Freestylin’ dinner

by Khushboo on September 18, 2013

Hey guys!  I’ve mentioned in the past that I am a huge askhole i.e. someone who constantly asks for advice yet does the complete opposite of what they are told.  Apparently the same applies with cooking.  I spend ages searching for a recipe using a certain ingredient, yet rarely ever follow it.  After spending some time Googling & searching the Whole Foods app for a chicken-based recipe on Sunday, I narrowed down a few:

Despite them all sounding delish, I ended up repeating my dinner from the night before because it was such a hit.

photo 2

As I freestyled my way through, unfortunately I don’t have a recipe to share with exact quantities.  I think this is one of the reasons why I tend to cook more than I bake.  The former leaves room for creativity, whereas baking projects usually require careful measurement and exact technique.  With that being said, here is a “non-precise, feel-free-to-play-around” gist of this chicken stir-fry:

Feta & Almond Chicken Stir-Fry

Ingredients:

• Chicken breast, cubed
  • Zucchini, sliced
  • Mushrooms, sliced
  • Green beans, cut into 2-inch lengths
  • Onions, sliced
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Lemon juice
  • Salt to taste
  • Feta cheese, crumbled
  • Almond flakes, toasted

Method

1. Over medium heat, pan-fry cubes of chicken breast until cooked through and set aside.
  2. Re-heat skillet and sauté zucchini, green beans, mushrooms and onions until the vegetables are tender.  Add in the chicken, salt & squeeze of lemon juice and cook for a further minute.
  3. Turn off heat, toss chicken & vegetables in olive oil.  Mix in almond flakes & feta crumbles and serve.

photo 3

Gotta love those healthy fats! Taste aside, I know my hair and skin appreciated the extra dose.  And before it looks like I’m low-carbing, I’ll leave you with a picture of the delicious oatmeal raisin cookie I enjoyed earlier on that evening:

photo 1

You guys know I love my chocolate but if we’re talking Starbucks cookies, oatmeal raisin wins hands-down!

Cookies with chocolate chips or raisins?

Do you prefer to bake or cook?

Lucie@FitSwissChick September 18, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I love the ingredients of this one!! Especially the almond flakes, so genius.
Chocolate Chips, definitely. I like raisins, but well, they are not chocolate 🙂
Happy Wednesday Khushboo!

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm

“They are not chocolate”….sounds like a good enough reason to me 🙂

Arman @ thebigmansworld September 18, 2013 at 3:38 pm

That is so creative- never seen feta in a stirfry- and love how you got healthy fats from over 4 sources in one meal- your doing your body favours!

In cookies I actually really enjoy oatmeal raisin too- but muffins, hands down have to be chocolate chips. And I’m 50/50 with the bake and cook. Either or. This or that. Sorry, tangent. 😉

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Okay you’ve had me staring at this recipe for far too long trying to find the 4th source of healthy fat: olive oil, almonds, feta…what am I missing??

Arman @ thebigmansworld September 19, 2013 at 6:30 am

Oh my bad, I thought it was chicken thighs! Still 3 sources- impressive!

Khushboo September 19, 2013 at 8:52 am

I’m sure it would taste fabulous with chicken thighs too- give it a shot 🙂

Ksenija @ Health Ninja September 18, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Hahaha, I am a serious askhole, too. Love that expression, thanks 😉 My brother always complaints that when I ask him for advice I always end up doing the exact opposite. Your dinner sounds nevertheless delicious – I am a huge fan of the feta cheese almond combination, though I usually use it as salad topping with some honey… yum.

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Askholes reunite- glad I’m not the only one 😉

Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 18, 2013 at 4:36 pm

😆 I’m just as guilty for searching out recipes but rarely ever following them. I think that after you’ve been cooking/baking for a while, you just become comfortable enough with the process to put your own spin on things. And when it comes to choosing between baking or cooking, baking DEFINITELY wins… probably because the outcome is so much more tasty 😉 But please don’t make me choose between raisins and chocolate chips – I love them both for different reasons.

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm

I definitely need to reach that point with baking- I still get nervous about tweaking/playing around with certain baked good!

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen September 18, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I love lemon and feta together! It’s funny because I always do Asian flavours for my stir fries – I never think to do something different. But your recipe looks awesome!

I like my cookies with both chocolate chips and raisins! But if I had to choose, it would be chocolate chips. 😉

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:31 pm

I used to be the same about stir fries but after a bit of experimenting, I rarely go down the Asian route…love adding fresh herbs instead!

Shashi September 18, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Oooh – love the addition of feta to this stir fry! And almonds – girrl, this chickeny dinner is up there on texture and taste!
Actually, I love to bake, you know how you said that you can just throw anything together while cooking and it turns out great – well, I feel that way about baking. Up until I started my blog, I never wrote down any measurements – just went on a pinch, a dash, a handful and a splash 🙂
I came across this little quote awhile back “oatmeal raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip are the reason I have trust issues” …nuff said!

