You can always count on Dr. Google

by Khushboo on December 24, 2011

For the last 10 days, I have been experiencing a funky pain on my right leg.  It started off on my shin which I assumed was  shin splints.  It’s now progressed to my right ankle and any kind of high-impact exercise highlights the pain more.  I initially tried to run through the pain but it only made matters worse so for now I’m avoiding it completely.  The idea of a few  weeks off running sounds much more appealing than potentially months off.  In the meanwhile, I’ve been trying to R.I.C.E. as much as possible: Rest, Ice, Compress, Elevate.  I’ve also been wearing this sexy ankle support:

I am no doctor but from what I’ve researched Googled, it seems to be a mild ankle sprain.  Fortunately the pain is not severe to the point that I can’t work out at all.  For now, I have been sticking to low-impact exercises like the elliptical, swimming and walks in the park.  I’ve also been doing upper body circuits involving both free weights, machines and body-weight exercises like press-ups, tricep bench dips, planks and crunches.  It’s not ideal but I’m making it work.

If anything, this pain has definitely been the wake-up call I needed to respect my body beyond regular exercise.  There are so many ways to prevent injury from exercise but these are the 4 which I plead “guilty” to, and am vowing to adopt from now on:

1) Do not do too much too soon:  In the case of running, try to avoid increasing your mileage more than 10% per week.

2) Stretch, stretch and stretch: This is one of my goals for 2012: STRETCH AFTER EVERY RUN!  By improving flexibility, stretching can improve athletic performance and decrease the risk of injury.

3) Don’t push through pain: Coming out of your comfort zones is one thing but asking more from a part of your body than it can currently provide is another.  There are no prizes for enduring real discomfort so take it as a signal that something’s wrong and be proactive about it!

4) Regularly change your trainers: Working out in old or worn out shoes will not give your feet the support they need.  As a general rule of thumb, runners who log 25 miles per week should replace their shoes every three to four months. I think this is one of the main reasons for my current pain.  The worst part is that I actually had a new pair of trainers sitting in my cupboard…I was just too lazy to make the switch :oops: .
What precautionary steps do you take to avoid injury?

Alexandra December 24, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Ouch! Hope you get better soon girl, that sucks :(
I just laughed so hard at that parrot picture though, it’s so true haha

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:04 am

I am so guilty of self-diagnosis! :)

jojo December 24, 2011 at 7:51 pm

That’s no good!
I had a wrist injury and I did exactly what you don’t recommend, I pushed through the pain and now I haven’t been able to play volleyball for 4 months! :(
I usually stretch to prevent injury but I could work on having self discipline NOT to push through in certain situation.. :(

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:05 am

It definitely requires a lot of discipline..I literally had to hold myself from the treadmill this morning…it was a mental debate between “one mile won’t kill” v “stop being so stubborn”

Priyanka December 24, 2011 at 10:39 pm

Staying away from running during injury is the best thing you can do for you poor legs. I remember few months back, prior to my toe fracture, I had strained my hip muscles and rest was the only thing it needed!!!(apart from the icing and compression of course)

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:06 am

Hope your hip is back to normal now! Were you able to do any kind of activity at the time?

Parita @ myinnershakti December 25, 2011 at 3:42 am

I hope your ankle is better in no time! I’m glad you’re taking time to R.E.S.T. :) And one of my 2012 goals is to stretch my little muscles as much as possible!!! I know I should…I’m just lazy!

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:07 am

Glad I’m not the only lazy one around when it comes to stretching! Isn’t it ironic that we can muster enough energy to actually exercise yet we feel too lazy to do the most mellow part and stretch!

Sarah December 25, 2011 at 6:03 am

Hope you feel better soon! I always search google with symptoms but generally end up scaring myself with some crazy rare disease! I really need to change my trainers soon – I’ve had them so long! Merry Christmas :)

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:08 am

Please don’t make the silly mistake I did…replace your trainers asap! And Merry Christmas to you too :) !

honeywhatscooking December 25, 2011 at 8:15 am

Hmm.. honestly, I only work out a couple days a week.. and I HATE running. I just do the elliptical and i haven’t suffered from any injury. When I do lift weights though, I start low and build up, a few times I started with more weights and I ended up hurting myself.

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:09 am

Good call on starting with low weights! Few minutes of feeling ‘bad ass’ by lifting heavy isn’t worth the post-effects!

Nada (One Arab Vegan) December 25, 2011 at 10:49 am

I’m definitely guilty of some of those myself! I’ve had some odd injuries/sprains surface since I’ve been taking my post-race rest and I think old shoes are to blame as well, which is why I’m trying to shop around for some new ones. Hope your leg gets better soon!

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:10 am

Hope you find some new shoes soon- what brand are you currently running with?

Gayatri December 26, 2011 at 2:22 am

Ohhh yes I’ve pushed myself beyond my capacity and regretted it later. I guess now I just stretch and listen to the signals my body gives out!

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:11 am

Yessir, clearly the body is smarter than I give it credit…and now payback’s a biatch :( !

Ameena December 26, 2011 at 8:27 am

I learned the hard way to not push through the pain! I fear I’ve permanently ruined my knees though – glad you figured this out before you have the same problems!

Hope you had a great weekend my friend! Happy Monday. :)

Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2011 at 11:12 am

Oh man, what a shame about your knees! Was it exercise-related? Hope you had a wonderful weekend too and this week is even better :) !

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 28, 2011 at 4:20 am

Stretching before any workouts are my go-to in avoiding injuries. Feel better soon honey *hugs*

natashaboruszok1992 December 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Awww I hope that yo get better soon – I can’t imagine not being able to run for such a long time!
I have been lucky to avoid getting any serious injuries, but here and there I have felt some aches and pains, especially in my left foot. Whenever this happens I stop running for 2 to 3 days and cross train!

Khushboo Thadani December 30, 2011 at 10:44 am

Thank you :) I’m hoping another week or so off running will do the trick!