Oh hello there weekend! Amongst many things, one of my favourite weekend pasttimes is going for brunch. As much as I love sweet breakfasts, I will almost always go for savory at brunch, especially if poached eggs are on the menu. There are few meals better than runny egg on toast and up until Wednesday, I just couldn’t poach an egg. The 2 times I did attempt to, I ended up overcooking it. Let’s just say an egg puck wasn’t exactly the texture I was hoping for. There’s a lot to be said about “third time lucky” because I finally nailed it!
1) Bring water to boil and then reduce the heat.
2) Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar & ¼ teaspoon salt to the water (*Do not skimp on the vinegar*)
3) Crack the egg into a small bowl, then place the bowl near the surface of the hot water and gently drop the egg into the water
4) If the egg white starts to separate, just use your spoon to nudge the whites closer to the yolk.
5) Turn off the heat after 2-3 minutes. Spoon out the egg and place it on a napkin to drain out the excess water.
6) Season & serve
*Do not skimp on the vinegar as it will help the egg white to congeal more easily.