APP-etizing puy lentils

by Khushboo on June 27, 2012

It’s official: I need to buy shares in Apple.  I looked at my bed last night and saw this sprawled across:

Add any more to the above and it’ll be iBroke.

I made the switch to an iPhone on Saturday and since then, I have acted like a kid with a Gameboy…or whatever this century’s equivalent is.   Over the past 5 days, I’ve pretty much eaten my words: this is hands-down one of the most superior gadgets I have ever spent money on.  It’s not a phone: it’s a mini computer that allows you to make phone calls…which are free thanks to the Viber app ;) !

I am not even going to list all the apps and features which I love about it because it would take too long.  I will, however, tell you one thing about the iPhone which has been a Godsend.  And no, that’s not being able to play Words With Friends on the go.

Thanks to the phone’s camera, gone are the days where I want to blog abut a certain dish, and then spend ages taking countless pictures in order to get the right lighting.  One touch and I’ve got the perfect shot.  On that note, here’s my first “iPhone” recipe:  Puy Lentil Salad.

You know how eating certain foods automatically makes you feel virtuous? This is definitely one of those, and it tastes fantastic too, so really it’s a win-win!

Puy Lentil Salad

Ingredients

• 90g Puy lentils (uncooked)
  • 3 Tablespoons carrots, chopped and blanched
  • 3 Tablespoons onions, sautéed
  • Large handful of chopped parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery seed (or 2 tablespoons chopped celery)
  • 1/2 garlic clove minced (or 1/2 – 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
  • 1-2 Tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and lemon to taste

Method

1. Boil the lentils for about 15-18 minutes, or until it becomes firm.
  2. Drain out the water and rinse the lentils under cold water.  Refrigerate.
  3. Once the lentils have cooled, add in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
  4. Chill & garnish with parsley prior to serving.

Just for the record, I haven’t yet dabbled with Instagram but I can only bet that it will contribute to my iPhone APP-reciation ;) !

Are you an Apple convert?  If so, what do you love about it? If not, it’s just a matter of time…mark my words!

Alexandra June 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm

bahahahaha ibroke ;) you always make me crack up!
That recipe sounds awesome, I love all the greenery! And DUDE you gotta join instagram, you’ll be addicted!

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I know I know….although I’m kinda scared to join because chances are that’s more time wasted gah! :)

Alex @ therunwithin June 27, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Those lentils do look good, my family always cooks with them for my dad’s favorite lebanese dish but I have never made them myself. May have to give it a try!

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Definitely do…lentils in general seem so much for difficult to cook than they actually are!

sprint2thetable June 27, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I’m an Apple whore. And yes, it will make you iBroke. LOL!

Love those lentils! Adding this recipe to my protein-rich meals to make. Thank you!!!

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Hahah love this comment- whores all round :) ! Hope you enjoy the lentils!

Corrie Anne June 27, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I love Apple!!!!! I love my iPhone so much. Lol. I want to get one of the new laptops too!!

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I referred to my iPhone as my baby..now that’s love ;) !

forgottenbeast June 27, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Gorgeous salad! And I have an iPhone, and I have to admit…I’m not a big fan. It leaves me too connected to everything. I’d rather have a dinky little phone that makes calls and does nothing else–but since work insists on my having an iphone, well, free is pretty hard to beat…

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I can definitely see what you mean about being too connected..sometimes it’s liberating to leave my phone at home and be uncontactable. Jealous your work actually paid for your iPhone though!!

JoJo June 28, 2012 at 1:13 am

Since my macbook broke (water all over it.. blame the baby!) I’ve been using a Dell a neighbor let me use… I miss my macbook!!! I’m thinking of buying a small macbook air like yours. It’ll be nice to have a compact one I can carry around!
Still not giving in to the smartphone thing though :)
The Lentil salad looks amazing!

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Haha I have to say, I do applaud your restraint from buying a smartphone…especially when they are EVERYWHERE!

