An Eggs-eptional Meal

by Khushboo on December 21, 2012

Oh hello there weekend!  Amongst many things, one of my favourite weekend pasttimes is going for brunch.  As much as I love sweet breakfasts, I will almost always go for savory at brunch, especially if poached eggs are on the menu.  There are few meals better than runny egg on toast and up until Wednesday, I just couldn’t poach an egg.  The 2 times I did attempt to, I ended up overcooking it.  Let’s just say an egg puck wasn’t exactly the texture I was hoping for.  There’s a lot to be said about “third time lucky”  because I finally nailed it!

Granted it’s not as photogenic as poached eggs typically are, but I was damn pleased with the result.  Now that I’ve gotten the texture down, I’ll work on presentation next ;) . Here’s hoping they will soon resemble this:

The Providores- Maylebone High Street

If you too struggle with poaching eggs, here’s a step-by-step tutorial…I promise it’s not eggs-cruciating at all:
What You’ll Need:
  • 1 egg
  • Small Bowl
  • Vinegar (any variety is fine- I used malt)
  • Salt
  • Pot filled with water
Method:

1) Bring water to boil and then reduce the heat.

2) Add 2 tablespoons of vinegar & ¼ teaspoon salt to the water  (*Do not skimp on the vinegar*)

3) Crack the egg into a small bowl, then place the bowl near the surface of the hot water and gently drop the egg into the water

4) If the egg white starts to separate, just use your spoon to nudge the whites closer to the yolk.

5) Turn off the heat after 2-3 minutes.  Spoon out the egg and place it on a napkin to drain out the excess water.

6) Season & serve

*Do not skimp on the vinegar as it will help the egg white to congeal more easily.

What’s your favorite brunch item?
What’s the one food you just can’t seem to cook?

TorontoRunner December 21, 2012 at 2:27 pm

That looks SO good. Your instructions/pics are super easy to follow too! I usually have my eggs scrambled, but I’d like to try this :D

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:10 am

Please do- I promise it’s easy :)

ritika December 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm

that looks super good. and what’s that brownish paprika like power over the zucchini and the greens?

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:10 am

Peri peri seasoning!

Reena December 21, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hey Khushboo,

Thanks for the tip!!

I like my poached egg well done.. N i make thm in the microwave n trust me they look pretty appetizing..

Try it out

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:11 am

Thanks Reena but believe it or not- we have never owned a microwave :) !

Alexandra December 21, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Man this sounds awesome!!! Love me some eggs :D
I can never seem to cook pancakes right– they always turn into scrambles haha

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:12 am

Haha for the longest time, my omelettes turned into scrambled eggs out of default….biggest tip: be patient and let it cook before flipping!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig December 21, 2012 at 7:06 pm

This is great! I have never even tried to poach an egg because I assumed it would be super complicated (kinda like making risotto) so I want to try it now :)

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:12 am

Haha funny you mention risotto- it’s actually super easy to make! The only nuisance is the constant stirring!

Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I have still never dared to poach an egg, it’s on my cooking bucket list sort of though! You make it look easy…but I have a sneaking suspicion it’s not that easy haha. I’ll try it one of these days!

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:13 am

I promise it’s easier than seem- try it!!

Alex @ therunwithin December 21, 2012 at 9:05 pm

i agree I go for savory at brunch, i am all about poached eggs

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:13 am

They’re the best, right!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset December 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm

Oh my goodness woman this looks truly exceptional! I have always wanted to try poaching an egg… never have for some dumb reason lol. Well now I have a rather perfect recipe to give it a whirl on! :) Have a most delightful weekend

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:14 am

Hope you do give them a shot…definitely worth trying! Have a great weekend too :D

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I’ve only tried to make poach eggs once, and it was an absolute disaster :lol: You make it look so easy, though, so I might have to give it another shot… maybe for lunch or dinner. Just like with breakfast, brunches usually end up being sweet for me – I guess my raging sweet tooth just takes any opportunity it can to get some sugar. Crepes stuffed with cream cheese and blueberry jam is where it’s at for me :D

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:15 am

Er WOW- that crepe sounds fantastic…very cheesecake-like which I’m all about :) !

