Giving thanks

by Khushboo on November 21, 2012

**Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!! **

In terms of food, I am not formally celebrating Thanksgiving….unless you count my Thanksgiving-inspired dinner from last night.   As for the whole spread, I will be eating vicariously through those who are celebrating ;) .

However I would like to participate in the more important part about Thanksgiving: expressing gratitude.  Although a post alone cannot do justice to all that I am grateful for in life, it’s a start.  So here goes:

1) My family:  Sure they drive me crazy every so often, and like any other family we experience each others’ mood swings.  But at the same time, their love, support, and advice continue to shape who I am.  I know some people view “family time” as a burden but to me, it sounds pretty damn ideal!

2) My friends because they’re the family we choose for ourselves, right?  Acquaintances aside, I am fortunate to have a number of people, both near and far, who I can count on, who care about me and who bring out the best in me.

3) My health & that of those I care about: I might lead a healthy life but I’m fortunate that it’s my choice.  No doctor is suggesting I engage in physical activity 5 days a week; no disease is forcing me to follow a certain diet.  My health is up & kickin’ and that alone is enough reason for me to cherish & nurture it.

4) My job: Although next week is actually my last day at my current job, I am so grateful to have worked here for the last 15 months and have enjoyed every minute of it.  In my entire working “career”, it’s the only job where I know that I am doing my work well.  I don’t mean that in an arrogant way, but more that it has given me so much confidence in my own abilities..enough to make me feel ready to start a venture of my own.

5)  The little things: from rediscovering clothes in my closet which I otherwise forgot about to a good night’s sleep, Instagram, and unintentional puns, it’s these minor details of life which make me smile as I get on with day-to-day life. .

And because I am equally grateful materialistic parts of life:

6) Dry shampoo: Any girl will agree that washing our hair can be such a lengthy process.  For someone who can’t handle an ounce of grease in her hair, dry shampoo has been a godsend for me!

What are you grateful for today?

Alex @ therunwithin November 21, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I have to say I love this but most of all the little things ones. I just need those small reminders sometimes of how grateful I am.

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Sometimes it’s the smallest things which make the biggest difference, eh ;) !

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 21, 2012 at 9:05 pm

I wish you could come over here and have Thanksgiving! :)

I’ve never used dry shampoo… bu that’s quite the endorsement. I could probably use some right about now.

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Haha for real…Batiste need to send me commission :) !

Kym November 21, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Agreed! My husband and I have two planned family time nights, one night with my family and one night with his and we always look forward to it – it’s usually the best nights of the week for us! :) Like you, i’m also thankful that my healthy lifestyle is a choice and that I didn’t wait until i had no choice but to change it!

All the best to you on your new venture! May I ask what it is? :) Whatever it is, i’m sure you will excel!

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Love that you and your husband make time for both your families! Thanks for your good wishes, Kym! I am planning to get into nutrition consulting :) !

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 22, 2012 at 12:54 am

Ehehee! The dry shampoo thing cracked me up big time – I was honestly just thinking about how much I love that stuff this morning. I really, really dislike washing my hair – it takes too darn long – but I agree about not being able to stand an ounce of greasiness. Yes, dry shampoo is a must. But family, friends, and health all come in a pretty close second ;) I actually have no idea what I would do without all of those things in my life… best not to think about that.

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I love washing my hair….it’s just the post-washing which I could do without :) !

Brittany November 22, 2012 at 1:02 am

There is nothing wrong with being a little arrogant with your job!! That’s a GOOD thing that you are doing it right! I neeeeed to try dry shampoo, I swear I am the only girl that hasn’t! I am so very thankful for my friends and family, for my health, and for my calm mind lately! kinda calm..HA! It’s a start!

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Keep “calm” & wash your hair haha! Have a great Thanksgiving!

honeywhatscooking November 22, 2012 at 3:22 am

Happy Thanksgiving K. Make sure you eat chicken! :-)
Chicken Curry sounds damn good.
Agree with everything on your list.. I’m most thankful for my health, happiness, friends, and family. Having a job that pays my bills.

