Californican Omelet

by Khushboo on August 28, 2013

There have been some interesting links popping up on my Facebook newsfeed lately.  One worth sharing is this page on 50 Life Hacks to Simplify Your World i.e. low-budget tips and tricks to make your life easier.  A few that particularly stood out include:

bagels

keys polish

nutella

Genius much?!

Another link which appealed was based on egg whites as healing miracle for burns.  As they are natural collagen, egg whites helps regenerate the burned area.  After spraying the affected area with cold water to stop the burning, spreading layers upon layers of egg whites will apparently help minimize the pain & reduce scarring.  Who would’ve thought!

Given all this sharing & egg talk, how about sharing a recipe…in particular a recipe of a recent lunch of mine? As delicious as eggs & avocado taste together, the Californican Omelet cranks that combo up a notch or 5.

photo-66

While this isn’t a life hack or DIY home remedy, it will surely leave your stomach feeling content afterwards.

Californican OmeletServes 1

Ingredients

• 1 whole egg & 2 egg whites
  • Salt & black pepper to taste
  • Cooking spray or extra virgin olive oil
  • 1-2 tablespoons grated cheddar
  • 1/3 avocado, cut into chunks (set aside a bit for garnishing)
  • Salsa

Method

1. Coat skillet with olive oil or cooking spray and place over low to medium heat.
  2. Crack eggs, salt & pepper into a mixing bowl & beat well with a fork.
  3. Pour egg mixture into skillet and immediately swirl the pan around so the egg coats the entire skillet.  Allow it to cook for 2-3 minutes
  4. Once the egg starts to firm up, sprinkle cheese & avocado across one half of the omelet, and fold over.  Flip the entire omelet carefully, which should now be shaped like a half moon.
  5. Cook omelet for a further 2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted completely.
  6. Prior to serving, spread a layer of salsa across the omelet & top with the remaining chunks of avocado

And yes, any recipe involving avocadoes is suddenly Californian…the same way salsa in a recipe automatically makes it Mexican ;).

What’s your favorite omelet addition?

Arman @ thebigmansworld August 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I’ve heard that egg white thing too- also at one stage I was eating wayyyy too many egg whites and my nails were growing like crazy!

That omelette looks, sounds and I’m sure tastes amazing- avocado and salsa really do work so well together! I sometimes put jalepenos in omelettes- the spiciness goes so well!

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 7:28 pm

Ooh I should definitely let my nail-biting friends know that egg white tip!

Lucie@FitSwissChick August 28, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I want nutella with ice cream now! And this omelette too! I am a huge omelette fan and I love the added cheese and avocado!
I use to add flaxseed and mushrooms to my omelett, as well as chicken meat – to make it extra filling 🙂

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

I’ve been meaning to try adding flaxseed to my omelet- I think that’s tomorrow’s lunch sorted 🙂

Amanda @ .running with spoons. August 28, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Lol I do the same thing when I add salsa to something… It immediately becomes Mexican 😉 But however you name it, this omelette sounds amazing – you can never go wrong with the combination of avocado and eggs. And speaking of eggs, I had no idea they could be used to treat burns… Usually I just use ACV for that.

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

aaand I had no idea about ACV and burns- good to know 🙂

Chelsea @ Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen August 28, 2013 at 5:03 pm

That’s so interesting about egg whites being used for burns!

And this omelette looks great. You can never go wrong with avocado and cheese! I’m not the biggest salsa fan with eggs, but I would just use tomatoes (I know, salsa and tomatoes are essentially the same thing… my taste buds are weird).

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Not the biggest “Salsa with Eggs” fan?? Say it ain’t so!! 🙂

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com August 28, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Woa-I would never have thought of using a cd spindle as a bagel tote! And great tip with the nail polish, sounds like it would work much better than my duck tape idea! The nutella and ice cream…gah – just typing it in is making me drool!
Love the omlet idea! Wish I had seen this before my breakfast of peanut butter and banana 🙁
Thank you for all the tips Khushboo! Going over to check your link “50 Life Hacks to Simplify Your World”

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Peanut butter is a pretty winning combo too…even more so than eggs & avocado 😉

Parita @ myinnershakti August 28, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I love adding feta and olives to my omelet – kind of a Greek combo! My mom also makes a killer Indianified omelet with spices, veggies, lots of garlic and chilis. YUM!