Allie December 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Oh man–That feeling where you finally master the poached egg is SO GOOD. I love a big savory breakfast with eggs, toast, and lots of ketchup :) And I just can’t cook RICE. I know it’s supposed to be easy, but I don’t get it!

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:17 am

You and me both…cooking rice is too hit & miss for me which explains why I can’t even remember the last time I attempted to!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 21, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I’ve never tried making a poached egg before because I’m scared to. :P You make it look not-so-hard though!

My favourite brunch food is definitely a bagel and lox!

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:17 am

As easy as bagel & lox is to replicate at home, there’s something extra delicious about ordering it at a restaurant!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 21, 2012 at 11:43 pm

You are so right on the vinegar. I used ACV for my lightened up Benedict and it worked like a charm! It doesn’t have to be pretty… just perfectly runny. :)

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:18 am

We are totally on the same wavelength- so long as it tastes good, presentation is overrated ;) !

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 22, 2012 at 1:12 am

I love poached eggs but I can never do them properly! I always order them when I go out for breakfast, or I get my brother to make them whenever we’re both at my parents (he went to culinary school). At home I make do with sunny-side up…I think I may have to attempt poached again soon though.

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 2:20 am

My bro didn’t go to culinary school yet somehow managed to learn poached eggs much before me…must be a brother thing ;) !

honeywhatscooking December 22, 2012 at 8:02 am

oh yay… never poached an egg, love the tutorial K. are you still in London?
my favorite brunch item are eggs florentine and french toast and huevos rancheros. :-)

Khushboo December 22, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I’m still here…for another week or so :) ! Love French Toast but always forget to make it!

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition December 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm

Oh I am so trying this! Mine have been coming out either way undercooked or hard as a rock haha

Khushboo December 23, 2012 at 12:55 am

For what it’s worth, undercooked beats hard eggs :D

Brittany December 22, 2012 at 11:56 pm

I used to struggle so hard with making pancakes. I would always burn them. Such a simple food to make, but I always had the heat up too high. I thank my impatience for that. Now I turn the heat down lower and try not to gnaw off my arm while I wait!! I want to go to brunch..that sounds like fun!

Khushboo December 23, 2012 at 12:56 am

Haha sounds like me with omelettes back in the day…..they used to always turn into scrambled eggs out of default!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish December 23, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Mastering the poached egg is a huge feat! Congrats! I have yet to accomplish this one, but I can’t whine too much because I’ve never tried. :-p One of my housemates has a “perfect egg cooker,” which is a handy device that boils and poaches eggs “perfectly.” It’s totally cheating, but disaster-proof! Someday, I’ll muster the courage to be authentic, and now that I have this tutorial, I’m thinking that day will come sooner rather than later. :)

I’m definitely a savory breakfast girl, too; I always go for eggs! Omelets and Eggs Benedict (with smoked salmon instead of ham, please!) are my go-to orders, however occasionally I’ll mix things up with a scramble or hash. ;)

Khushboo December 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Eggs benedict with smoked salmon really is divine….the salmon takes the meal to a whole new level :) !

Ameena December 23, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I’ve never ventured to make a poached egg…despite loving them! Great idea to add vinegar…that might make a proper poached egg possible for me!

Thanks again for the great list, can’t wait to be in London in a few days!

Khushboo December 23, 2012 at 3:56 pm

No problem at all- I hope you have a wonderful time in London…and that the rain stays away during your trip :) !

Kat December 23, 2012 at 9:16 pm

My gpa used to love poached eggs. Im more of an over easy kinda girl. I like just a bit of yolk :)

Khushboo December 24, 2012 at 4:25 am

I just googled the difference between over easy eggs & sunny side up…sounds good to me :) !

Sonal December 24, 2012 at 12:52 am

Eggs benedict (with smoked salmon not ham) is definitely my favourite brunch selection! :) I have a little poaching egg device but i’ve never tried adding vinegar so i’m going to try this! Thank youu!

Khushboo December 24, 2012 at 4:25 am

I too have a poaching egg device but even had trouble getting the perfect texture using it :( !