows what they are doing, but for now I stick to my solo workouts (or with my boyfrann.) Lots of running, lots of biking, yoga, and stretching! I love that you got that awesome bogof! YAHOO!

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:27 pm

With all that running, cross training and yoga-ing you are going to crush that half marathon 😀

Corrie Anne July 31, 2012 at 9:31 am

That’s awesome!!! I am always tempted to sign up for pt sessions. I should probably get a job first. I would love it for the new moves. The barbells intimidate me!

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Hahah I won’t lie…I feel kinda bad ass when I use barbells…even more so when I have to add on plates ;)!

ritika July 31, 2012 at 10:01 am

wow sounds great, but somehow i have had no luck with trainers, though gold’s gym hyderabad was super an exception, else trainers haven’t been able to really inspire me, perhaps i am to be blamed equally.

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 3:28 pm

It’s definitely rare to find a trainer who you instantly click with, especially as so many of them are more interested in making a buck than your actual progress!

sprint2thetable July 31, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I have been loving all of my heavy lifting workouts. I completely identify with you on the trainer pushing you to do more than you would on your own. Mine has me squatting more weight than I would even think about doing on my own!

Khushboo Thadani July 31, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Way to go on the squatting PR- such a good feeling when you KNOW you’ve maxed out your limits :)!

Kym July 31, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Glad i stumbled upon your blog! 😀 I used to underestimate the importance of form, just for the sake of being able to lift a certain weight….. and here i am now, healing from a back injury! I definitely learned my lesson there! 😛

Khushboo Thadani August 1, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Welcome Kym!! Sorry to hear about your back injury but glad it is healing :)!

forgottenbeast July 31, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I would love to do some sessions with a trainer–I can definitely see how it would give you that extra push. I just need to find a sweet BOGOF deal ;D

Khushboo Thadani August 1, 2012 at 2:07 pm

If you ever do come across a BOGOF, it would be criminal to not make use of it ;)!

Priyanka August 1, 2012 at 1:10 am

I have been away from workouts for too long now and plan on setting up some fitness goals for myself.

I am guilty of categorizing my groceries the way they have to be bagged and get really pissed if they are not done as placed.

Khushboo Thadani August 1, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Haha I am glad you could relate to the grocery pic- it drives the OCD part of me loco!

Sable Weisman (@SquatLikeALady) August 1, 2012 at 5:49 am

SUPER smart of you to continue working with a trainer!!! It took me about a year until I was 100% comfortable lifting without Max watching me and I definitely think my caution paid off!

Khushboo Thadani August 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Although it’s kinda annoying to initially be repeatedly corrected on form, it’s made such a difference overall- I’m so much more conscious about not repeating those same mistakes!

Renee Andrea Reddy August 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

Score on the bargain BTSGTF! Go you for getting loads more strength training in! I am currently trying to add in a few more strength workouts during my week I just feel like I am hitting a plateu with all this cardio and the strength I am doing now is mixed in with cardio doubt it’s enough! Have you needed to up your protein intake accordingly ? Yep I agree with Min, can’t wait to see you totally ripped and putting us to shame haha 🙂

Khushboo Thadani August 1, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hahaha long way to go till I’m ripped! I have made a conscious effort to eat more protein but not to the point that I’m chugging shake after shake :)!

Ameena August 1, 2012 at 4:13 pm

During Ramadan my workouts slow down considerably. I go to the gym but move SO slowly. Still 19 days to go….

Khushboo Thadani August 2, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m so impressed that you can bring yourself to go to the gym during Ramadan- achievement in itself 😀