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Haha I just had lunch which involved a looot of chicken :)

caloricandcrazy November 22, 2012 at 4:42 am

Dry shampoo sounds wonderful! I have never tried it before, but looks like the perfect solution for greasy, oily post-workout hair!

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Where hair is concerned, working out doesn’t work in my favor…thank goodness for dry shampoo!

TorontoRunner November 22, 2012 at 5:17 am

I think you hit it exactly right – family, friends and health. So, SO thankful. Running always makes me stop and realize and recognize how blessed I am to be able to walk and be healthy, let alone run. :)

P.S. That is THE exact dry shampoo I use. They got new coconut smells and all types of amazingness now!

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I couldn’t agree more about running…sometimes I need a reality check when I run 5 km and am bummed I didn’t do more…hellooo it’s amazing that my body CAN run that (and more)!

Min November 22, 2012 at 7:11 am

I am thankful for all those things you’ve mentioned..except for dry shampoo. For some reason, it makes my hair feel really heavy…maybe I am using too much? I don’t think I am. Anyway, I love the collage of all your friends! You ladies are so beautiful!

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm

Ah thanks Min, you’re so sweet :) ! Hope you had a wonderful Turkey day :D

ritika November 22, 2012 at 11:02 am

what a lovely post K. i am thankful for family, good health of both mine and my family, a job that does make me want to wake up each morning, books, the internet , the fact that i can choose [almost] how i want to spend my everyday,

Shweta November 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Enjoyed reading the post !! Lol – I’m thankful to you for making my life easier and introducing me to the dry shampoo :P

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I can’t wait for you to actually try dry shampoo- you’ll never look back (and maybe never wash your hair ;) )!

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm

A job that makes you want to make up each morning…that really is something special :D

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish November 22, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Next year, please come join us in the States for Thanksgiving! How about this: I’ll fly over for Dwilawi, and then bring you back with me for our big holiday? ;)

Your Thanksgiving-esque meal looks delicious—especially those roasted veggies. Yum! I too am thankful for everything on this list; especially friends, family and good health. As for the dry shampoo, I’ve actually never tried it! I have many friends who swear by it, yet I have yet to put a drop (powder?) in my hair. New Year’s goal/resolution? ;)

I hope you’re having a wonderful week, girl! Hugs from across the ocean! xoxo <3

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish November 22, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Aaaaand I totally butchered the spelling of DIWALI. *holds head down in embarrassment*
xoxo!

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Hahah the rest of your comment definitely redeemed your misspell ;) ! Hope you had a wonderful, pumpkin-filled Thanksgiving, Sara!

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig November 22, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I just started using dry shampoo two weeks ago and I’m in love!!! I usually only wash my hair twice a week anyway, but it makes it so much nicer :)

I didn’t know you were leaving your job! Have you blogged about this or is it top secret news?

Khushboo November 22, 2012 at 3:27 pm

SO glad I’m not the only one who washes her hair just twice a week- I started to wonder if I’m just gross! I haven’t blogged about it yet but I am planning to start off with nutrition consulting ….fingers crossed!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 22, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I’ve actually never tried dry shampoo before but now I’m curious to try it!

Also I love this post – it’s nice to get a little reminder to be thankful every once in a while! I’m thankful for my friends, family and health too. Also, my education, the wonderful community at my school, the blogging community, and soy nut butter. :D

Khushboo November 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Education is a great one to add to the list! Even though I am not currently in any kind of formal education, I am so grateful that it was always accessible to me!

Corrie Anne November 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

I definitely need to try dry shampoo. I’m definitely most thankful for my family and my new job working from home! :)

Khushboo November 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Being your own boss must be a nice change :) !

Shreya @ rushofendorphins November 23, 2012 at 4:14 pm

That Thanksgiving-inspired dinner does look good ;)

And you’ve made me so curious about dry shampoo – I’ve never even heard of it till I read this post! Hahaha