A feAstive Christmas

by Khushboo on December 26, 2011

Having celebrated Christmas in both London &  Mumbai in the past, I can vouch for it being a completely different experience:

Christmas in London:

• Outside is freezing cold & I spend my day huddled around the mini heater at home
  • We exchange token presents because it’s hard not to get into the spirit
  • The whole city more or less shuts down
  • The day involves plenty of time at home watching whatever Christmas movies are on TV and the Queen’s speech
  • I wake up early to help prepare Christmas lunch

Christmas in Mumbai:

• I spent the day in harem pants & a tank top
  • Christmas eve is just another reason to party
  • Other than a few restaurants offering Christmas specials, it’s B.A.U: business as usual
  • I woke up to the smell of lunch being prepared, thanks to my mom & our cook

However in both places, food is a big deal and Christmas is one big feAstivity.  Although we didn’t have a Marks & Spencer at our disposal this year, I think we fared pretty well with our spread:

• Honey Mustard Roast Chicken
  • Prawn Cocktail
  • Truffle-Infused Green Beans & Broccoli and Rosemary Roast Potatoes
  • Mushroom & Almond Pilaf (recipe to come)
  • Unpictured Cranberry Sauce,  Gravy & Champagnebecause apparently happy hour starts early on Christmas

And because no meal is complete without dessert:

• Mince Pies
  • Chocolate Yule Log (one of my all time favorites)
  • Maple Leaf Biscuits

A second similarity is that Christmas in Mumbai & London both involves plenty of family time.  Despite being part of a family of Grinches, Christmas 2011 was definitely one to remember.  It’s not often my immediate family and I are together so we absolutely made the most of it…and probably set a record:

a full day sans any bickering ;) !

Hope you all had a great weekend, whether or not you actually celebrated Christmas!

Alexandra December 26, 2011 at 7:10 pm

What fun! I love how you compared Christmas in both locations. Your food looks great too!
Glad you had a great day! :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset December 26, 2011 at 9:41 pm

I love how you compared the different locations… how awesome! Great food lady, I am glad you had a nice time :)

Priyanka December 26, 2011 at 10:41 pm

I could dig into the honey mustard chicken right now. Glad you had a lovely day!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul December 26, 2011 at 11:17 pm

wowww that is AWESOME that you spent it at Mumbai!~haha, that makes me think of Mission Impossible (the new one), since I watched it last night :D And your honey mustard roast chicken sounds really delicious~!

Khushboo Thadani December 28, 2011 at 10:17 am

Was MI4 filmed in Mumbai? I’m pretty sure it was Dubai?

Gayatri December 27, 2011 at 3:53 am

Yum Yum Yum!!! Your feast looks SO delicious. Looks like you had a “best of both worlds” Christmas; with harem pants et al ;)

Sara K December 27, 2011 at 9:13 am

BAU…did you invent that Khushboo? Haha…I kind of wish it was BAU here as well- my friend and I were craving kebabs like no other on xmas and not a SINGLE RESTAURANT was open- no middle eastern or indian places which I was shocked at.
I have to say your xmas feast does look delicious though :)

Khushboo Thadani December 28, 2011 at 10:19 am

Hahah google BAU…I have not lost it completely to make up my own abbreviations ;) !
Hope you managed to fill the kebab void on Boxing Day.

runningismagical December 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

Oh that honey mustard chicken looks delicious! I think it is so cool that you’ve lived and experienced such a big holiday in two awesome countries! I love the comparisons you list…it’s so insightful!

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) December 27, 2011 at 2:25 pm

So happy to hear how you enjoyed the holiday. The food looks amazing!!!

Shannon from Healthiful Balance December 27, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I’ve never had a chocolate yule log but it sounds great! :)

Khushboo Thadani December 28, 2011 at 10:20 am

You need to try it ASAP- too delicious for words!

Nada (One Arab Vegan) December 27, 2011 at 2:39 pm

The lentil walnut loaf looks delicious! Bookmarked the recipe to try soon and I can’t wait for the mushroom almond pilaf recipe – sounds right up my alley. Glad you enjoyed your xmas celebrations :)

Karina December 27, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Best Christmas meal ever!! So glad we were able to spend the holidays together. Your pilaf recipe was fab – must have been the best part of the meal near second were the maple cookies.

Khushboo Thadani December 28, 2011 at 10:21 am

Glad you were here for it..I especially enjoyed our waffle breakfast!

Errign December 27, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Mmmmm I love feasts :)

forgottenbeast December 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I would love a Christmas in a tank top! And with any of that food–that pilaf sounds delish, ready for the recipe!

caloricandcrazy December 27, 2011 at 10:18 pm

The loaf and pilaf look so delectable. And I’ve always wanted to have a yule log cake!

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 28, 2011 at 4:17 am

Wow! What a fantastic array of foods — I need to get me some truffle oil soonish :)

Happy New Year my dear friend :)

Khushboo Thadani December 28, 2011 at 10:22 am

Truffle oil is a remarkable condiment- just a tiny bit can completely transform a dish!

Simply Life December 28, 2011 at 5:10 am

ha, I love this- one year I spent Christmas in Arizona and it felt so strange being in a tank top…but I wasn’t complaining :)

Only Fish Recipes December 28, 2011 at 12:34 pm

first time in your space . wow….what a fantastic array of food….I loved the honey mustard roast chicken the most……I’m ur new follower now…do visit my space in your free time :-) wishing u n ur family a merry christmas n a new year in advance !

Khushboo Thadani December 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for ‘stopping by’ and leaving such a kind comment- really appreciate it :) ! Happy holidays to you and your family too!