Just my cup of tea

by Khushboo on May 23, 2012

Want to hear read something ironic?  I lived in England for 8 years yet went for my first “high tea” in Mumbai.  I’m kicking myself now, but I guess after walking by places like the Ritz and Fortnum & Mason on a daily basis, the novelty kinda wore off.  Call me low-maintenance but I was perfectly content dunking McVitie’s Rich Tea biscuits in my homemade cup of Tetley English Breakfast.

Well between being homesick for London, intrigued by the High Tea offering at The Table (a.k.a. one of my favorite restaurants here), and just wanting to do something out of the ordinary, I finally saw what it’s all about on Saturday.

The Table

For tea, The Table serves exactly what you’d imagine: cute finger sandwiches, light pastries, and scones with clotted cream & jam.  Actually I lie, they serve more.  In addition to tea, coffee & hot chocolate as beverages, champagne was also an option (#ballin’ ;) ).  The menu was extensive, yet not overwhelming, and we could choose a few from each category:

Tea Pastries

• Chocolate Profiterole with Vanilla Cream
  • Almond Financier
  • Fruit Tartlet

Warm Scones

• With Strawberry Jam, Lemon Curd & Cream

Finger Sandwiches

• Cucumber Sandwich with Cream Cheese on White Bread
  • Kalamata Olive Sandwich on Wheat Bread
  • Truffled Egg Salad Sandwich on White Bread
  • Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese Sandwich on Wheat Bread
  • Smoked Salmon with Dill Cream on Wheat Bread
  • Serrano Ham & Basil Pesto on White Bread

I’d be lying if I said that a part of me didn’t feel like a character in Downton Abbey as I sipped from my teacup….too bad Lord Grantham was nowhere to be seen ;) .  We made sure we went hungry and fortunately everything tasted even better than they sound.  My favorites were the Almond Financier & Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese sandwich.  Poor service can really make or break a meal, but luckily our waiter was more than attentive and was happy to make changes: i.e. less pastries in favor of more scones.

I love my Chai Tea Lattes & Iced Americanos from Starbucks but in terms of sophistication and a civilized outing, High Tea cannot be beat.  For those of you in Mumbai or who ever plan to visit, I would definitely recommend trying out High Tea at The Table.  If their lunch & dinner offerings weren’t enough to go by, this just confirms that they knows what they’re talking about when it comes to food.

Ever gone for High Tea?

sprint2thetable May 23, 2012 at 6:54 pm

How fun! I’ve never gone to tea before, but I am a total sucker for mini sandwiches. :)

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 11:49 am

Everything tastes better in miniature form :) !

forgottenbeast May 23, 2012 at 7:06 pm

I love tea, but nope, I’ve never done a high tea. But tea and fresh, warm scones? Ohh, that sounds amazing!

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 11:49 am

Tea and any baked good is pretty much amazing, right!

Alexandra May 23, 2012 at 7:54 pm

What a blast! Mmm and tea and scones sounds amazing :)

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

It truly was!

onehealthymunchkin May 23, 2012 at 8:32 pm

I’ve never been to High Tea, but I’ve been really wanting to ever since seeing one on an episode of “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” on the Food Network. :D I would be all over those smoked salmon sandwiches! ;)

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

Ohh that show sounds great- I’d love to see what the contestants ‘best meals’ were!

Krystal@Ms. Random May 23, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I’ve never been to high tea, I am dying to go but my mama keeps putting it off. I wanted to take her for mother’s day. Those little sandwiches look so good, yumm yumm. These restaurant looks so swanky, baller!! I hope you had the champagne missy :)

XX

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 11:51 am

Haha no champagne for me- I knew my night involved alcohol :) ! Hope you get to go soon!!

Parita May 23, 2012 at 9:37 pm

I’ve never been to High Tea – in India or elsewhere! Looks like the perfect thing to do with girlfriends on a Saturday afternoon – classy! Those sandwiches sound amazing – I may have to create my own version of the goat cheese one. Yum.

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 11:51 am

You have to try that goat cheese combo- it was phenomenal…too bad the sandwiches were in miniature form ;) !

