Body For Life: 25% down

by Khushboo on February 13, 2012

As today marked the 1st day of week 4 on Body for Life for me, I am 25% done with the program.  I though now would be a good time to provide more insight about it and how I am getting on with the program.

Oh the irony!

Oh the irony!

In a nutshell, I absolutely love it.  It has completely changed my approach towards working out.  Initially I had said that I am not going to be following the BFL eating plan.  While I haven’t strictly been sticking to it, I have increased my protein intake and am trying to eat smaller meals more regularly throughout the day (5-6 mini meals).  However if I am out for a meal which is carb-heavy, want a drink, or am tempted to indulge in dessert, I have no problem doing so…even if any of those don’t fall on the “free day”.  So long as it does not dictate my life, I will continue to commit to the eating portion of BFL.  As for the workouts, here you go:

Pros:

• Consistency: With my workouts pre-planned, my propensity to skip a session is close to zero.  Even though I was tempted to on 3 of the days, I didn’t give in.
  • Short sessions: I no longer have the “I don’t have time” excuse at my disposal.  The longest session is the upper body workout, and that too is only 46 minutes.  I’m not an investment banker, I don’t have kids, and hence I can always find time to fit it in.
  • Noticeable changes: My tummy area has always been the hardest place for me to lose weight but I am already 1 inch down on my waist and 1.5 inches down on my upper waist.
  • Challenge:  BFL has certainly taken me out of comfort zones in various ways: I’m lifting heavier and running at speeds faster than I ever have.

• Efficiency: It baffles me how I voluntarily used to spend 40+ minutes on cardio machines.  With the 20-minute HIIT sessions, my workout is done before I know it, and yet I always feel like I’ve had a killer workout.
  • Variety: There is quite an extensive list of exercises for each muscle group so I have been mixing it up to prevent my body from adapting.  It has also encouraged me to try new machines/weight exercises that I wouldn’t have otherwise.

Cons:

• Number of workout sessions: As I have always taken 2 rest days a week from exercise, that sixth day can sometimes be a mental struggle…especially on a Saturday morning after a night out and a few drinks.  That being said, if I do feel like my body needs a break, I will definitely take an extra day off.
  • Little focus on ab work: As the plan only incorporates 2 ab exercises on lower body days, I try to round up by cardio workouts with a bit of ab work.

Bring on week 4…!

Parita @ myinnershakti February 13, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Yay! Great progress – that’s really exciting! Even though I’m not doing anything even close to BFL right now, I have been changing things up pretty regularly and the changes I’ve seen just from that are awesome. It’s so true that the body is an efficiency machine – as soon as it gets the hang of something it stops workings as hard. Great post! Please keep the updates coming!

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Thanks, Parita! I think introducing any kind of change to your diet/workout is bound to shake things up and produce favorable results…otherwise our bodies will outclever us :) !

Sara K February 13, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Woohoo 25 down, 75 to go! And just imagine how much more progress you’ll see in the remaining 3/4 if that’s how much you’ve already made. Gooooo Khusboo :) (on a sidenote I really wish the same emoticons BBM have could be made on blog comments)

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm

“I really wish the same emoticons BBM have made could be made on blog comments”–> story of my life! Instead of the wordpress embarrassed face, the BBM hand over eye would be so much more useful! Haha I’m an emoticon addict!

Brittany February 13, 2012 at 8:46 pm

You are a sexy beast!! Awesome job!! I love that you follow the diet plan, but don’t limit yourself..I think that is key to finding something you can stick with.

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Definitely- In the past I think I was a bit too strict to the point that eating out would sometimes stress me out..live and learn! Eating well is just one part of my life, not my full life!

Alexandra February 13, 2012 at 8:47 pm

WOOO! Keep up the awesome work girl, you’re already making such great progress!

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Thanks Alexandra!

honeywhatscooking February 13, 2012 at 10:24 pm

i give you so much credit doing this. You are 25% done.. that’s awesome. I love your investment banker and no kids comment, I am neither, and I still find an excuse. SO BAD! Enjoy Valentine’s day dinner with the ladies, I miss those days. :-)

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Thanks, I sure did! HOpe you had a great night too!

Tessa at Amazing Assett February 14, 2012 at 2:38 am

Great job so far with the program and your progress is awesome! It’s good to hear you are enjoying it and also staying committed! When you are 100% done, you will be a whole new, ass-kicking woman :D

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm

That’s the plan :D ! Thanks for your comment!

Sig February 14, 2012 at 3:58 am

That’s so so good!! You’re inspiring me to get my butt in gear and actually start up the program too!

You’re right – no excuses!!!

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

I need to shoot you an email about some BFL questions and pick your brains about the ‘wisdom’ you acquired when you did it before!

Christina Does It All February 14, 2012 at 5:29 am

Yay! Yo go girl! :)

Christina Does It All February 14, 2012 at 5:29 am

And by yo I mean you.

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Thanks :D

Amanda @RunToTheFinish February 14, 2012 at 6:14 am

i always love seeing how people feel about different programs. I’ve never been able to follow on specifically but know it would help with my eating

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

I think it works both ways- when you eat right, you’re performance during exercise automatically increases and when you workout, you’re motivated to eat well to avoid all your hard work go down the drain!

Meg (A Dash of Meg) February 14, 2012 at 7:41 am

I cut down on my ab work and my abs are better ;) so have faith ;) its all about the clean eats ;)

i love the fact that you love this though :D what a great feeling :D again, SO proud of you :D

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Word on the street is that abs are made in the kitchen..glad you can vouch for that!

Meg (A Dash of Meg) February 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I definitely can :D

jojo February 14, 2012 at 10:45 am

That’s great you are keeping it up!!
Your posts motivate me to keep up my work out routine.
I’ve been on and off (grrr..) but I’m going to go do some ab work out right now after I comment here!!

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Hope you got that ab work in :)

Courtney February 14, 2012 at 4:18 pm

It sounds like you’re doing great, Khushboo! I’ve been toying with the idea of trying this program out once I get back from Mexico. Do you think it’d be something I’d like? Haha, we’ll see how it goes… :)

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:34 pm

As you are already into weight training, i definitely think you will love the program…especially in terms of how efficient each workout is!

Nada (One Arab Vegan) February 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I’m totally with you on shorter sessions and efficiency. When I first discovered HIIT workouts I was like “and I used to spend HOURS on end at the gym?!” Sounds like the program’s really suited you so far – excited to hear about the rest of your progress!

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

For me it was definitely a mental thing–> regardless of my effort (even if it was very low-intensity), 45 minutes+ sessions trumped 20 minute workouts…yeah definitely not!

AikoVenus February 14, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Congrats on the progress! ^^ I know how you feel – but at the same time you feel so accomplished!

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks!

Alyse February 15, 2012 at 7:22 am

Wow! Congrats on your accomplishments! It sounds like it really has changed your whole approach – and how cool to be seeing results and feeling so good :)

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Thanks- I always used to think cardio was the be all end all but I am seeing results so much quicker by just upping my weight training!

Jen February 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oh wow!! Thanks for the inspiring post babe!! It is something I really needed now :)

Khushboo Thadani February 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm