Ain’t no party like a Gatsby party

by Khushboo on May 20, 2013

Wow, wow, WOW!  Three days later and I still can’t believe what a great film The Great Gasby is.  Although it’s been about 8 years since I read the book, I still went into the cinema with high expectations.  Fortunately the movie definitely lived up.  Between the extravagant sets, outfits, the killer soundtrack produced by Jay-Z, I thought it was a great portrayal of the novel.  I sure wouldn’t mind attending one of Gatsby’s parties ;).  Once again Leonardo DiCaprio NAILED it!  That guy really is like a fine wine- he just gets better with time!

leo

Before hitting up the cinema, a few friends and I went to The Table for dinner.  Have you ever eaten at a restaurant and suddenly regretted your order after trying your fellow diners’ meals?  Despite looking forward all day to their “Red Snapper Roasted in Japanese Aromatics with Spring Onion Fondue & The Table Farm Spinach”, one bite of Reyna’s Burger with blue cheese & Gayu’s Provencal Lamb Ragout with Pappardelle Pasta instantly made me wish I opted for something meatier.

photo 1

Although I’m yet to cook lamb or beef on my own, I satisfied my meat craving on Saturday with a homemade Rosemary Chicken Burger.  I couldn’t decide what flavors to go with so I just added seasonings as I went along.  Fortunately it came together rather deliciously:

photo 2

Rosemary Chicken Burger serves 1

Ingredients

• 100g minced chicken breast
  • 3 tablespoons oats
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • ½  teaspoon parsley
  • 2 teaspoons each of diced onions, diced red pepper & grated carrot
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce

Method

1. In a heated skillet, sauté the onions over medium heat until translucent.  Set aside and allow to cool.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the onions with the remaining ingredients & mix well.
  3. Using your hands, form above mixture into a patty.
  4. Pan fry over low heat for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

Just for the record, copious amounts of mustard & ketchup were later added.  A burger without either would just be wrong!  For a vegan alternative, I’m sure subbing in the chicken with tofu or soy mince would work perfectly.

Have you read/seen The Great Gatsby yet?  What did you think?

What’s your favorite kind of burger?

Sophia May 20, 2013 at 2:31 pm

! Your weekend sounds fabulous 🙂 I’m so glad to hear that Gatsby lives up to the book!!! It looks great and I do love Leo 😉 I can’t wait to see it! I’ve read the book twice so expectations are high for me too. Love the look of that Ragu- yum- but I like the sound of your meal even better! I adore Japanese flavours 😉 Now for burgers (yours look awesome by the way) I love a good grass fed beef with lettuce,tomato and carrot plus ketchup always and mustard/mayo depending on the day- bun has to be a lovely crusty roll with bite! But I probably like a good fish burger even better with some lettuce and caper/lemon mayo- on ciabatta-mmmm 🙂 love Sophia

Khushboo May 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Mmmm we should definitely have burgers together…your combo is simple yet perfect :)! I don’t think I’ve ever had a fish burger but I’m sure it’s as satisfying as a regular beef kind :)!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 20, 2013 at 3:57 pm

I read The Great Gatsby many years ago too, but I still haven’t seen the movie yet. I’m debating whether I should re-read the book first because it’s a bit of a blur to me.

Those chicken burgers sound fabulous! My favourite kind of burger is a tie between just good old beef burgers and homemade black bean burgers.

Khushboo May 20, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I wanted to re-read the book before seeing the movie but didn’t get a chance to. However I think I’m going to have to do so this week- I’m still in a GG state of mind 🙂

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles May 20, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I saw Gatsby yesterday! Seriously a great movie – Eric wasn’t actually a huge fan because he’s a purist when it comes to period movies (so he didn’t ‘get’ the music or those sorts of references) but I adored it – I thought the music and effects were a really clever way to modernize the story!

Favourite kind of burger: I’m a big fan of turkey burgers and veggie burgers. Although with the right toppings, any burger can be fabulous!

Khushboo May 20, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Haha I thought the music would be very out of place too, but it really worked- JayZ seems to be able to turn anything into gold 🙂

Amanda @ .running with spoons. May 20, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Confession: I’m not a big fan of burgers 😯 I’ve only eaten them on a handful of occasions in my life, and never really enjoyed them – I’d always opt for hot dogs if there was a choice. BUT… I do love the sounds of chicken and rosemary <3 Especially if there are copious amounts of ketchup involved 😉

I haven't seen Gatsby yet, but I loved the book so I'm looking forward to watching it on the big screen. The only thing is that I'm not sure I can handle the length, but everyone says it doesn't seem like a whopping 2.5 hours. Hope not, because I don't think I can wait for it to come out on DVD!

Khushboo May 20, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Oooh PLEASE see it on screen, the 3d effects make SUCH a difference. And I promise that the 2.5 hours flies back…I didn’t look at my phone once during the film, which says a lot :)!

Allison @ Life's a Bowl May 20, 2013 at 7:37 pm

That is a great way to describe Leo – like a fine wine… He always does such an awesome job adapting to the roles he plays! And he also always looks like a hunk 😉

Khushboo May 20, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of Leo but after seeing Django Unchained & GG, I’m definitely a convert 🙂

dixya@food, pleasure, and health May 20, 2013 at 7:45 pm

i loved that movie although i have never read the book. it was just perfect!!!! since i dont beef, my goto ones are heart veggie burgers with beans although sometimes i like chicken burgers yes ofcourse with ketchup!

Khushboo May 20, 2013 at 9:04 pm

Ketchup is a must…that too, preferably Heinz 😉

Alex @ therunwithin May 20, 2013 at 8:36 pm

that rosemary chicken burger sounds delicious, what great flavor combos.

Khushboo May 20, 2013 at 9:05 pm

I was pleasantly surprised 🙂

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 21, 2013 at 12:24 am

My favorite kind of burger is a veggie burger…go figure! 😉 I love topping them with tons of veggies and avocado! 🙂

Khushboo May 21, 2013 at 10:31 am

Avocados on burgers are a necessity!

Honey, What's Cooking May 21, 2013 at 1:01 am

I read the Great Gatsby back in 9th grade.. I don’t even remember it. Leo is hot, yup, he gets better with age. Favorite burger is a blackened grilled chicken or grilled salmon burger. I also love a mushroom burger. 🙂

Khushboo May 21, 2013 at 10:31 am

A blackened grilled chicken burger sounds awesome- I should try making that at home :)!

Meghan@Clean Eat Fast Feets May 21, 2013 at 1:10 am

What a nice weekend; I’m glad to hear you had such a great time, although having the perfect meal would have put it over the top, in a good way. Im a huge fan of Leo and Jay-Z so I can’t wait to see this film.

Khushboo May 21, 2013 at 10:32 am

I’m sure you will love the film 🙂

Allie May 21, 2013 at 3:08 am

I can’t wait to go see Gatsby! And Star Trek. And Fast 6. Let’s not judge my taste in movies 😉 So glad it’s summer movie season!

And I’d be totally looking forward to that snapper too–sounds delish. But fresh papardelle? Yum. And I haven’t had lamb since switching back to eating meat–woah, guess I should probably give it another try.

Khushboo May 21, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hahah I’m not one to judge but Star Trek?? Really?? ;)!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 21, 2013 at 5:27 am

I can’t believe I have NOT seen the movie yet and it’s been out for over a week here! Madness I tell you. I do think it will be happening sometime this weekend though, perhaps even Thursday! Glad to hear that it was so good. Although I would see it anyway considering my lover Leo is the starring man 🙂

Khushboo May 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

Haha exactly! Even if the movie was terrible, Leo alone would ensure I walked out with a smile :)!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 21, 2013 at 9:06 am

I can’t believe I haven’t seen it yet – it’s on my list and I’m not even a movie person!

Love the rosemary-chicken combo. Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs to cook with.

Khushboo May 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

Mine too…something about the combo of chicken & rosemary reminds me of Christmas!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish May 21, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Your excitement about Gatsby makes me want to see it again! I probably will, too, because I’ve heard 3D really enhances the experience (if that’s possible!). Unfortunately all of the 3D showings were sold out the night I went, but hey, I’ll gladly welcome an excuse to go again. 😉 Oh, and I completely agree with you about Leo–the man can do no wrong!

Wow, The Table sounds like an amazing restaurant. I’d like a bite (or 20) of all of your entrees–especially the blue cheese burger! Your snapper sounds incredible too, though. Please tell me more about the spring onion fondue?! I have a feeling I would have looooved that.

And speaking of love…I love a GOOD burger, which is exactly what your Rosemary Chicken patties appear to be. Yum! My favorite burger is either grass-fed beef or bison, topped with a flavorful cheese (aged cheddar, gouda etc), caramelized onions, avocado, lettuce and tomato. I’m not sure any meal is more satisfying!

I hope you had a wonderful Monday, Khushboo! <3

Khushboo May 21, 2013 at 6:33 pm

Oh you MUST see it in 3D- it really was an experience…so much that I might have to go see it again! And I think we need to add burgers to our London list…I know just the place (Byron Burger in case you want to check out the menu) :)!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 21, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Ooo I’m dying to see Gatsby! I’m glad you liked it – I’m nervous I’ll hate it, haha.

I would definitely have food envy if my companions’ meals sounded like that!

Khushboo May 21, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Haha have you read the book yet?

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig May 21, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Yep. I majored in English Lit so I’d be hard-pressed to have missed that one! I never like movies as much as the books hence why I’m scared to see it!

Khushboo May 22, 2013 at 9:57 am

Ah it can go either way…but my money’s on you loving the film 🙂

Brittany May 21, 2013 at 10:42 pm

YES YES YES I want to see Gatsby again I loved it so much!! I have to say though I did feel very sad at the end…almost like a blow to my heart haha. I also need to get the book, but I am finishing another book first so I’ve been stalling!! Ohh man I hate ordering the “wrong” thing!! I loveee burgers, with beans and anything else crazy!! Think: beets, quinoa, potatoes.

Khushboo May 22, 2013 at 10:04 am

OMG I felt just the same! I completely forgot about the ending from the book but let’s just say, I was hoping for something much different!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League May 22, 2013 at 5:56 am

Yay Gatsby! I loved it too, and absolutely loved the music! I thought it was totally cool what they did, modern music with the classic 20’s costumes.

Khushboo May 22, 2013 at 10:05 am

The contrast definitely worked well :)!

Jess May 22, 2013 at 8:27 am

Leo is so great isn’t he! I used to want to hate him as an actor but I agree he just keeps getting better and better! 🙂

Khushboo May 22, 2013 at 10:06 am

I’m banking on him finally winning an Oscar next year!!

Ameena May 22, 2013 at 8:38 am

I am dying to see this movie…it’s one of the few books I read during high school that I really loved. I am so glad you loved it! It makes me want to see it that much more.

Khushboo May 22, 2013 at 10:07 am

I am going to go ahead and presumptuous by saying “You will love it”!!!

P May 25, 2013 at 2:30 am

I think because we had to read it in school, rushed through it, and the symbolism was just plain wacko to me, I never really liked The Great Gatsby (gasp, I know! :P)!

The movie does look extravagant through! I have to ask my cousin if she saw it yet—she adores Leo :P!

Khushboo May 25, 2013 at 10:38 am

Hahah I couldn’t help but laugh about your take on Great Gatsby! Analysing books in school can definitely have the effect of you despising a novel by the end of it ;)!