Proof is in the pudding

by Khushboo on March 27, 2013

With summer coming up, it’s not surprising that most people want to shape up beforehand…I know I want to look my best.   Whether it’s because of an upcoming holiday/wedding or just to feel like a million bucks every time you thrown on a dress or pair of shorts, we all have our reasons.  No matter what “diet” or “detox” manifests, ultimately only one formula works:

Results

Especially after hearing the numerous benefits which a detox or cleanse promises, chances are you have, at one point or another, flirted with the idea of getting on board.  Whatever term is given to an overly prohibitive, misery-filled regime, all that a “detox” or “cleanse” does is suck the joy out of eating & living.  You know what I’m talking about: no-fat, no-sugar, no-carb, et cetera in favor of subsisting on leafy greens, herbal teas and “treating yourself” to a banana.

low-carb-diet-cartoon

I certainly don’t know everything but I’m 99% positive that a detox won’t leave you looking or feeling as amazing as you hoped.  Whether you’re seeking to nourish yourself internally or land yourself a “bikini body”, spare yourself the deprivation and expense of “superfood juices” and “slimming treatments”.  If anything, the lack of nutritious, real food will leave you cranky, lethargic, and hungry.  There’s only so long anyone can survive on a liquid/limited diet; summer lasts a heck of a lot longer than 10 days…and once you start eating solid foods (or carbs), the weight will pile back on.

And because pictures sometimes say it best, I’m going to leave you with some food for thought:

Nigella Gillian

Glass of vino anyone?

What’s the craziest detox you’ve heard of (or tried)? Cabbage soup diet…ick

What are you looking forward to this summer?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 27, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Hahaha I love that last picture! I hope I look like Nigella when I’m 50…. bring on the wine and butter please! 😉

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Would you like a side of bread with your buttah 😉

Picky Nicky March 27, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Lol this is all so true and well said 🙂 Craziest diet I’ve heard of has to be the lemon/maple/cayenne cleanse…

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Ick just the idea of it makes me want to hurl!

Dixya March 27, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Such a powerful picture to summarize everything. I have tried fruit and vegetable only diet for 2 days to see what it’s like and it’s almost impossible. Although it made me realize I could get creative with food 🙂

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I’m glad you got something positive out of the fruit & veggie diet…even if it wasn’t what you were expecting :)!

Jess March 27, 2013 at 5:21 pm

I want some wine! Maybe my next detox should be wine and chocolate! 🙂

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 7:15 pm

That’s a detox I could get behind…easily ;)!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 27, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I adore that last picture…Nigella is my hero. If wine and butter will have me looking like that in my 50’s, I am happy to keep consuming them.

I really hate the low/no carb diets…one of my profs told me she was on the Dukan Diet, and yea…massive eye twitch. Bread is love, people!

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 7:17 pm

Hahah bread is lust…bread with butter- now THAT’S love ;)!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 27, 2013 at 5:46 pm

LOVE that last comparison picture! It really does say it all! The craziest diet I’ve ever heard of is the feeding tube diet that brides use to lose weight pre-wedding time. MADE ME SO MAD!!!

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Diets like those are no wonder many brides turn into bridezillas 😀

Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 27, 2013 at 7:07 pm

100% with you on all of this! And I’ve been looking for that Nigella Lawson thing ever since I first saw it on Pinterest. Love it! And love her…she’s amazing and so is her food!

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I have never watched her shows but have SO much respect for her and her approach to food!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 27, 2013 at 7:42 pm

That last graphic – oh gosh. I’ve actually always wondered about that… I look at some of those health gurus or crazy fitness enthusiasts and I can’t help but think to myself that I would never want to look that way. I’ve definitely noticed that people who take really extreme approaches to health never really look like the picture of health themselves, and even through my own experience I’ve realized that trying to eat “perfectly” left me feeling/looking less than great. So yes… pass the vino please 😀

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Take a good swig out of that bottle ;)!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 27, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Amen to this! I hate when people complain about their body, but eat like crap. If you want to look and feel good, you have to eat healthy foods and get up and move! It seems like a no-brainer to me ;).

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 10:43 pm

You gotta make a change to see a change right! 🙂

Alex @ therunwithin March 27, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Love this! the crazier the diet the more it sells these days, terrible indication if you ask me.

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Apparently the big bucks are in crazies :/

Alexis @ Hummusapien March 27, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Hahah I love this post! I’ve seen that picture at the bottom before and it always makes me laugh. I’ve never done any kind of detox or cleanse…I think a lifestyle of eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables is the best way to naturally “detox” everyday.

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Love that…why detox every so often when you can detox naturally DAILY! 🙂

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish March 27, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Love this! You wouldn’t believe the number of people who have come to me asking which cleanse I recommend. My answer: NONE! I can’t stand the cleanse trend; there’s absolutely no scientific merit behind the idea! Our bodies naturally detoxify themselves every day. 🙂 As you said, the best approach is moderate eating, exercise, and–as Nigella has so beautifully proved–bread, butter, chocolate, and wine! 😀 Another “role model” chef I adore is Giada de Laurentiis. She has spoken out about eating everything—lots of Nutella and pasta, included—but in realistic amounts. Her body is proof that such an approach works! <3 xoxo

Khushboo March 27, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I have read a couple of Giada’s interviews and she too has such a refreshing approach to food….anyone who loves Nutella & pasta sounds like my kinda girl :)!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 27, 2013 at 10:52 pm

Sing it sister! Eat real food and the rest will follow.
Love the photos and my my butter and my wine.

Khushboo March 28, 2013 at 10:12 am

Glad you agree :)!

z @ kickingkilos March 27, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Another great post. Its weird but when people learn Im on a diet they ask me that why am I eating food? Acc. To them I should be eating just brocoll.
Its a lifestyle change and even though fad dietsay work for few days it will eventually fail. Iam loving being your client and each day is enjoyed 🙂

z @ kickingkilos March 27, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Dietsay–> diets may

Khushboo March 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

I’m glad you are enjoying the plan so far, Zainab!

P March 28, 2013 at 1:01 am

Definitely a shocking picture! I think those juice cleanse diets are the worst. I know those would never work for me because even smoothies leave me hungry!

Khushboo March 28, 2013 at 10:13 am

As delicious as smoothies can be, I miss the chew!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig March 28, 2013 at 1:34 am

LOL I love that last picture! Can we still be friends if I admit that I did the cabbage soup diet??? It’s the only fad diet I’ve ever done. I had some alterations done on my wedding dress, but they didn’t do what I asked for – meaning I had four weeks to lose 3 inches from my waist (and it’s not like I was overweight or anything!!). So in came the cabbage soup diet… it was horrible. I still can’t eat cabbage without shuddering!

Khushboo March 28, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hahah I’m just glad we WEREN’T friends while you were on that crazy diet….all that gas couldn’t have been pleasant to be around ;)! Jokes aside, how long did you stick it out for?

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig March 28, 2013 at 7:17 pm

LOL I actually didn’t have gas as bad as I thought I would… lucky me?!

I did it for a week. It was so random. Each day had a slightly different protocol – I remember milk and banana day! You were allowed all the soup, milk and bananas you wanted. Looking back on it now, that is absolutely ridiculous!!!! What an idiot I was.

Khushboo March 29, 2013 at 8:47 am

Haha actually more like “lucky Rob” 😉

Tessa @ Amazing Asset March 28, 2013 at 5:41 am

Very real post woman, while also making light of it… good stuff 🙂 Love that last picture, I think I am going toward the left picture! I tried the south beach diet wayyy back, in 8th grade I believe? because my mom was doing it and I thought even then I could spare to lose a few. Ughhhh. I lasted about 3 days, limiting carbs= Never ever everrrrr going to happen lol

Khushboo March 28, 2013 at 10:15 am

You and me both! I did Atkins when I was a sophomore in high school. I lasted for 2 weeks until I went on a class trip to Belgium i.e. land of chocolate :)!

Honey,What's Cooking (@honeywhatscook) March 28, 2013 at 9:09 am

wow, nigella lawson is 51!!!! WhAT???
She is HOT man.
Unbelievable.
Yeah, I don’t believe in extreme diets, I always end up pigging out at night if I do extreme stuff. The best way to lose weight is eat whole foods, enjoy the dark chocolates, and drink tea, water, and an occasional wine. At least that is what works for me. Lowering the carb intake definitely helps + workouts. 🙂

Khushboo March 28, 2013 at 10:16 am

I”m glad you said ‘lowering’ the carb intake instead of ‘eliminating’ 🙂

Katy March 29, 2013 at 4:54 am

Love this post!! Detoxes and diets are for people looking for quick short cuts. Being healthy and aging well is a combination of good habits, moderation and living your life to what makes you happy!

Khushboo March 29, 2013 at 8:47 am

Amen sister 🙂

Allie March 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I always always love your posts on dieting/eating right. Yup, it’s all about that triangle! What the heck are fads/cleanses/etc. going to achieve? If you get off track, just get on track, don’t go crazy and all over to the OTHER side of off the track. Gah, I KNOW how grumpy, unenergetic and listless not eating enough/not getting a good balance of fats, carbs, protein makes me feel, no way do I want to do that as a regular part of “health”!

Khushboo March 30, 2013 at 11:06 am

Hahah the track’s a looong road- I’m pretty sure the middle is the best position to be standing in 😉