Meg May 23, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I used to live in Victoria, BC (Canada) and I went to high tea at the Butchart Gardens and it was so much fun! I’m a huge chai tea fan, but I also love a good cup of peppermint.

p.s. I just came across your blog, Mumbai what an interesting place to live! :)

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 11:56 am

Hi Meg, welcome :) ! You should definitely check out Mumbai one day, especially if you’re a chai fan :)

Honey What's Cooking May 23, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I couldn’t love this post anymore.. I LOVE HIGH TEA! Surprisingly, only been once because I’m so content with my Twinnings English Breakfast Tea.. you drank American Tetley while in the UK, I drink English tea while in the USA. HAHA.
Girl, if I ever come to Mumbai, I will at some point, I’ll check out the Table. Looks fab.
I’ve been to Alice’s Tea Cup here in NYC and it was amazing.. but Ameena has pointed out a couple times that High Tea at the Peninsula hotel is amazing.
Another place is Tea and Sympathy here in the West village.. u would love it, cuz I think they only hire Brits so they speak with their “hot” accident. When you visit, we’ll go to one of these places. :-) LET ME KNOW!

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Haha I’m hooked on Twinings now although the Tetley I used to drink was UK-made :) ! Alice’s Tea Cup sounds great- even Munisha above commented about it! If I”m ever in NY, I’ll be sure to let you know- you clearly know the right places to go!

Honey What's Cooking May 23, 2012 at 10:33 pm

*ACCENT.. not accident. :-)

munisha287 May 23, 2012 at 11:37 pm

There is this place in NYC called Alice’s Tea Cup, that is somewhat of a fantasy alcove that serves the yummiest “High Tea” I have ever tried. Scones and finger sandwiches to die for! Its a must-do in NYC for me!

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Haha as you’re not the first person to comment about Alice’s Tea Cup, I definitely have to add it to my list of ‘places to try’ in New York…Peanut Butter & Co. is also on the list! :)

ko0ty May 23, 2012 at 11:48 pm

High tea is delicious and fun but not something I would do often. I think it’s a little overrated. It IS great for a get together and catch up with girlfriends once in a while though. ;)

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I agree about it not being something to do often- it would definitely lose its charm for me if it was a regular occurrence!

Nada May 24, 2012 at 3:18 am

The closest I’ve come to high tea is a visit to the Tea Room at The Savoy (for a meeting, no less) but it was incredible! Best chai tea I’ve ever had and they even made me a vegan finger sandwich with hummus and sun dried tomatoes – definitely couldn’t complain ;)

Funnily enough my friend recently showed me this high fashion inspired high tea: http://www.the-berkeley.co.uk/fashionista_tea.aspx and suggested we go. As cool as it sounds, I think I’d rather spend the money at Saf!

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm

That’s awesome that they made a vegan option, and the combo sounds great! Hummus for the win, right :) ! Just had a look at the link for the high tea at The Berkeley and it sounds such a cute concept!

Purvi Verma Saini (@PurviVermaSaini) May 24, 2012 at 10:20 am

Even I have not been to a high tea yet…hmn guess I will put it on my to do list :)

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Definitely worth adding to your bucket list!

sonalii1988 May 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Khushboo I love your blog! For my sister-in-laws baby shower we had a “high tea” partyy! It was delicious, and nothing says cute like teeny sandwiches :)

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Thanks Sonal, so glad you enjoy my blog :) ! That sounds like such a great idea for a baby shower…will keep it in mind for when my sister’s time comes around!!

ritika May 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm

the sandwiches sound lovely, any place in delhi you know that serves a good high tea? and a cray tea fact, we bongs eat [oops] drink our tea with jhaal mori [spicy puffed rice]. but now i am craving those sandwiches…

Khushboo Thadani May 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Cool fact! I’ve never been to Delhi so I am the worst person to ask about restaurant recommendations there ha!

Tessa Merrick (@Tessa8m) May 24, 2012 at 6:50 pm

High tea is something I want to do someday! I know there is a place in Boston that has it on some afternoons during the month… maybe sometime this summer that will happen :) Those sandwiches, the tea and the environment of course just sound so lovely!

Khushboo Thadani May 25, 2012 at 11:14 am

The environment makes such a difference! Hope you go soon- it’s a great way to spend the afternoon :) !

Christina Does It All May 25, 2012 at 1:23 am

love this blog! and warm scones….mouth is watering!

Khushboo Thadani May 25, 2012 at 11:14 am

I couldn’t agree mroe :) !

Meg May 25, 2012 at 2:49 am

SO COOL! I would love this!

Khushboo Thadani May 25, 2012 at 11:14 am

I bet you would!

Lucie Elizabeth May 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Ive never done high tea – sounds so much fun!

Khushboo Thadani May 26, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I loved it!

Kat May 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

oh my goodness this place sounds INCREDIBLE!! I would love some lemon curd….

Khushboo Thadani May 26, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I love lemon curd- my best friend has a dessert bar with fro yo and one of the toppings is lemon curd…so delish!