Lazy girl’s (or guy’s) basic Mexican recipe
If not eaten with caution, it’s easy to clock up over 1000 calories worth of Mexican food. Think guacamole, sour cream, grated cheese, tortilla chips, tequilla ETC! Fret not, it’s really easy to recreate a yummy Mexican meal at home which is super healthy and quick:
- Sauté some onions in a pan until browned
- Add in your choice of protein (In the past I’ve opted for chicken, prawns, and soya mince. Today’s dinner included a mix of soya mince and kidney beans)
- For a dose of vitamin C and lycopene, throw in some chopped red peppers and a chopped tomato
- Once the above has cooked, pour over about 1/3 bottle of salsa (you have to cheat a little ;))
- Pour the mix into an oven-proof dish and top with grated reduced fat cheddar. Grill it in the oven for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese has browned. This is optional but trust me, this last step makes the meal.
Put the jar of sour cream and guacamole down! Don’t ruin your healthy streak! Instead make your own at home.
Guacamole: mash together a ripe avocado with 1 finely chopped red onion, 2 finely chopped tomatoes, juice of lemon or lime, and sea salt to taste.
Sour cream: A good replacement is 0% Greek yogurt. If that’s not available, use this recipe for a yogurt dip as it it’s super creamy.