Getting crafty

by Khushboo on January 6, 2012

The other night, my friend who I hadn’t seen in a while asked me when I’m finally going to start my own thing professionally. To be honest, I hate that question because I don’t know.  Rather than end the conversation there, she suggested I make a vision board.  Initially the idea of a homemade craft impacting my life rang some skepticism, but the more I Google about it, the more convinced I become.

I am a huge believer of The Secret and always have been, which advocates the power of positive thoughts.  For those of you who aren’t familiar, the basic underlying principle of The Secret is ‘The Law of Attraction’, which says that you attract into your life whatever you focus you your attention, energy, and beliefs on. In other words, your dominant thoughts will find a way to manifest into reality.

A vision board activates this idea and is simply a visual representation/collage filled with drawings, cut-outs, writings of the things that you want to have, experience, or become in your life.  It is a great way to influence our subconscious mind, which unconsciously aligns our activities towards achieving goals that are represented as images or symbols:

An example vision board

In other words, what we focus on, we create.  Obviously thinking positively about our dreams isn’t magically going to make them appear…I’m not that vulnerable.  We have to also apply action to generate the results.  From what I gathered, seeing a daily reminder helps us to focus on the joy of our dreams. In addition, they allow us to cultivate the excitement necessary to take further action steps that bring dreams closer to reality.

I’m sure some of you might reserve your doubts and that’s fair enough- different strokes for different folks.  In the meanwhile, I’ve bought my poster-board, my old magazines are stacked up and I’m ready to get snipping.  The way I see it, I can only gain from making a visual board.  If anything, I will finally downsize the clutter of magazines which is steadily, yet surely, growing in my bedroom ;) .

“Your vision board is the most powerful tool assisting you in manifesting abundance!”

Have you heard about vision boards before? Do you believe in their power?

Priyanka January 6, 2012 at 7:17 pm

You should totally go for it!

I have heard about vision boards and made a half hearted attempt at making one last year. But like anything in life, if you don’t believe in it, its not going to deliver. My vision board looked like one made by a 3 year old. Lists dominate my life.

My mum just sent me the secret and power, cannot wait to read them. Did you read both?

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I’ve read the secret, not the power! And I definitely agree about the believing part…no point doing something if you don’t have faith in it!

Parita @ myinnershakti January 6, 2012 at 8:00 pm

SO funny you posted about this because I too was thinking about making a small vision board for myself! If nothing else, it’s a fun, creative project and you’re right…at least I’ll have a few less old magazines sitting around my apt! Can’t wait to see your board!

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Great minds, eh! I’ve gone seriously scissor happy! Looking fwd to seeing yours too :)

Alexandra January 6, 2012 at 8:03 pm

What a fabulous idea!! Vision boards sure sound like a major motivator, shoot for your dreams girl, i know you can succeed in all you set your mind to! :)

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I’m already feel motivated just by snipping away!

Tracy's Treats January 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I’ve never heard or seen a vision board, but I can definitely see the power of them. When you constantly visualize your hopes and dreams in a positive manner, I think you’re more likely to devote constructive energy into them and in turn, they are more likely to manifest!

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Exactly- and writing them down/cutting out actual pictures kinda validates the dream if that makes sense!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 6, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Go for it girl…. I love the idea of this! I have been in the mood to make a collage lately, and I am going to roll with it and do something like this too!

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing yours!

forgottenbeast January 7, 2012 at 12:00 am

I know writing down goals makes them much easier to stick with, so I would think a visual and creative representation of those goals would be an even better reminder! Plus even if they don’t work, they DO look snazzy :)

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I was actually reading that this is more motivating than even writing down goals because our brains process images quicker than words! Either way, both definitely seem effective!

IHeartVegetables January 7, 2012 at 1:00 am

I think making a vision board is a cool idea! I’ve made something similar, but it was actually a project for work, and it was supposed to represent where we’ve been and where we want to be,e tc. It was actually a really cool exercise!

