Caprese Omelet

by Khushboo on June 9, 2012

So let’s talk cheese.  As part of my birthday gift, my aunt & cousin gave me an amazing food hamper which included bocconcini mozzarella.  With the exception of pizza, I was slightly stumped as to what to do with it.  In theory, a caprese salad would be ideal because I love the combination of tomatoes with basil & cheese.  However I mentally vetoed it out as I find fresh mozzarella rather bland.  Tell me I’m not the only one who thinks mozzarella tastes best melted!

For seasoned chefs, this would hardly be considered a recipe which is why I was hesitant to put it up.  However one of the reasons I started a blog was to share recipe ideas and to demonstrate that eating healthily can be both easy and delicious.  So on that note, I present to you a Caprese Omelet:

Caprese Omelet (serves 1)

Ingredients

• 1 whole egg & 2 egg whites
  • 1 Mozzarella ball (about 1 oz), sliced
  • Handful of basil
  • 1 ripe tomato, chopped
  • 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • Salt & black pepper to taste

Method

1. Mix the tomato with the balsamic vinegar & crushed black pepper and set aside
  2. Whisk the eggs together with the basil, salt & black pepper
  3. In a heated skillet, pour the egg mixture.  Let it sit until the top of the omelet is still wet but set
  4. Add the mozzarella slices and fold.  Reduce the heat and let the egg cook until the cheese has melted.
  5. Plate the omelet and top with the tomato mixture (or eat alongside).

Any recipe suggestions which call for mozzarella?

Karina June 9, 2012 at 7:00 pm

This looks like a delicious meal and love how simple it is to make. Will be making this for brunch tomorrow but going to have to sub out the mozzarella for cheese I have at home. I agree – mozzarella on its own is rather bland and i’m not a fan of eating it in a salad.

Khushboo Thadani June 10, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Hope you enjoyed it for brunch :) !

Alex @ therunwithin June 9, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I love eggs so you got me there. Looks like a great recipe, I actually like mozzarella but I am a huge fan of the really powerful cheeses like provolone and swiss. I hate plain cheddar or american.

Khushboo Thadani June 10, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I love strong cheeses too, especially chevre…I could eat it by the spoonful!

sonalii1988 June 9, 2012 at 7:07 pm

This omelet looks too good! I love melted mozzarella on pizza! I guess it’s quite basic but you can never go wrong with pizza. :)

Khushboo Thadani June 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm

True story…pizza is always a good idea :)

Alexandra June 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Dang does that sound good! I’m not a big fan of cheese, but when it’s in an omelette it tastes so good for some reason! :D

Khushboo Thadani June 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm

So true- actually melted cheese in any form always tastes so good ;) !

Palan June 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm

This sounds divine!
I now know what’s for brunch tomorrow(!)
Try mozzarella baked with aubergine & tomatoes – add some herbs & its divine served with a dash of balsamic vinegar (I sometimes add parma ham too – yum!).

Khushboo Thadani June 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm

That recipe sounds GREAT…will definitely be trying it out! I bet some chicken would be a great addition. Thanks :)

onehealthymunchkin June 10, 2012 at 5:37 am

Mmm I love caprese salads so I know I would love this!

I don’t have any particular recipes in mind, but I bet mozzarella would taste good stuffed in chicken!

Khushboo Thadani June 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I’m made chicken stuffed with cream cheese before and it was a hit so I have no doubt that mozzarella would be a hit too!

Ishwar Lalchand June 10, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Will this omelette make u loose weight? If u eat it once a week will u put on weight or b bad for the heart. Will one hour of non stop slow walk burn off the calories of the omelette. On getting ur info I will decide to eat it or not. Looks delious n I am sure will taste great

Khushboo Thadani June 10, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Hi Uncle Ishwar- no food can singlehandedly make you lose weight but this can be eaten as part of a calorie-controlled diet. An hour of walking should burn off a majority of this omelet :)

Tessa Merrick (@Tessa8m) June 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Mmmm looks like a winnaaaa to me Khushboo! I really enjoy caprese salads so this takes it to a whole different (and delicious) level! I am really here nor there with cheese, I enjoy it on certain items, but don’t feel that I need it either. I am so boring, all I think of is pizza and mozzarella sticks when I think of that kind of cheese haha. Or grated on Mexican-style dishes, yum

Khushboo Thadani June 10, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Not boring at all!…Mexican & Italian are the main cuisines which call for cheese! I know you love your salads so try adding some feta or chevre- really takes it up a notch :)

Sarah June 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Yum! Looks fantastic. I always use mozarella on pizzas or on top of lasagna or moussaka, but not really any other time! I really should look for some more recipes too…

Khushboo Thadani June 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Moussaka sounds good- I don’t think I have actually ever made/eaten that dish!

Honey What's Cooking June 14, 2012 at 1:23 am

oooh, that caprese omelet looks delicious… recipe that calls for mozarella. .. pizza, pasta, eggplant parm.. what esle? lasagna… how about just a plain ol’ sandwich.

Khushboo Thadani June 14, 2012 at 11:49 am

I think I’m going to have to go with a toastie sandwich next time…with some avocado to take it to the next level :) !