After my lunch post yesterday, I was actually super surprised that I had requests for the bean dip recipe. As I mentioned, it was originally pinto bean chilli. The only reason I turned it into a dip is because of a lack of microwave (or stove) to warm up the leftovers. Funny how things work out, eh? 😉
I will say one thing: it is great to know that you guys don’t judge a
book dip by it’s cover. If you think the picture looks good, just wait till you taste it!
Besides the usuals (i.e. onion, garlic, oil), all you need are 4 main ingredients:
Pinto Bean Chili/Dip (3-4 servings)
- Peeled tomatoes, 1 can
- Greek yogurt, 1-2 tablespoons
- Chilli (or taco) seasoning, 2-3 teaspoons (add more if you feel)
- Pinto beans (or whatever bean you prefer), 1 can
- Garlic, 3-4 minced
- Onion, 1/2 finely chopped
- Olive oil (or spray oil), 1 tablespoon
- Black peppercorns, 1-2 tspns
- Bay leaf, 1
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder/flakes (optional)
- Mushrooms, chopped
- Red (or green/yellow) peppers, sliced
- In a heated skillet, add the olive oil or spray oil.
- Fry the garlic for a minute and add the onions.
- Once translucent, pour in the tin of peeled tomatoes and a bay leaf.
- Give it a good stir and add the chili/taco seasoning, salt, black peppercorns, and red chilli. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat and let it simmer till it thickens.
- In a separate skillet, sauté the mushrooms and peppers.
- Add in the canned beans, tomato sauce and mix well.
- Either eat warm in the form of chilli
- Store in refrigerator. Once cooled, stir in a 1-2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt and serve as a dip.