Makeup Monday

by Khushboo on January 7, 2013

I should probably preface this post by saying I am not a makeup expert by any means. Heck if my sister is in the same country as me, I’ll beg ask her to do my makeup.  Three of my closest friends actually work in cosmetics and are either cringing that I’ve put this post up…orrrr proud that I actually pay attention when they share their wisdom :).

Although my makeup knowledge isn’t overly vast, there are a few products which I do know…and pretty well.  And while I still have a lot to learn, here are some of the items which I swear by:

Foundation

The first foundation I ever bought was Mac Studio Fix Powder.   Over the years, I’ve found that liquid foundation suits my skin type better and I’m currently using either Christian Dior Diorskin Forever or Make Up For Ever High Definition Foundation.  Because both are very light to wear, they give my skin an almost airbrush finish without looking like I’ve caked on a pound of foundation.

foundation

Eyeliner

Between shaky hands & watery eyes, applying eyeliner has never been my forte.  Fortunately I have recently gotten the hang of doing so thanks to Engraved Eyeliner Pencil from Mac…or at least I think I have ;).  If you’re looking for a dark & super smooth eyeliner, try this out.  And for what its worth, it barely seems to smudge, even on days I “forget” to remove my eye makeup.

EyelinerLip Gloss

I heard about Christian Dior Addict Lip Glow product almost a year and a half ago, and I think I’ve told everyone and their grandmother about it.  As someone who tends to avoid bold-colored lips, I was intrigued when I heard that “it responds to the color chemistry of your lips to create a shade that is uniquely yours”.  Fortunately this wasn’t a bunch of marketing jargon and I’ve been hooked since.

lip-glow

Blush

In fact I love Lip Glow so much that I had to buy Dior’s blush equivalent Rosy Glow:

dior_rosy_glow

I promise I’m not always boring with my makeup.  I prefer a more enhanced look at night and hence have been using Bobbi Brown’s Shimmer Brick in Bronze for a while now.  If you’re looking for a bronzy glow without looking too OTT, this is worth checking out:

bobbi brown

Mascara

Fortunately thick, long eyelashes are one of the many features I inherited from my dad.  I am not too fussy about the mascara I wear and currently alternate between Mac Zoom Fast Black Lash & Christian Dior Diorshow

mascara

Which make-up products/brands can you vouch for?

TorontoRunner January 7, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I NEVER ever ever use mascara or eye liner – It looks a mess when I put it on,I can never do it right, lol!! How do you ladies do it!!

Love seeing your preferences! A friend of mine swears by Bobbi Brown!

The ONLY makeup I ever use is foundation and blush – both Estee Lauder. I’ve only ever used Estee and have been soooo impressed with it. (I’m a liquid foundation lover too!)

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 9:41 pm

My friend works at Estee Lauder and I’m sure she’ll be pleased with your comment- she was giving me grief for not showcasing them more ;)!

karina January 7, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Great make up suggestions – i’m also loving using the lip glow and rosy glow. Find it so perfect for everyday as gives the perfect amount of color. I’ve heard such fab things about this Mac eyeliner – you’ve just convinced me to pick it up the next time I am at MAC counter.
One make up product I just cannot live without since this summer is BB cream. The maybelline one goes on so smoothly and love that it doesn’t have a hefty price tag. Although for Christmas I did treat myself to the bobbi brown bb cream however i am yet to open and try it.
Don’t mean to sound like a nagging older sister but you MUST take your make up off before you sleep no matter how tired you are!!! It is a cardinal sin not to.

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 9:42 pm

Hahah “nagging older sister”- love it! I learned everything from you..except the meticulous makeup removal routine! BB cream is huge in Bombay lately- Garnier just launched it and Deepika Padukone is the face of it!

Hamisha January 8, 2013 at 7:25 am

Whats bb cream

Khushboo January 8, 2013 at 10:50 am

Blemish balm- it’s similar to tinted moisturiser!

