Body loathing

by Khushboo on May 26, 2015

Hey guys! I just got back from Budapest yesterday which was epic.  There are so many highlights I wan to share, so I’ll definitely put up a separate post within the next few days in case you’re planning to visit.  In the meanwhile I wanted to quickly link up to my latest entry on Huffington Post:

My Body Is Amazing And So Is Yours

Especially given the recent Dadbod (which I’m totally into by the way) / Mombod phenomena that’s gone viral, I’m discussing an issue that’s sadly becoming increasingly common amongst many of us, women especially: Body Loathing.  We spend so much time pointing out our bodies’ flaws and areas where we’d like to change but that energy can instead be redirected into something so much more positive & constructive like offering gratitude & celebrating all that we are.  No matter what shape or size, the human body is remarkable:

• It protects you from foreign substances
  • It heals & naturally detoxes you
  • It helps you move about the world
  • Every second youโ€™re breathing, your heart is pumping & keeping you alive
  • It  create a new life & then produces enough milk to nourish another human being

In other words, those extra few pounds, or whatever it is you hate about your body, are almost irrelevant when you realise just how much your body does & can do for you.

My Huffington Post entry is more personal than I would usually put up, but hopefully it will help inspire others to offer gratitude to their body and themselves as individuals.   No one is perfect, but if there’s one thing I’ve learnt- the minute you start to respect & celebrate your body, it starts to work in ways which you never imagined.  I’d love to hear your thoughts and any insight you have on this topic.

In the meanwhile, I’m off to enjoy the sun while it’s out in London:

Regents Park

Looks like summer is officially here!  And yes, I’ve become that person to stop mid-run to take a photo ;).

What’s one quality/aspect you love about your body?

What’s the weather like where you are?

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables May 27, 2015 at 2:00 am

Thanks for sharing your article! It’s amazing to step back and think about all of things our bodies have done for us! Definitely a good reminder to end the body loathing ๐Ÿ™‚

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 2:28 am

Thanks Liz- glad you enjoyed it ๐Ÿ™‚

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 27, 2015 at 5:20 am

I read your Huffington Post piece. I loved it.

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 2:28 am

Yay :)!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen May 27, 2015 at 6:03 am

Loved your article. I think it’s so important to hightlight the perspective of loving our bodies for what they can do, not their shape. Studying science and nutrition, and working in hospitals, has definitely given me such a huge appreciation for how crazy awesome the human body is!

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 2:30 am

Thanks Chelsea! It’s amazing how working in a hospital (or even just visiting someone in hospital) can give you a whole new perspective and sense of gratitude towards the human body.

Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 27, 2015 at 6:41 am

Congrats on the Huff Post article, girl! Read it and definitely loved it. Honestly? It kind of breaks my heart to see so many women hating on their bodies… especially because I spent so many years doing the same thing. Maybe it has a little bit to do with getting older, but I’m finally starting to feel comfortable in my skin despite it not being “perfect.” Our bodies are capable of so many amazing things if we just treat them right, and life is way too short to constantly be at war with ourselves.

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 2:30 am

Thanks Amanda :)! And you’re so right about being at war with our bodies- how can we expect to lift other people if we can’t even lift and big up our own selves!

karina May 27, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Congrats on your great article! Love all the points you hi light of how much are bodies are capable of. I’m very guilty of body loathing but finally after being pregnant and being able to nourish Sameer I feel proud of my body. Now I have a new found respect for my body and although I still workout and eat healthy to be in shape I have stopped criticising the parts I used to.

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 2:31 am

Yay this comment makes me so happy :)! Samiboo really is a miracle child <3!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 27, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Great article! I can’t wait to hear more about Budapest ๐Ÿ™‚ This Friday is my last day at work and then I have the whole of June off before I leave the country, so we have plenty of time to meet up – yay!

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 2:31 am

Awesome- let’s try and meet up some point next week?

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 28, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Yes, please! I’m free every day time except Monday ๐Ÿ™‚

Khushboo June 1, 2015 at 3:46 am

Perfect- is your cell number still the same?

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig June 1, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Sure is! I’m now free Wednesday all day and Friday morning/lunch time ๐Ÿ™‚

Parita @ myinnershakti May 27, 2015 at 6:24 pm

This is my favorite article of yours! It’s so true. We totally take for granted everything our body does to support us. Thanks for spreading the word on body love – you rock!

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 2:32 am

Thanks so much, P! Although I wish I could say that I never hated on my body, those days are definitely becoming less & less over time :)!

Julia @ Lord Still Loves Me May 28, 2015 at 4:20 am

I cannot wait to see a recap of Budapest! I am really looking forward to it. I am about to pop on over to read your entry on HP, but I wanted to comment here first and let you know how much I appreciate posts like this. I am recovering from an eating disorder and learning to love my body more and more each day. It certainly is a lifelong battle, but I have found that celebrating my body in similar ways to what you have brought up really help me out. Thank you so much Khushboo!

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Thanks so much Julia- comments like yours make blogging all he more worthwhile…glad to hear that you are making progress with developing a better body image :)! My Budapest recap is up- hope you enjoy reading it!

GiGi Eats May 28, 2015 at 8:31 am

I don’t just love ONE aspect of my body…. I LOVE IT ALL!!!! Flaws and ALL!

Khushboo May 28, 2015 at 8:09 pm