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Can’t go wrong with a masala omelet (sans cilantro)! 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig August 28, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I’ve seen tonnes of life hack type things, but I’ve never seen that Nutella/ice cream one. Genius!!!

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 7:31 pm

All the more reason to eat your next jar of Nutella faster 😉

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles August 28, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Note to self: buy nutella…and ice cream. I’m sorry, but I think that beats out the HLB-famed oats in a jar 😉
And the omelette looks awesome! Anything with salsa and avocado is guaranteed to make me happy.

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I love oats in a jar buuuuut ice cream in a Nutella jar sounds just a tad better 😉

Archana @ FeedingTheFoodie August 28, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I’ve seen the nailpaint trick before – its a good idea. We just bought this thing called “mon-keys” that are little key toppers – that help identify various keys. Nailpaints would be a cheaper alternative though.
I’ve never tried avocado with an omlette -I don’t like eggs much – in most forms – but I eat them for their protein – and usually I add a TON of veggies to mask the eggs.. some hot sauce later, its a hard to recognize omlette (sad!)

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 11:29 pm

OMG those mon-keys sound adorable! Don’t worry about your egg aversion- I probably eat enough for the both of us 😉

Lisa August 28, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Omelette recipes totally make me miss the fact that I had to give up eggs due to my silly allergy. I wonder if I’ll be able to eat them again ever.
My favorite omelettes used to always include cheese, spinach, and an array of different veggies. Oh and ketchup, always!

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Ah I really hope you’ll be able to eat eggs again! Have you tried introducing them back in small quantities?

Brittany August 28, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Ohhh man that Nutella one..pure genius for sure!! I love seeing tips like this they are so fun haha.

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Haha same here…even if I don’t actually implement any of them, they’re still fun to know 🙂

Alex @ therunwithin August 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm

that sounds like great flavors for an omelette! I love salsa on anything so…

Khushboo August 28, 2013 at 11:31 pm

You & me both 😉

Nikhita August 28, 2013 at 11:49 pm

SO obsessed with avocados lately – made a balsamic chicken and avocado sandwich for lunch yesterday which was simply divine! This omelette also looks great, I know what I’m doing for lunch tomorrow 🙂

Khushboo August 29, 2013 at 8:52 am

Anddd I know what I’m having for lunch today- that sandwich sounds delish!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets August 29, 2013 at 5:02 am

I’ve always used aloe for burns; egg whites is a new one for me.
I love the combination in this omelet. I’d probably throw in some sautéed onions and maybe some black beans just for kicks. Or not because it looks delicious as is.

Khushboo August 29, 2013 at 8:54 am

Sauteed onions and black beans sound like fantastic add-ins…good call :)!

Jess August 29, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Ok I want nutella and ice cream. I’m tempted to go and buy nutella just so I can do this! 🙂

Khushboo August 29, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Do ittt :)!

honeywhatscooking August 29, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I love California Omelet… this diner I go to makes it so well… I think they even put sour cream, I’ll have to visit again. Love the bagel idea.. so smart.

Khushboo August 29, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Oooh I bet Greek yogurt would be a great add-in too 🙂

Charlotte @ Commitness to Fitness August 29, 2013 at 9:41 pm

hahaha that nutella one is genius! and also i just love the phrase “end it with ice cream” ie: bad day? end it with ice cream. good day? end it with ice cream. how do i call a truce when my boyfriend and I are arguing over nothing? by ending it with ice cream 🙂 also- that omelet looks AMAZING.

Khushboo August 29, 2013 at 11:28 pm

Moral of the story: ice cream is the answer to everything ;)!

Alexis @ Hummusapien August 29, 2013 at 11:38 pm

Avocado in eggs takes omelets to a whooooole other level. Love the flavor and creaminess! I usually smear the avocado all over my toast and then cube some for my eggs. You can never have too much 😉

Khushboo August 30, 2013 at 11:15 am