Jess January 7, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I like mineral makeup for my foundation. I’m on the oily side so I prefer powder to liquid foundation. I love makeup, buti don’t wear heaps of it.

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 9:42 pm

I don’t wear it on a daily basis either- I’m too lazy ha!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 7, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Great suggestions Khushboo! I’m pretty sure my makeup style hasn’t changed in about 5 years, I should really try to mix it up a little bit. I shy away from bold lips too, so I’m intrigued by that lip gloss!

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Let me know if you do try it- really is a great product! 🙂

Candice January 7, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I’m not a make up professional by any means either.. it usually melts/sweats off my face by 9 am..
I used to buy MAC make up but then once I had kids all my money goes towards diapers and little things 😉
My staples are: Maybeline blackest black mascara. (its the best), gel black eyeliner, and some sort of bronzing beads… Nothing special, but if I’m getting dressed up Ill add some neutral, poweder sparkly eyeshadow.

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I need to get more adventurous with eyeshadow- I’m always worried that I look too made up with it on!

Kiran @Masala Chica January 7, 2013 at 9:00 pm

I am bad about makeup – I seldom wear it – or I go and spend loads on it and then don’t use it. Just end up with my standard smudgy eyeliner and some lipgloss.

I love Buxom lip gloss – you get it from Sephora and it has that plumping stuff in it. Love the way it looks.

I also like this thing that covers up my under eye circles really well – they can get really bad – it’s called Erase Paste. It comes in Fair, Medium and Dark and I usually get the Medium. It’s a miracle on bad days.

Thanks for the tips, Khushboo!
Kiran

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 9:45 pm

Thanks for sharing some of your products…I’ll definitely have to look into the Buxom lip gloss!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I second the Buxom!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 7, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I kind of adore makeup. I used to be really big on doing elaborate eye makeup when I was in my teens and early 20’s, but over time I kind of lost interest and so now I usually just go for some foundation, blush, highlight, mascara, and eyeliner. Some favorite products? Maybelline’s BB cream, Bobbi Brown concealer, NARS orgasm, MAC’s soft and gentle mineralize skinfinish, Cover Girl’s LashBlast, and MAC’s eye kohl in Smolder.

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 9:46 pm

Wow these are all great suggestions, Amanda- thanks! I kinda wish I posted this while I was in London and actually had access to all these products! I guess it’s never too soon to make a “To Buy/Try” list for my next trip back ;)!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 7, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I like Lancome for foundation (sounds old school, but it has amazing coverage!). I also love Benefit products – their lip tint, blush (Dallas), and their chunky black eyeliner. Love the MAC eyeliner for lining the inner eye though. and all MAC eyeshadows. I have an embarassing amount!

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 10:42 pm

I don’t own a single eyeshadow- I should probably raid your collection ;)! Have you tried the Benefit tinted moisturiser? It’s great!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 7, 2013 at 10:47 pm

I haven’t… I use Bosica moisturizer. It has licorice in it which helps calm the skin (much-needed).

Allie January 7, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I don’t have any go-to makeup, I just buy something random every time. And that’s definitely not the smartest way to go about it, haha, I’m never that happy with any products I get. If I knew more about makeup, I’d definitely invest in some higher-end stuff…buuut, learning how to do that is buried somewhere on that ol’ general “to-do” list.

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Haha I don’t know about you but that my general “to do” list only seems to get bigger by the day ;)!

Parita @ myinnershakti January 7, 2013 at 10:35 pm

While I’m no make-up pro, I do love it! I’m really loving the Bobbi Brown foundation stick. It provides amazing coverage! Laura Mercier is another favorite brand. Thanks for sharing your fav products, K! I may have to check out that eyeliner.

