It’s beginning to feel a lot like December

by Khushboo on December 7, 2012

Our bodies are smart…a bit too smart!  Although it’s probably for the best, I wish there were some bodily processes that we had control over.  The one that instantly comes to mind is acclimatization:

The process in an individual organism adjusting to a gradual change in its environment (such as a change in temperature, humidity, photoperiod, or pH), allowing it to maintain performance across a range of environmental conditions. (Source)

Living in Mumbai where it’s sunny & hot 9 months of the year has turned me into a major weather wimp!  I wish I were exaggerating but the weather in London has felt brutal.  I came home yesterday and immediately ran my hands under hot water because they were so numb.

That being said whined, living in Mumbai has also made me appreciate the cold..slightly.  I’m sure the novelty of layering up will soon wear off but it’s a nice change to bust out the sweaters, scarves, jackets, and boots. Especially as I’m still jet-lagged and up before the crack of dawn, I have been starting my days with long walks in the park.  As long as I’m bundled up well, walking in the cold is much more refreshing than humid conditions.  More than that anything, the freezing temperatures add to the festive spirit and the magical feeling that December brings.  Although I started the month off by saying “I can’t believe it’s December”, I actually can now.  Just look at all the signs:

• Post 4-pm the streets are simultaenously dark & well-lit

Oxford Street

• The trees look a bit like this:

Hyde Park

•  I enter my building and am immediately greeted with this:
  • The color of my PJs are extremely holiday-appropriate
  • My eyes immediately go to the “Soups” & “Hot Dishes” portion of the menu

Le Pain Quotidien

• I’ve made a new BFF…and he’s pretty hot ;)

Let’s just say that it’s almost impossible to not fall into the Christmas spirit while being in London.

What screams “December” for you?

TorontoRunner December 7, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Those lights are beautiful!! What a great picture.I love it. THAT definitely screams December!

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

The lights makes walking down Oxford Street feel like such a treat!

Alexandra December 7, 2012 at 5:26 pm

WOW Oxford street is downright stunning! I would love to just sit on a bench and stare at those lights all night :) Well…maybe sit indoors by a fire rather than a bench haha

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Haha as long as you bring some hot choc, I’ll sit on a bench with you ;) !

Jess December 7, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Love that picture of the streets all lit up! It looks so beautiful there! I always associate summer and Christmas, so the beach, crowded mall, bbqs, and sun dresses feel very Christmasy to me!

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Ah I forget that December in Australia is more like! I sure would love to be on a beach now :)

Parita @ myinnershakti December 7, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Aww…looks like you’re having a blast in London. How long are you there for?

Nothing screams December like Christmas songs! You can’t go anywhere without hearing them!

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I’m here till right after Christmas! I forgot to mention Christmas songs- love walking past the carollers on the street!

Kat December 7, 2012 at 8:02 pm

YES!! I love december :) Things like scream xmas to me are, starbucks red cups, music, that bitter chill in the air in the morning, and pinecones :)

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm

I was at Starbucks the other day and the barista was about to make my drink in a boring white cup…I may or may not have asked him to make it in a red cup instead :)

Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Oh girl can I relate to being a cold weather wimp… which doesn’t really work in my favor considering it’s absolutely freezing here in Canada. BUT! the one nice thing about it is that it never fails to feel like Christmas. Snow, a lit fireplace, lights on houses, holiday cookies, decorated malls, Christmas music… those things definitely scream December to me :)

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Those all sound perfect…the only thing missing is hot choc with marshmallows ;) !

Alex @ therunwithin December 7, 2012 at 9:41 pm

this is awesome, i wish streets around here looked like that. i know it is december when i start getting super homesick.. like clockwork!

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Not long to go till it’s Christmas and you’re back with your family!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health December 8, 2012 at 12:50 am

Living in Dallas, Texas this warm weather has spoiled me completely this year. I dread cold weather now but i love the winter clothing, cute accessories and boots. You are totally in holiday spirit with those cute PJs in London. I hope you will have a blast and keep sharing with us. PS. I am little jealous.

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets a kick out of winter fashion- really is a welcome change!

Brittany December 8, 2012 at 2:05 am

Haha I often run my hands under warm water, and I also will soak my toes in the bathtub because my circulation gets horrible!! I love the look of that street, but I can just SEE how cold it looks!! BRR!