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm

That does sound like a cool exercise…much more appealing/enjoyable than filling in a self-evaluation form!

honeywhatscooking January 7, 2012 at 3:23 am

i love vision boards, and i really liked the book, The Secret, although it is pretty obvious, but sometimes you need to hear it. Have you herad of Pinterest? it’s amazing. You need an invite – let me know. You can basically setup your vision board on there with the things you love, and give each board a name. I have one for my blog, so take a look to get ideas. :-)

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I LOVE Pinteresst although it’s highly addictive! Something about going old school and using paper and scissors appeals to me, though!

Sig January 7, 2012 at 7:59 am

I’ve read the Secret – actually gave it to my Dad one year for a Father’s Day gift and he loved it too!

I’m a huge believer in visualising your dreams and having that inspiration and motivation in front of you. I find that having it there all the time, constantly brings me back to the things I want to achieve that might otherwise get lost with all the other thoughts in my head.

LOL – I did a massive vision board for my 2012 goals and posted it so I could share. Had so much fun doing it as well. Go for it! Would love to see your board :)

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Glad to know someone else has done one- going to check yours out :D

Purvi Verma Saini (@PurviVermaSaini) January 7, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I have not heard about vision boards before but I do see some logic in the concept you are talking about…I think positive thinking and dreaming will lead you to work hard towards the desired goals and hence bringing us more closer to achieving them :) :)

Would like to make my vision board as well :) :) very soon I hope :)

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Definitely go for it…if anything, it’s fun to just flick through old magazines :D

goodformegirl January 8, 2012 at 12:10 am

Love the board! I did my first one this year for my resolutions, and I really love it–the process, the outcome, everything!

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 10:01 pm

So far I’m loving the process..can’t wait to see the outcomes!

Simply Life January 8, 2012 at 4:57 pm

sounds like a great idea to do this! Ha, I just donate my growing piles of magazines to the library- this sounds like a much more fun use of them! :)

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I should probably start donating mine too so that someone else can benefit from them–> I’m the ultimate hoarder :)

Shannon from Healthiful Balance January 8, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I’ve seen so many bloggers make a vision board and love them! I think its a great motivator!

Khushboo Thadani January 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm

It definitely is…I’m definitely feeling motivated for the rest of 2012!

Christina Does It All January 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm

oh i LOVE the idea of this. I wanna make one!

Khushboo Thadani January 9, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Go for it!

Ameena January 9, 2012 at 8:24 am

I’ve always wanted to do this (even before The Secret) but I just never found the time. I think it’s a great idea!

Different strokes for different folks is my motto. It gets me past some crazy people here in LA!

Khushboo Thadani January 9, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Haha don’t u worry- India is full of loony bags too!

Nada (One Arab Vegan) January 9, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Hmm interesting! I’d never thought to do a vision board but I can definitely see the appeal and how it would be motivating. In theory I’d love to put one together but a) my roommate religiously recycles all our magazines and b) being back at uni means absolutely no time for anything that isn’t studying or dissertation-writing. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out though!

Khushboo Thadani January 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Haha oh man your roommate puts me to shame with her recycling ;)

Gayatri January 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

Ohhhh I’d never heard of vision boards before until I went to Journalism school. A classmate had made one. And she was the only one who got a job in the TV industry after the economy went kaput in 2008. (mostly because she was sleeping with the news director of channel 7, but nevermind)!

I think you should totally go for it Khushboo. You inspire the rest of us so I have no doubt you’ll inspire yourself too!

Khushboo Thadani January 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Hahah love that bit about sleeping with the news director ;) ! On a serious note, thanks so much for your comment…that last line was really nice to read :) !

jojo January 11, 2012 at 5:49 am

I definitely believe in the power of vision boards!
What you dream of, think about manifests into reality.. yes, but focusing it and visualizing it help you realize and take a step further in making it a reality.
You should do it! :D