Something is NOT always better than nothing

by Khushboo on June 15, 2012

Can I get a ‘Hell yeah‘ that it’s Friday?  Although this week actually flew by, I’ve spent the whole day feeling exhausted.  I’m starting this post in my car (I’m not driving) on the way to a meeting and my eyes slowly keep shutting…oh boy!

Fortunately I generally sleep like a log baby but last night was an exception: from 4 – 5:30 am, I was wide awake to the point that I replied e-mails and played a few rounds of WWF (Words With Friends, not World Wrestling Federation ;) ). I blame it on the iced coffee I “cleverly” drank 4 hours before getting into bed…at least it tasted great!

When my alarm went off a few hours later, I should have snoozed.  Instead I hit the gym with the “Something is better than nothing” mindset, and ended up having  one of the most demoralizing workouts in a long time: dumbbell weights which I crushed on Tuesday felt 10 times heavier.  I was over the workout before I even started.

Lesson learned: Something is NOT always better than nothing. If we’re talking time, I’ll always advocate that even 20 minutes of exercise beats nothing at all.  But if you’re sleep-deprived, spare yourself the half-assed workout!  Sleep is probably one of the most underrated basic necessities.  Where exercise is concerned, chances are little sleep will result in a workout which is approached with less awareness or intensity…or both. Exercise should make you feel energized and if that’s not the case, give your body the rest & recuperation it deserves.  Another day, another workout!

On a separate note, it’s now evening and I’m about to hit “Publish” while I’m sipping on another iced coffee. Am I worried its gonna keep me up tonight? Who cares…it’s Friday, baby :) !

What do you consider as “little” sleep?

Alex @ therunwithin June 15, 2012 at 7:27 pm

ha, those pictures are hilarious. Sleep is always a priority!

Khushboo Thadani June 16, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Love Sommeecards!

forgottenbeast June 15, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I actually sleep an amount most people consider too little–6 hours in one night is a lot for me–but I wake up naturally and don’t feel tired, so I figure that’s just what my body needs. I do nap like a baby all weekend long though! But that’s just plain relaxing.

Khushboo Thadani June 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

As long as you feel good with 6 hours, it probably is enough! I’m good with 7!

sprint2thetable June 15, 2012 at 8:31 pm

That Haiku was me this morning! I definitely slept in and am still trying to convince myself to go workout. So hard to get back into a routine after vacation!

Khushboo Thadani June 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

That’s probably the only downfall about going on holiday- getting back into the swing of things!

Alexandra June 15, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Hahahaha that haiku is the story of my life! I slept like poop last night thanks to a huge thunderstorm…I forsee a nap later today haha

Khushboo Thadani June 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Hope you got your nap in…although I gotta say- I do love sleeping when it’s raining outside!

Tessa Merrick (@Tessa8m) June 16, 2012 at 3:27 am

Hhahaha ahhh that “haiku” is great, and one I am tempted to use every so often! I need to sleep at least 8 hours per night, otherwise I turn into a useless blob that is hungry and cranky… kind of like a baby lol

Khushboo Thadani June 16, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I definitely reached a point of being overly hangry yesterday…I blame it on the lack of zzz!

Brittany June 16, 2012 at 8:44 am

So true, I cherish my sleep and turn into a demon if I don’t get it. I need AT LEAST 6-7 hours and that is pushing the limits of not enough. Anything less than 6 and you better watch out.

Khushboo Thadani June 16, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Hahah I’m with you on that…6 is my bare minimum!

Nada June 16, 2012 at 11:22 am

Agreed – I learned this the hard way too and it was not fun. For me, anything where I wake up with my eyes feeling like sandpaper is insufficient, usually anything sub 5 hours (and even 5 is pushing it!)

Khushboo Thadani June 16, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Gah waking up with bloodshot eyes is the worst…that alone is enough to reason to make me get enough sleep every night!

sonalii1988 June 16, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I love sleep so much! Anything less than 7.5 hours and i can feel it in the morning!

Khushboo Thadani June 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

7.5 hours is my ideal amount too!

Honey,What's Cooking (@honeywhatscook) June 16, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I get 6 to 7 hours of sleep and i consider that little sleep. i’m just such a bum, I need like 8 – 9 hours of sleep, god help me when i have a baby. i feel like i’m walking around drunk when i don’t get enough sleep.
TGIF!!!

Khushboo Thadani June 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Hahah now that’s a sight I’d love to see :) !

Kailey June 17, 2012 at 1:50 am

I totally agree with this – to me its not worth going to gym/working out if you know it won’t improve your mood/you are seriously sleep deprived.

Khushboo Thadani June 17, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Exactly…it just seems like a lose-lose situ!

onehealthymunchkin June 17, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I usually get about 7 hours, so anything less than that is too little. Like lately I’ve only been getting 6 or so, which has definitely taken a toll on me. I’ve been exhausted these past few days!

Also I completely agree that something isn’t always better than nothing. If you’re tired, sore, or just not feeling a workout, then there’s no point in pushing yourself to do it because it is probably going to be a crappy workout! I’d much rather rest up and have an awesome workout the next day. :D

Khushboo Thadani June 18, 2012 at 11:48 am

Couldn’t agree more! I always notice a HUGE improvement in the quality of my workouts after a rest day!

Ameena June 17, 2012 at 8:43 pm

I sleep less and less the older I get…lately it’s been about 6 hours and I actually seem to do okay on it!

Hope you have a great Sunday so far!

Khushboo Thadani June 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

Thanks Ameena- hope your Sunday was a good one too! :)

Errign June 18, 2012 at 2:04 am

If I don’t get 7 hours at an absolute minimum, I want to die.

Khushboo Thadani June 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

You took the words right outta my mouth!!

JoJo June 18, 2012 at 11:30 am

Missed reading your blogs!!
Sleep is so important! It makes me get frustrated, stressed out, cranky, negative, so much faster & easier! I’ve been very cranky since I hadn’t been getting much sleep lately. I wish I could get 8 hours every night, but I usually end up getting 6-7, and take short naps if I have the time during the day..

Khushboo Thadani June 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

Welcome back :) ! I love taking power naps but sometimes it’s hard to stop after 20 minutes!!

Living, Learning, Eating June 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Agreed, sleep is good! I can’t nap, so a solid 7 (I can’t remember the last time I had 8) hours of sleep a night is my goal. 6 has been happening often though, and I consider 6 and under as too little for this girl!

xoxo,
LLE

Khushboo Thadani June 19, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Oh you need to learn how to nap- one of life’s simple pleasures :)

Renee Andrea Reddy June 20, 2012 at 12:20 am

I love the idea of something is not always better than nothing! Too often I feel guilty for not working because I’m tired, listless and sleep deprived and then yes exactly end up doing a half assed workout…which let’s be honest is it really doing anything good for my body except maybe hepling you to build the habit of working out ? I concur, give yourself a break take that down time and get back at it straight away once you’re re-energized and rejuvenated! :)

Khushboo Thadani June 20, 2012 at 11:21 am

I know what you mean about feeling guilty. It’s become such a habit for me that a few days of not doing it just feels wrong!

Gayatri June 26, 2012 at 3:25 am

I don’t think I have ever indulged in “a little sleep” it’s always 8 hours or nothing. Pathetic, I know!

Khushboo Thadani June 26, 2012 at 2:38 pm

More like sensible…sleeping for a few hours feels just as crappy as not sleeping at all!