Khushboo December 8, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Put it this way, you know it’s COLD when you can’t speak without smoke coming outta your mouth!

caloricandcrazy December 9, 2012 at 9:30 am

I know it’s December because my toes look like cherry tomatoes and sting from the cold! And going out for a run is the only way to keep warm!!

Khushboo December 9, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I’ve gained a whole new kind of respect for winter runners! Because of all the layers, I can only get myself to go for walks outdoors!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish December 9, 2012 at 11:36 am

I can definitely relate to the woman in the ecard! The suggestion of staying indoors is one I rarely welcome most of the year, but come winter, I’m more than thrilled to park myself by the fireplace (of BFF heater), hot chocolate in hand, thankyouverymuch. :)

Oxford Street is one of my favorite places in London! The light display is quite impressive–especially the floating umbrellas and gift boxes! Ahh, I’d do anything to be there right now.

You may have mentioned this in a previous post, but how long do you plan to stay?

Enjoy the rest of your weekend! <3 xoxo

Khushboo December 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I’m here till just after Christmas! Even though I’m here for a while, I am trying to make the most of each day while I can :D

Vandana December 9, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Hey looks like you are enjoying bundling up… Cool PJs by the way… Love the lights on the street… Definitely would enjoy a huge mug of hot choc with marshmallows and sitting outside watching snowflakes or the city lights…(while being bundled up!!!)… In Las Cruces, the winds were crazy when I stayed there…. just snow seems good but the winds make winter torturous….

Khushboo December 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Even winds I can handle…but throw rain into the mix and it’s just a disaster!

Ameena December 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm

SO gorgeous. I might be in London this month…are you going to be there for a while?

Le Pain is a classic every city we go. Love that place.

Khushboo December 10, 2012 at 4:09 am

I’m here till just after Christmas- let me know if you’re here before then :)

Ameena December 10, 2012 at 10:16 am

Right now we arrive on Dec 24 but I am trying to leave one day later so I think we’ll miss you by a day or two!

Khushboo December 10, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Ah man…keep me posted if you do by any chance make it before Christmas :)

JoJo December 9, 2012 at 11:15 pm

It used to be snow.. but now that I’m living in california, not so much anymore..
I’m still getting used to this “winter” without snow! I can’t complain though, I get to play beach volleyball all year around… ;P
Cute pj! :D

Khushboo December 10, 2012 at 4:10 am

The idea of going to the beach all year round sounds like a dream :)

Shreya @ rushofendorphins December 10, 2012 at 7:04 am

Oh my god Khushboo, London looks amazing!

And there’s nothing but the calendar that screams December, because it is exactly the same here all year round! Hahaha pretty sad, really.

Anyway, I hope you have a great time in London girl! :)

Khushboo December 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hahahah at least the calendar still serves a purpose ;) !

Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More December 10, 2012 at 8:40 am

I am ready and excited for Christmas! Just not ready for the snow and cold weather that goes along with it.

Khushboo December 10, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Ohh I feel you…the cold weather is starting to get very old!

honeywhatscooking December 10, 2012 at 8:48 am

awww K.. Oxford street looks GORGEOUS in Dec… I’m loving the umbrella. So so pretty! What screams December? I suppose it’s all the Christmas lights all over New York City, holiday cupcakes, Rockefeller Center, Christmas music, and cold weather! How long are you gonna be staying in London?

Khushboo December 10, 2012 at 1:51 pm

SO jealous you’re in New York…one of the things on my life bucket list is to be in NYC over Christmas time and of course pay visit to Rockefeller Center!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig December 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Haha I love the weather at the moment!! Sure, riding home in the dark and cold isn’t the most fun but for someone who’s never experienced a true winter before it’s cool :) I love winter fashion too!

Khushboo December 12, 2012 at 3:42 am

I just bought a new pair of boots and am LOVING being able to wear them…even if I am freezing along the way!

Pooja December 16, 2012 at 4:55 pm

You’re almost making me cry :( I’m missing London so much right now it’s crazy. Thanks for the lovely photos, remind me of home. I totally agree with the acclimatisation. Last “winter” in Morocco I was like what is up with you people it’s so hot here, but this year, 15 degrees feels cold!! Can’t even imagine how I would feel in good old London

Khushboo December 17, 2012 at 3:22 am

Haha totally get feeling cold in 15*….I sometimes find Bombay chilly! Although 2 weeks after being in London and suddenly 10* feels warm!