There are some foods which instantly transcend me back to my childhood such as pesto. Not just pesto in any form though: spaghetti smothered in cream-based pesto. When I was growing up in Nigeria, one of my favorite restaurants was Il Sorisso. I actually wonder whether it is even still open. Anyways my standing order there would be Spaghetti Al Pesto Genovese–> every forkful was heavenly. Whatever anyone says, there IS a difference between oil-based & cream-based pesto. When I experimented replicating it with avocado as a substitute for cream, ‘pleasantly surprised’ doesn’t even cut it- I was THRILLED! I bring to you…Pestocado!
What you’ll need
- 1/4-1/2 avocado, mashed
- Red onion
- Salt & black pepper
- Chili flakes (optional)
1) Assemble & chop all your ingredients
2) In a heated skillet, add the garlic
3) Once the garlic starts to golden, add in the onions
4) As the onion starts to turn pink, mix in the tomatoes and basil
5) Sauté the above for a minute or so and then close the fire.
6) In a separate mixing bowl, combine the above with the mashed avocado. Add salt, black pepper, and chilil flakes and mix.
*This would be a great chicken/tofu topper. I am loving it in as a sauce for zucchini ‘spaghetti’ made from my new toy.
What food remains nostalgic for you?