Quirk it out!

by Khushboo on February 29, 2012

Some bizarre stories have been popping up online over the last few weeks:

Story 1:

Seventeen-year-old Stacey Irvine has been following a chicken nugget diet for the last 15 years.  Since her mom brought them home from McDonald’s when she was two, she has been hooked, and has eating nothing but nuggets since.  Unsurprisingly, Stacey now suffers breathing problems, anemia and was recently rushed to the hospital after she collapsed with swollen veins in her tongue.

Stacey with her collection of Happy Meal toys that she's accumulated over the years

Story 2:

Claire Simmons of Notting Hill, 33, gags if she puts anything but a plain pizza slice in her mouth (only cheese and tomato sauce).  She also shakes when she is presented with any other type of food.  Although Simmons retorts that she keeps herself healthy with exercise and by drinking plenty of water, her lack of vitamins and minerals is lining her up for many problems in the future.   Like Stacey Irvine, Claire’s condition is referred to as Selective Eating Disorder.

Although my eating habits are nowhere near along any of those extremes, it got me thinking of some of the ‘weird’ food quirks I have.   The below are some of foodie preferences; although not ideal, I’m sure I can divert from them if need be:

• The idea of eating tinned non-vegetarian foods is less than appealing to me.  Canned salmon and the bones which you’re filled with, I’m talking to you!
  • I prefer eating refrigerated/frozen chocolate- I can’t stand when chocolate starts to go melty and linger on my fingers.
  • Speaking of chocolate, I rarely go for chocolate-based ice cream or dessert- it’s a bit too intense.  Bring on the vanilla!

Happiness on a plate

• I tend to eat sandwiches with a fork & knife- classy much?
  • When I eat chocolate like Kit Kat, Ferrero Rocher or Reeses, I eat the surrounding chocolate layer first.
  • I think bananas taste better the blacker and spottier they are…and no, that’s not what anybody said ;)

Oh the beauty...

• I gag at even the mere smell of cilantro- definitely not ideal for an Indian.
  • If I’m eating foods involving tomato sauce (pasta/pizza), Tabasco is a necessity!
  • I’m not sure why but the idea of eating mayonnaise disgusts me…on a salad, in a sandwich- not going to happen!

I know you have some of your own food quirks too…share please :)

Kat February 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Ive heard the mc donalds story before, and it honestly gross me out. Ugh….
And I ALWAYS eat the outside of a reeses first. You’ve got to save the best for last! :)

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:09 am

The best is when you’re left with a peanut butter mound!

Parita @ myinnershakti February 29, 2012 at 7:54 pm

YES! Chocolate must be refrigerated or else it just doesn’t taste as good. And cilantro is a big no no for me too! My dad gets so annoyed when I’m home because my mom won’t let him dump tons of it on our food since I don’t like it!

Also, I can’t eat mushy tomatoes. The mushiness grosses me out!

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

Haha I actually love the mushiness of tomatoes- when my mom makes a salad/sandwich for me, she cuts that part away but I enjoy it!

Alexandra February 29, 2012 at 8:33 pm

That nuggets girl is psycho!! Who eats that many nuggets?!?! Hahaha
Some of my food quirks– I like green bananas, chicken dipped in peanut butter is one of my favorite snacks, and I’m mortified by beets, they’re so nasty to me haha

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

Haha never pee after eating beets…you’ll be even more mortified!

Ali Mc February 29, 2012 at 8:45 pm

WHAT?1?!?!?? too much of anything is bad, especially those tasty golden ill chickens

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:11 am

I can’t even imagine eating for than 6-8 in one sitting, let alone for all my meals!

Jenna@HealthyTrends February 29, 2012 at 9:20 pm

My best friend suffers from selective eating disorder, in fact the only meat she eats is McNuggets (thankfully she does each a few other foods to help balance her diet). But I find it to be the weirdest thing that at ager 24, she gets scared when food she’s not familiar with is put in front of her. But we all have weird eating habits! I love eating cheese and chocolate together and drink a gallon of milk a day (no lie).

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:11 am

What is it about foods starting with “ch” that just taste so good!

Tessa at Amazing Asset February 29, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I am glad we both talk about Reeses in our posts today :)
And wowwww quite a story, and yeah, think she is pretty nuts lol

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

Even when I used to be obsessed with nuggets and pizza while growing up, I don’t think I could have solely eaten those foods!

Amlan Dutta (@orphean_warbler) February 29, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Good Article on the Selective Eating Disorder, everyone has their own quirky eating habits. I like the chocalate and the butter scotch the best & though I use fork and spoon for almost everything , I use my fingers for Tandoori Chicken and Sandwiches..

I guess you dont like mayonnaise for the same reason that you have sandwiches with cutlery, perhaps because you dont like its gooeyness, maybe you are reminded of the egg in it. I love mayonnaise though, salads & sandwiches come to life with it.

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:12 am

I think it’s more about the gooeyness- I am the last person to shy away from eggs!

