My night yesterday was way more hectic than I prefer for a Monday. I don’t want to get graphic but let’s just say it involved me, my bathroom, multiple trips, and a spoilt avocado that I ate on Sunday night…fill in the blanks as you please. Despite all that, I have been buzzing all day. Ever heard of seasonal affective disorder?
SAD: A person with SAD typically experiences symptoms of depression as winter approaches and daylight hours become shorter.
Although I can’t say I have ever had SAD, I sure
have am HAPPY! Nothing beats waking up to natural sunlight (actually going to bed to rainstorms is pretty sweet too ). I know, I know I sound like a crazy weather lady with all my recent weather talk but blame it on my years of living in London: those Brits love to discuss weather. Although I do enjoy the occasional bout of rain, “snuggling up with a movie and something hot to drink” gets old pretty fast. I get that rain is a gift to nature but more often than not, it pisses on my parade…literally:
- It requires so much extra baggage: I once made the foolish mistake of leaving my umbrella at home and let’s just say: thank goodness I wasn’t wearing white that day !
- My hair: I am not high-maintenance in the slightest BUT my hair is an exception…I can’t stand the way rain frizzes it up, umbrella or not!
- It’s dangerous: Two weeks ago, heavy rains caused landslides which actually killed somebody , aaaannnnd the winds can be powerful enough to uproot trees. A showdown between two faces of nature?
- Eats up time: Any fellow Mumbai-ite will agree that getting things done in this city is generally a slow process. Add in rain-induced traffic, unscheduled train delays, etc and we’re working at snails’ pace.
- It makes me lazy: As much as I love lounging around in my pajamas all day, sadly not every day is a Sunday. While I rarely let the rains defeat my workout plans, there’s a positive correlation between rain & my motivation hitting rock bottom.
Now that the monsoons are d-o-n-e for 2011, any ideas how I ‘celebrated’ this morning? Naturally with something I haven’t done since April: by VOLUNTARILY getting wet… wearing a pair of goggles instead of trainers… compensating for my recent lack of vitamin D…tanning…reeking of chlorine..swimming outdoors….life is good!
Are you an all-weather person or do you share my sentiments towards rain?