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I don’t think I’ve actually ever tried Laura Mercier but I know my sis is a fan….will definitely give it a try when she is next in town 🙂

Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 7, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I’m a total spaz at makeup, it’s pathetic haha. I always recruit one of my friends to do mine for me when we go out together at night. My favorite foundation right now is Arbonne…it’s natural and really light on the skin. Great product!

Khushboo January 7, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Don’t worry- my skills are extremely limited..I’m all for getting others to do my make-up ;)!

Brittany January 7, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I only wear makeup on days I am doing something special. Sometimes I feel like I should wear it more, but I am MUCH too lazy to. So with that said, I am not a makeup knower at all. I know nothing. I buy the cheap stuff at Target and BAM!

Khushboo January 8, 2013 at 10:33 am

You & me both when it comes to being lazy about wearing make-up! I only wear it when I’m going somewhere out of the ordinary/at night!

Samantha Angela January 8, 2013 at 1:34 am

I usually do liquid eyeliner because I like the clean, sharp ’60s/’70s look of it.
As an added bonus it doesn’t end up smeared all over my face like pencil liner manages to do.

Khushboo January 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

I should try liquid eyeliner, especially I prefer a sharper look..:)!

Hansa January 8, 2013 at 2:57 am

I’m loving the Bobby Brown Bb cream. Other Bb creams are known as blemish balm but the bobby brown is beauty balm.

Khushboo January 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

What’s the difference?

Hansa January 8, 2013 at 3:18 pm

It’s known as blemish balm in the far east and beauty balm in the western Market. To be honest beauty balm sounds so much better.

Alex @ therunwithin January 8, 2013 at 7:14 am

oh gosh I am terrible with makeup. like I never wear makeup… whoops

Khushboo January 8, 2013 at 10:50 am

No harm being low maintenance 😀

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish January 8, 2013 at 9:08 am

Love this! Applying eyeliner has never been my forte either! It *always* smudges, no matter which brand I use. I’ve never understood how women get it to stay perfectly applied all day long! You’ve definitely convinced me to give Mac a try though; maybe it’s the answer to my problem?!

I’m a huge fan of Diorshow mascara, and always have it (or Benefit Bad Gal) in my makeup bag. I wear Bare Minerals foundation, but recently switched to the compact because the powder was too messy. Liquid foundation has always looked too cakey on my face. As for lip glosses? Love ’em all! I’m actually a bit of a hoarder, but I’ve never tried Addict Lip Glow. It might just be my next purchase. 😉

Khushboo January 8, 2013 at 10:51 am

Trust me Sara: if I can successfully put on eyeliner with Mac, ANYONE can…please try it out :)!

honeywhatscooking January 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

Love this post… I’ve been wanting to do a makeup post for so long ever since Parita did one. Maybe in a month. OMG, i have to check out this Dior LipGloss, looks amazing. I use the MAC Kohl Eyeliner, but i’m gonna check out hte one you use. I love Nars Bronzer Laguna, one product I can’t get enough of.

Khushboo January 8, 2013 at 10:52 am

Unfortunately I am rather fare which means bronzer is my BFF- will check out Nars Bronzer Laguna 🙂

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 9, 2013 at 1:55 am

Loved this post – nice to read something different! Since I moved to London, I’ve become obsessed with make up….. and clothes, and shoes, etc. It’s just so cheap compared to in Australia where you have to pay $25 for a damn Maybelline mascara! I’m in love with Mac and Benefit but I’m always open to experimentation. The fact that I spent a large part of my childhood and teenage years applying stage make up to myself for dance concerts fortunately means I can do a pretty decent job at it 😉

Khushboo January 9, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Haha I think you’re the only person who would describe London as cheap ;)! I need to come to you for make-up tips 😀

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig January 9, 2013 at 2:50 pm

A few of the guys I work with just went back to Australia for a trip and they couldn’t believe how expensive it was! I’m not crazy 😉 I live like a king in London compared to Oz!

Khushboo January 9, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Maybe I should visit Australia- could be a nice reality check ;)!