Brittany February 29, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Mayo is disgusting to me..the idea of it skeeves me out. I have to eat my cake and sweets cold. I put my candy in the freezer, and my cake in the fridge to cool up before I consume. Then I follow the sweets with a glass of water..never milk. Water is so much more refreshing!

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:13 am

Yes on all counts! Some people prefer cake right out of the over..I prefer it right out of the fridge! And I always have my dessert with water/green tea! In theory, washing it down with milk is nice but in reality, it’s too filling!

forgottenbeast March 1, 2012 at 12:04 am

I refuse to eat any bananas that are less than black and spotty! How can anyone eat green bananas?? They taste/smell/feel terrible to me. I also like to eat my salads with my fingers. I enjoy lettuce more if I don’t have to use a fork.

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:14 am

Green bananas are awful- they’re so hard and tasteless! As for eating salads with your fingers, I’m betting you were Indian in your last life :)

forgottenbeast March 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Indian or Ethiopian for sure–if I can avoid silverware, I will!

jojo March 1, 2012 at 2:29 am

I’m not too fond of chocolate ice cream either.. love vanilla! Definitely could go for chocolate chip vanilla though.. :) DIdn’t know you didn’t like cilantro, you are missing out ;)

As for the stories… As a parent, it appalls me that some parents out there let that kind of thing happen to their own children!

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’d like to say I wouldn’t but who knows what my future kids’ taste buds are going to be like!

sarah (onedayiwillseethesun) March 1, 2012 at 4:04 am

ew to bananas I like them the greener the better. one of my weird quirks is addingg marmite to everything even salads!!

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 11:16 am

I’m not sure whether I’m a fan of marmite although I love twiglets!

Alyse March 1, 2012 at 11:50 am

Woah, chicken nugget girl. Where are your parents?!!

I don’t like cooked fruit. So mushy and over-sweetened! I’ll take your cilantro if you take bananas. Just the smell makes me nauseous!

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Whhaaat – no apple pie then? I actually batch cook apples and store it in the fridge because I love the mushiness!

Sonali Ramani March 1, 2012 at 6:44 pm

When I eat cookie dough ice cream, I eat all the dough and leave the vanilla for my sisters. They don’t like me much because of it.

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 10:19 pm

You’re my BFF, my sister but we’re never sharing ice cream….ever

sprint2thetable March 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm

I love hearing about others’ “weird” food preferences. I eat my Reese’s the same way! :)

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Reeses just need to sell the cups sans chocolate- money maker right there!

Ameena March 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Every time I hear about nugget girl I hide our frozen nuggets a bit deeper into the freezer. So disgusting!

And sorry…I can’t do bananas. At all. Unless they are in bread form.

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Don’t worry about the frozen nuggets- I still think fondly about McDonalds nuggets!

honeywhatscooking March 1, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Oh my… Khushboo!!! We are like opposites! I loveeee cilantro like there is no tomorrow. Mayo i don’t mind on a sandwich from Subway, but that’s all the mayo I eat. I loveeeee unripe bananas, eheww if they are dark, I can’t even go near them, so I use them in baking.
I completely agree with you on canned meat, i hate it too, tuna and all of that stuff. i also have issues eating frozen chicken, so if i want nuggets, i just buy fresh nuggets.
the 2 things that make me gag are “Gajak” and “Reveri” – the sweets from India. My mom used to make me eat them when I was younger, and they taste makes me gag. I also hate “shalgam” so much! Other than that, I can eat anything vegetarian.

Khushboo Thadani March 1, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I’ve never heard of ‘gajak’ or ‘reveri’ but given my general dislike towards Indian sweets, I don’t have much hope for them!

The Healthy Engineer March 2, 2012 at 1:07 am

I’m right there with you on the mayo thing…but I have to disagree about the chocolate ice cream thing!

Chocolate just goes well with everything and for some reason I could never have just plain old vanilla.

Umm I think I would gag at the thought of eating pizza and nuggets everyday….just the greasiness of it bothers me haha.

Khushboo Thadani March 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

Chocolate on vanilla ice cream= synergy!

kilax March 2, 2012 at 2:15 am

I think this is the first time I have commented, but I had to say that I prefer bananas that way too and everyone thinks I am crazy!

Khushboo Thadani March 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

They’re the crazy ones!

When Harry Met Celery March 2, 2012 at 10:54 am

I can’t stand drippy icecream too! And sandwiches with a knife and fork?! Ha ha. Too classy!!

Sig March 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I read the Maccas story a while back and was surprised but not surprised. Seriously? The parents should have made that phase over long ago.

My food quirks? I’m with you on the cold chocolate – I love it that way, Evs hates it lol.

My sister eats pizza with a knife and fork – yep, she’s kinda posh.

Khushboo Thadani March 4, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Seriously before she had time to get ‘addicted’

ritika March 5, 2012 at 8:29 pm

i like to eat sweets with namkeen..fav – motichoor laddu with bhujia
and i like my jalebis chilled :D