My new workout schedule

by Khushboo on January 18, 2012

As of this week, I had great plans to start my 10 km training. I don’t have any race coming up but I wanted to use the structure of the plan as a way to work on improving my pace.  Well ever heard the expression: “If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans?”  Clearly that seems to be the case with me.

It’s been over a month since I’ve run properly due to my leg injury and while I still am not 100% sure what the injury is, I do know that running is not the answer.  I’ve run a couple of times in between and as much as I wanted to pretend that it felt great, they were painful runs.  My leg only felt more aggravated afterward- not so fun, especially once the endorphins wear off!

Anyone who runs will agree that the worst time to get injured is when your momentum is at its peak.  I was so in the zone and I was running the fastest that I ever have.  Initially not being able to run really upset me:

• I missed the freedom to just bang out a few miles whenever, wherever
  • I was scared of losing fitness
  • I craved the thrill of those runs which seemed effortless
  • I lost almost all motivation to work out

Rather than continue to feel frustrated at the situation, I’ve decided to use this opportunity to whip out the tequila and salt make lemonade.  My workouts have always been more cardio-focused but as of now, I’m going to branch out of my comfort zone and focus more on weight training while reducing my cardio.  In terms of weight training, I’m going to see what kind of schedule/split works for me as time goes on.  For now, here’s my plan of action:

• Day 1: 40/50 minutes Cardio & Abs
  • Day 2: Lower Body Weights
  • Day 3: Upper Body Weights
  • Day 4: 40/50 minutes Cardio & Abs
  • Day 5: Full Body Weights

I’m looking forward to a new challenge.  I’m looking forward to a fitter and more toned body.  I am looking forward to developing enough arm strength to bust out at least 10 regular press ups in one shot.  And of course, I am looking forward to getting back into my running trainers eventually once my leg has healed!

Alexandra January 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Sounds like a wicked awesome plan to me! I can’t wait to hear how you progress! :)

Parita @ myinnershakti January 18, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I love how you’re not letting this injury get the best of you. Instead you’re using the opportunity to challenge your body in different ways. So inspiring – and THIS is why I love your blog. I can’t wait to read about your progress with this plan!

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:17 am

Thanks so much, your comments always mean a lot :)

Errign January 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

great new plan!

Katelyn January 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Congratulations on having such a great attitude! Let us know how the work outs go :)

Purvi Verma Saini (@PurviVermaSaini) January 18, 2012 at 8:23 pm

All the best for the schedule :) :)

thisfitchick January 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm

that sounds like such a solid schedule! similar to mine actually :) LOVE hitting the weights!

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:18 am

I’d love to see some posts of some of your weights workouts- will check your blog out :)

sassywifechronicles January 18, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Sounds like a great plan!! Before you know it you will be busting out the press ups:)

Sarah January 19, 2012 at 12:14 am

That looks like a great idea! Hope it goes well for you!

honeywhatscooking January 19, 2012 at 1:18 am

awesome. I’d much rather lift, than run anyway. :-) It’s nice that you are finding ways to do other things. So great. I love lifting.. it shapes my body like nothing else.

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 12:41 pm

I am already feeling the difference..maybe it’s psychological but whatever it is, I like it :D

Priyanka January 19, 2012 at 1:47 am

The irony of the whole situation is that when you momentum is at its peak and you are in the zone, pushing becomes very easy and inevitably injuries happen. I cannot get over my injuries before pregnancy..I was preparing so well for a 10K race. No worries, I can resume after the baby..right?!

Do you have any plans to run the Mumbai marathon in the future??I have my eyes set on the half next year but I’m clueless about the organization and workings of it. Do you know about it?

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

Exactly- baby comes first for sure! I was actually wanting to run the Mumbai half marathon this year but it was too late when I tried to register- but I guess that worked out well as it would have been so hard to forfeit my bib! I hope to run the half next year too so who knows, we could be running together :) ! Although registration is still a while away, I’ll let you know when I hear more about it!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 19, 2012 at 4:06 am

Strength training has been a savior for me during the time I have taken off running! It does take a bit more planning, but I am really enjoying it and I think you will too
Great looking plan!

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:23 am

Yes the planning is so worth it- what’s keeping me motivated is going in with a pre-planned workout!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com January 19, 2012 at 5:00 am

I am sure you would prove as a winner all the way!! Good luck and can’t wait to read your plan in progress :)

Get well soon, sweetie :)

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:24 am

Thanks :) !

Tracy's Treats January 19, 2012 at 5:26 am

I think that sounds like a really good plan! It will do your leg good to rest it a bit…and at the same time you can work on strengthening other parts of your body!

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:25 am

I already feel like this break is doing my leg well- the need to apply anti-inflammatory cream every day is no more (thank goodness)!

Tara January 19, 2012 at 7:03 am

I’ve been missing running so much, but cross training always makes me remember why I loved it so much in the first place. Your plan looks really good! Right now I’m doing a lot of swimming – hoping to do a triathlon sometime!!

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:26 am

A triathalon is a great goal to have in the future! I can’t wait till the weather warms up again so I can start swimming!

jojo January 19, 2012 at 7:24 am

That’s great!
Something very similar happened to me when I had my wrist injury and no longer could play beach volleyball (which was my main workout, and loved it!!). I lost motivation to workout all together and was just unhappy about it. But you have to work what you have right?? That’s great that modified your routine and stayed strong! Way to go :D

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:26 am

Exactly- make the best of what you got…only way to do it!

Christina Does It All January 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

great schedule! you go girl!

Meg (A Dash of Meg) January 19, 2012 at 8:38 am

loving your approach girl :D i cant wait to hear more

onehealthymunchkin January 19, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I’m so sorry about your injury girl, but that’s awesome that you’re using it as an opportunity to try something new. I’ve really fallen in love with strength training lately, so I can’t wait to hear about how you like it! :)

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:29 am

Thanks! I’m actually shocked at how much I’m loving it too- I really feel worked out during and after!

Shannon from Healthiful Balance January 19, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Looks like you’ve got a super awesome plan!

Gayatri January 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm

That is an awesome plan. I love your blog Khusbhoo because each time I come here, I learn something new. It’s helping me immensely in my quest to get fit. And that is why, I keep updating you on my progress on Twitter :)

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:30 am

Thanks and keep up with the good work- you’re making such quick progress…hope your knee is feeling better :) !

When Harry Met Celery January 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Hey! I’ve been busy off late and haven’t had the chance to drop by. Need to give you some pats on the back for this whole healthy thing you have started! When you have the time, do drop by my space. I recently made some whole wheat crepes stuffed with winter squash ragout.

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 11:31 am

Thanks! Those crepes sound delicious!

Ameena January 20, 2012 at 3:26 am

I too remember my running days fondly…but then I ran a bit too hard and too long and now have a bad knee to show for it!

Love your plan…I think it’s a fantastic way to stay in shape! And not get bored.

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Oh man that’s my biggest fear- to mess up my knee…has it improved since you stopped running?

Sig January 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Love this post! As you know my bloody knee injury has stopped me from running so I’ve had to try and be a little more innovative with my workouts as well. And you know how much I love my weights so I’m loving this workout plan for you :)

Keep it up!

Khushboo Thadani January 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Thanks! Did you notice any difference when you started lifting weights? Hope your knee is feeling better after you eased up on the running!

Patty January 20, 2012 at 6:52 pm

What a great outlook! Good work girl!!