December is probably one of my favorite times of the year in Mumbai: friends and family from all over the world tend to gravitate here. Everyone seems to be ready to have a good time and in general the city is even livelier than normal…which says a lot!
I can already forecast less sleep than normal, plenty of eating out, and that my liver is going to be pushed to new limits. While I plan to enjoy every minute of it, I don’t want to throw complete caution to the wind. To avoid having to kick myself in January, I thought it would be helpful to compile a list of my do’s and don’ts which I am going to try & follow:
- Do fit in some exercise: Chances are I won’t be exercising as long or intensely as normal but I’m aiming to get in some activity at least 4 days a week. Worst case scenario, I know that dancing will have me covered on the cardio front !
- Don’t ‘save’ my calories: Been there done that and it only fosters a binge mentality. It’s a surefire way to unnecessarily stuff my face by the end of the night…thanks but no thanks!
- Do ask for alterations: I’m all for enjoying meals out but if I’m eating out every day, I will try to keep some of the meals on the lighter side. I’m yet to visit a restaurant that refuses to put my dressing on the side, replace fries with grilled vegetables, or hold the butter.
- Don’t forget about H2O: Drinking enough water is one of the easiest, and cheapest, ways to stay healthy. Want to ward off a hangover? Boost your immunity? Prevent bags from forming under your eyes? Get sippin’!
- Do be a bread snob: Oprah says “Take the bread basket away”…I say eat the bread if it serves one (or both) of these purposes: it satiates your hunger or because it tastes extraordinary. Don’t eat the bread merely because it’s just ‘there’!
- Do take a vitamin B shot: I’ve blogged about these before as they do wonders for my energy levels. I don’t get enough vitamin B through my diet and so rather than rely on my memory to take supplements, a monthly vitamin B shot is a reliable way that it directly enters my bloodstream.
- Don’t beat myself over it: I am honestly okay with gaining a few pounds if it means enjoying myself and creating memories rather than having to worry about every morsel/sip going into my mouth. The key is to just make sure this mindset doesn’t continue on into January!
How do you plan to avoid ‘losing it’ completely over December?