Some people might view venting as a form of cynicism or as a way of passing on negative energy. Personally I like to think that
bitching venting helps maintain good health, specifically mental health. Research actually shows that ‘staying cool’ can lower your satisfaction. If you want to attain true happiness, you should get angry. So here’s to good health and let me share a few things which have simply pissed me off this week:
1) Bad grammar: Sorry to sound like a nerd or anal (or both 😀 ) but the incorrect use of words like they’re/their/there, ‘could of’ instead of ‘could have’, you’re/your, and me/I drive me bonkers. For example: “Mary gave Joe and I a lift”. No, Mary did not. She gave Joe and me a lift.
2) Gym members who do not re-rack the weights: I’m sorry (actually I’m not sorry at all 😉 ) but it really gets on my nerves when I can only spot one half of a set of weights. I come to the gym to break a sweat, not look under a treadmill with the hope of finding a missing dumbbell.
3) Empty toilet paper rolls or hand-wash containers in the restroom at work: Ok I can understand the laziness behind not replenishing but if it’s empty, at least chuck it out. I can’t even count the amount of times that I have tried to wash my hands, only to find that nothing comes out of the soap dispenser.
4) Saggy pants syndrome: It’s physically impossible for me to lose that much weight between the start and end of the day, yet my trousers seem to become ridiculously baggy with every hour that passes. As it is, I don’t have much ‘junk in my trunk’ so this really does me no favors.
5) Hard avocadoes: It’s not always possible to find a ripe avocado, which is annoying when I want my green goodness NOW. And despite following ‘ripening tricks’ like wrapping it in newspaper and storing in a dark place, the damn thing never seems to ripen!
6) Bad manners, particularly lack of use of the terms ‘please’ and ‘thank you’. It seems to be a very local thing in Mumbai to say “Just bring my bag” instead of “Please bring my bag”. It really takes all of two seconds extra, costs nothing, and if anything, it shows good breeding. So at the risk of sounding like your elementary teacher, remembering these ‘magic words’ goes a LONG way.
Do your mental health a favor and tell me one thing that has recently gotten to you….