A tOATal meal

by Khushboo on November 23, 2012

Hey guys!  So it turns out I got a taste of Thanksgiving yesterday: Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Pie, courtesy of  Indigo Deli:

In case you’re wondering, that white blob is vanilla ice cream, not whipped cream.  This was actually my first taste of a pumpkin-based dessert and I am definitely a fan! But then again, serve me anything à la mode and I’m sold!  Although it might be crazy talk to some to discuss pie & oats in the same post, I’m going to.

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you’ll know that I love oats.   Raw or cooked, sweet or savory, it’s a staple at home.  I’m tempted to say that if I had to choose between giving up oats or chocolate, I’d probably go with the latter.  However oats alone aren’t enough for me to consider it a substantial meal i.e. filling and delicious.  Some of my favorite ways to make my bowl of oats a tOATal meal include:

1) Add in protein: I know it, you know it….including protein in your meal keeps you fuller for longer.  Milk, cottage cheese, & yogurt are both pretty legen-dairy protein additions.  If you’re lactose-intolerant (or just not a fan), try stirring in some protein powder.  If I am eating cooked oatmeal, I always stir in a couple of egg whites.  They add so much volume & creaminess without affecting the taste.

2) Fatten it up: My current favorite healthy fat add-ins include chia seeds, peanut butter, and roasted almonds.  Other options include flax meal, walnuts, seeds, and shredded coconut.

3) Boost its nutrition further: Adding fruit to oats is an easy way to get in some vitamins early in the day: applesauce, pears, berries, banana, peaches…anything goes!  Vitamins aside, fruits are also great way to naturally sweeten your breakfast.

Home made applesauce

4) Enhance the flavor: Cinnamon, vanilla extract, sweeteners like agave/honey, cocoa powder, the list is endless!  I’d be lying if I said that part of my reason to add chocolate Sunwarrior to my breakfast had nothing to do with its flavor ;) !

5) Go the savory route: If the idea of savory oats weird you out, bear in mind that oats are like any other grain.  One of my favorite savory oatmeal recipes is Ris-oat-toSide note: please excuse the terrible Blackberry photo quality…it’s from way back!

And if you’re like my sister who stays away from oatmeal because of its “baby food texture”, maybe oatmeal pancakes are more up your alley!

How do you like your oats?

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 23, 2012 at 10:53 pm

Oh how I miss oats… I used to have a date with them every morning before I found out I was intolerant, so we’re currently taking a break in hopes that we’ll be able to have more dates in the future. I’d have to say that my favorite way to enjoy oats is definitely to cook it with an egg white and banana, and then top it with almond butter and a spoonful of chocolate pudding. It’s seriously like eating dessert for breakfast :D

Khushboo November 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Ah I really feel for you not being able to eat oats…sorry :( …I will eat on your behalf! LOVE the sound of that oatmeal combo- adding in choc pudding is kinda genius!

Brittany November 24, 2012 at 4:02 am

Yummooo to that pie and ice cream!! I like my oats pretty simple, lots of fruit! All of these combo’s look deeelish!

Khushboo November 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Fruit is almost an oatmeal must- I can’t imagine just having it plain!

Jess November 24, 2012 at 7:47 am

Love oats!!! My favourite way is sweetened oatmeal with cinnamon. Best breakfast!

Khushboo November 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Mmm brown sugar & cinnamon oatmeal is the perfect winter brekkie!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 24, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Haha I think I’d rather give up chocolate than oatmeal too! I can eat it every day and never get sick of it. I like to add milk, egg whites, chia seeds, cinnamon, banana, berries (or pumpkin, figs, or apple), soy nut butter and granola to mine!

Khushboo November 25, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Thank you for not making me feel totally crazy about preferring oatmeal to chocolate ;)

Nada (One Arab Vegan) November 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I would DEFINITELY give up chocolate for oats! Organic rolled oats are always a staple in my kitchen – I usually prefer them in overnight or breakfast cookie form but also love cooked oats with banana (another breakfast staple) raisins or dates, nuts/seeds and of course some nut butter.

Khushboo November 25, 2012 at 4:00 pm

It’s weird- I can eat cold oats all year long yet only have hot oats when the weather cools down.

caloricandcrazy November 24, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I haven’t had oats in quite some time for breakfast since greek yogurt, omelettes, and sunflower butter with toast has been appearing in the picture. All of your suggestions sound great! I haven’t had savory oats yet but having it with a sunny-side up egg looks awesome!

Khushboo November 25, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Oh you have to try the savoury oats- its total comfort food!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish November 24, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I absolutely love that you had a complete Thanksgiving meal over the course of the past few days! Next year I think you should do it in the U.S. though. Whatcha think? ;) Even though pumpkin pie isn’t my favorite pie, it’s a definite “must” this time of year. I’m so glad that you were able to try it! Oh, and just so you know, I would have passed zero judgement on you if that white blob HAD been whipped cream. I’ve been known to eat about a half cup in one sitting!

Oh oats…how I want to love them! I’ve never really been a fan, despite numerous attempts at creating OATstanding (har har) breakfast creations. It’s definitely a texture thing for me. However, I LOVE using oat flour in baked goods. It’s actually my go-to because it acts very similar to white and whole wheat flours. So, in short, I DO love oats…so long as their ground very very well. ;) I’m intrigued by your suggestion of ris-oat-o though ; I might need to give that one a try sometime!

Hope you’re having a lovely weekend, girl! <3 xoxo

Khushboo November 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I definitely think a trip to the US next Thanksgiving is in order! Apple pie is my all time fave pie but pumpkin did the trick this time ;) ! Hope you’re enjoying your weekend, Sara!

Ameena November 25, 2012 at 12:39 am

I actually really love granola. I think that’s the only way I like to eat oatmeal these days. Bob’s Red Mill has the best kind!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Khushboo November 25, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I’ll have to look out for that kind! Love granola with Greek yogurt & berries!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig November 25, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Of course I had to read this on the day I give up oatmeal, haha ;) I think oats are my favourite food!! I would seriously rather give up all my treats and keep my oatmeal. My trainer had me on 1/4 cup of oatmeal once, because I refused to cut it out! Boy, did I savour every last mouthful. The next month is not going to be a fun one in my house :(

Khushboo November 25, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Hope Paleo works well for you, Tara. OaTs & yogurt are my main hesitations about trying the plan.

Sonal November 25, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Oatmeal is definitely a staple in my house too! :) My favourite way is to add sliced banana, chia seeds and a dollop of honey. That apple sauce looked delicious!

Khushboo November 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I would definitely recommend making applesauce at home…it’s SO easy and makes a great oatmeal topper!

honeywhatscooking November 26, 2012 at 10:21 am

I’m so glad you had a taste of pumpkin pie.. it’s good stuff. I totally thought the blob was whipped cream. I love oats with cinnamon, banana, peanut butter, and almond milk. that is my FAVORITE combo. :-)

Khushboo November 26, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Banana + PB + Oats = heaven (and I realise that makes me sound like a total health nut but it’s true haha)!