So let’s talk cheese. As part of my birthday gift, my aunt & cousin gave me an amazing food hamper which included bocconcini mozzarella. With the exception of pizza, I was slightly stumped as to what to do with it. In theory, a caprese salad would be ideal because I love the combination of tomatoes with basil & cheese. However I mentally vetoed it out as I find fresh mozzarella rather bland. Tell me I’m not the only one who thinks mozzarella tastes best melted!
For seasoned chefs, this would hardly be considered a recipe which is why I was hesitant to put it up. However one of the reasons I started a blog was to share recipe ideas and to demonstrate that eating healthily can be both easy and delicious. So on that note, I present to you a Caprese Omelet:
Caprese Omelet (serves 1)
- 1 whole egg & 2 egg whites
- 1 Mozzarella ball (about 1 oz), sliced
- Handful of basil
- 1 ripe tomato, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Mix the tomato with the balsamic vinegar & crushed black pepper and set aside
- Whisk the eggs together with the basil, salt & black pepper
- In a heated skillet, pour the egg mixture. Let it sit until the top of the omelet is still wet but set
- Add the mozzarella slices and fold. Reduce the heat and let the egg cook until the cheese has melted.
- Plate the omelet and top with the tomato mixture (or eat alongside).
Any recipe suggestions which call for mozzarella?