Renee Andrea Reddy June 28, 2012 at 2:26 am

Yum, this lentil salad looks really good! Def adding to my list of to-make soon! I have never made a lentil salad before so I’m really looking forward to it! Sadly the only Apple device I own is my iPod which I adore! But I’m a Blackberry convert…don’t think I will ever be persuaded to iPhone!

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Haha trust trust me, I felt the same about my Blackberry…once you go Mac, you don’t go back!

Tessa Merrick (@Tessa8m) June 28, 2012 at 5:35 am

Mmm that lentil salad definitely looks good… I heart anything with lentils, so this is a winner if you ask me! As for Apple stuff, I am in love! My macbook and iPhone are the best items ever :)

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Hail Steve Jobs right?? :)

Honey What's Cooking June 28, 2012 at 6:11 am

the salad looks yummy. OMG, the iphone is amazingggggggg. I was so annoyed at my husband when he got it for me, but after a couple days I loved it. I love Suduko (sukuku) , that game with numbers. and iTunes. it’s so addictive.

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Haha if your husband buying you an iPhone is one of his “annoying” qualities, I can only imagine what an amazing guy he is overall! :)

Gayatri June 28, 2012 at 7:43 am

iBroke LOL! I have an iPod touch and an iPad but no iPhone yet. I’m bullying my husband into changing that this summer! That salad looks delicious. Can’t wait to set up my new kitchen and try it :)

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I think your husband should buy you one as a “Congrats for a successful move” gift!

Sig June 28, 2012 at 2:21 pm

um HUGE Apple fan – ever since the days of the Classic Mac. Evs just bought the new iPad and I actually really like it.

Sigh. I think we are going to be iBroke too :D

Khushboo Thadani June 28, 2012 at 4:19 pm

At least one thing’s for sure: broke or not, at least we’ll be iEntertained ;) !

ritika June 28, 2012 at 5:42 pm

the lentils look fab, i am waiting for the delhi heat to subside, and then can crawl my way to the kitchen. :)

Khushboo Thadani June 29, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’ll trade you Mumbai rain for Delhi heat :) !

Jennifer June 28, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I was an apple convert. When I was in university I needed a reliable laptop with a LONG battery life and apple was the way to go big time. Since I finished school though, I’ve reverted back to PC. Although awesome, mac’s can get a little frustrating cause tons of stuff isn’t compatible. I still am an iPhone girl though! Can’t live without it.

Khushboo Thadani June 29, 2012 at 11:11 am

Speaking of long battery life, that’s my only complaint with my iPhone..the battery life is pretty crap! Although it might be because there’s so much to do on it that I can’t put it down (and hence drain the battery in the process) ;) !

Errign June 29, 2012 at 3:12 am

I am not an apple convert, just because I am lazy. I do have a couple ipod though :)

Khushboo Thadani June 29, 2012 at 11:11 am

As you have an iPod, you’re slowly getting sucked in ;)

Sable Weisman (@SquatLikeALady) June 29, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I’ve started to migrate over to the Apple bandwagon…I had to buy a new laptop about a year ago and I picked a Mac – I LOVE it! It just makes everything so simple.

Khushboo Thadani July 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm

It really does…it’s does everything Microsoft does and more ;) !

Living, Learning, Eating June 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Dear goodness, that looks good! LOVE LENTILS. <3 And yes, though I tried to resist – Apple won me over.

Khushboo Thadani July 1, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I feel you…it was just a matter of time before I needed to take a bite of Apple ;) !

Nada July 1, 2012 at 3:27 pm

That salad sounds fantastic, definitely going on my to-make-soon list :)
As for Apple – being a tech and design junkie I’m all over my iGadgets, and don’t even get my started on my Instagram addiction!

Khushboo Thadani July 1, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I just made my Instagram account but I have a feeling that once I get going, it won’t be long till I’m addicted :) !