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Ah I love that you can bake without exact measurements- sign of an expert baker 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 18, 2013 at 6:36 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/celebratequotes/8372618379/ <— That basically sums up my feelings on the chocolate chip/raisin debate. I don't mind raisins…but in my cookies, I want chocolate :-p

Definitely intrigued by your stirfry! I usually go asian-y flavours in mine, so I never would have thought to add feta. That sounds pretty fabulous!

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Hahah that chocolate/raisin quote always makes me laugh 🙂

dixya| food, pleasure, and health September 18, 2013 at 7:26 pm

chocolate chip all the way 🙂 I love cooking for the same reason but again baking always makes me feel accomplished because I stayed long enough to wait and meticulously followed the recipe 😛

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm

That’s a pretty great outlook…will have to keep it in mind next time I bake 🙂

Alexis @ Hummusapien September 18, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Mmmm cookies with chocolate definitley win over their raisin counterparts for me. But don’t get me wrong–I do love a good oatmeal raisin cookie!

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm

As long as a cookie is involved, I’ll take it 😀

Lisa September 18, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Hehe an askhole. I like the word, and I’m totally one too! That’s awesome. And I like that there’s a name for it.
I think I equally like baking and cooking! Both of them are kind of comforting to me. I guess it all depends in what kind of craving I’m having that day…which is pretty much always sweet!

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:36 pm

Askholes kinda rock 🙂

Parita @ myinnershakti September 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Story of my life! I have all these grand plans for making delicious sounding recipes, but when it comes time to act on them, I end up throwing together some of the ingredients with whatever we have on hand. I call that creativity!! 🙂

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Hahah I guess we are a bunch of creative folks 😉

Angela @ Health's Angel September 18, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Ha! I’ve never heard the term askhole but I’m definitely guilty of that. That’s why I don’t ask people for advice as much these days. 🙂
I prefer baking over cooking, just because I’m better at it and I love my sweets. Though I’m enjoying cooking more and more lately because of the whole creativity/making your own rules thing!

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Cooking is baking’s rebellious side–> who needs rules 😉

Davida @ The Healthy Maven September 18, 2013 at 10:47 pm

bake any day of the week! How about you make me this dish and then I will bake you whatever treat you want. Deal? Looks delish!

Khushboo September 18, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Sounds like a win-win…let’s do it 🙂

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl September 19, 2013 at 12:23 am

I used to HATE raisins, but then I smartened up and since I have been eating healthier I actually really like them. Oatmeal raisin cookies are fabulous!

Khushboo September 19, 2013 at 8:50 am

Ahhhh-greed 😀

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 19, 2013 at 2:33 am

Askhole = new favorite word.

Khushboo September 19, 2013 at 8:51 am

Guilty of being one? 😉

P September 19, 2013 at 2:53 am

I am a chocolate chip cookie person all the way (white, chocolate, dark chocolate, double chocoalte—you name it!) but I don’t mind oatmeal cookies. I used to hate them when I was younger though 😛

Khushboo September 19, 2013 at 8:51 am

I take it you like chocolate? Heheh 😉

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish September 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

Ooooh Starbucks oatmeal raisin cookies…how I love them! I’ve been waiting for a GF version for a few years, though, so until that day comes, I’m forced to bake my own. However that’s not really a problem, as I really enjoy both baking and cooking. Just as adding a dash of this and that (freestyle cooking) is therapeutic for me, so is measuring baking ingredients. I truly love both equally!

Your stir fry sounds fantastic – especially the addition of almonds and feta cheese. Talk about great contrasting flavors and textures!

I hope you’re doing well, Khushboo! Sending big hugs your way! <3 xoxo

Khushboo September 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm

If your pics anything to go by, I’d take one of your cookies over a Starbucks cookie any day, Sara :)! Hope you are are well!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig September 19, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I don’t like oatmeal raisin cookies! I agree with the quote Sam posted – I have had a few bad experiences of biting into what I thought was a delicious chocolate chip cookie haha. That recipe sounds delicious! Anything with feta is a win in my book 🙂

Khushboo September 19, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Hahah raisins are sneaky lil buggers 😉

honeywhatscooking September 20, 2013 at 2:04 am

That’s it, this weekend I’m going to get that Oatmeal Raisin Cookie. I was at SB this morning for a PUmpkin Spice Latte, but they didn’t have the OR cookie. So I think it depends on the SB.
Yeah I do that too.. I’ll look up recipes and then do my own thing, I hate copying and pasting unless it’s amazing.
I prefer to bake, only cause the end result is so much better and lasts longer, I also have a sweet tooth.

Khushboo September 20, 2013 at 8:36 am

Given my sweet tooth, one thing’s for sure: I PREFER eating baked goods 😉

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 23, 2013 at 2:58 am

“Non-precise, feel-free-to-play-around” gist are my kind of recipes. It’s how I cool too although that Thai Chicken and Pineapple dish sounds good; mainly because I love pineapple.
Great emphasis on healthy fats and the benefits of same.

I prefer raisins in my cookies too.

Khushboo September 23, 2013 at 8:15 am

I love pineapple too…yet it always goes to the back of my mind when berries and apples are involved :)!