Some bizarre stories have been popping up online over the last few weeks:
Seventeen-year-old Stacey Irvine has been following a chicken nugget diet for the last 15 years. Since her mom brought them home from McDonald’s when she was two, she has been hooked, and has eating nothing but nuggets since. Unsurprisingly, Stacey now suffers breathing problems, anemia and was recently rushed to the hospital after she collapsed with swollen veins in her tongue.
Claire Simmons of Notting Hill, 33, gags if she puts anything but a plain pizza slice in her mouth (only cheese and tomato sauce). She also shakes when she is presented with any other type of food. Although Simmons retorts that she keeps herself healthy with exercise and by drinking plenty of water, her lack of vitamins and minerals is lining her up for many problems in the future. Like Stacey Irvine, Claire’s condition is referred to as Selective Eating Disorder.
Although my eating habits are nowhere near along any of those extremes, it got me thinking of some of the ‘weird’ food quirks I have. The below are some of foodie preferences; although not ideal, I’m sure I can divert from them if need be:
- The idea of eating tinned non-vegetarian foods is less than appealing to me. Canned salmon and the bones which you’re filled with, I’m talking to you!
- I prefer eating refrigerated/frozen chocolate- I can’t stand when chocolate starts to go melty and linger on my fingers.
- Speaking of chocolate, I rarely go for chocolate-based ice cream or dessert- it’s a bit too intense. Bring on the vanilla!
- I tend to eat sandwiches with a fork & knife- classy much?
- When I eat chocolate like Kit Kat, Ferrero Rocher or Reeses, I eat the surrounding chocolate layer first.
- I think bananas taste better the blacker and spottier they are…and no, that’s not what anybody said
- I gag at even the mere smell of cilantro- definitely not ideal for an Indian.
- If I’m eating foods involving tomato sauce (pasta/pizza), Tabasco is a necessity!
- I’m not sure why but the idea of eating mayonnaise disgusts me…on a salad, in a sandwich- not going to happen!
I know you have some of your own food quirks too…share please