Hanging over

by Khushboo on November 19, 2012

Hey guys!  Hope you had a great weekend!  Thanks to the whole of Mumbai coming to a complete halt since Saturday (and hence being homebound), I have never been more happy for the week to start….and for normalcy to return.  Anyways politics talk is kinda boring so let’s move on…

Remember the days when we were in school and Sunday Night Blues would be a regular occurrence?  Fortunately the older I get, the less apparent they are.  However with age, a different case of Sundays has been introduced: Sunday Morning Blues.  You know what I’m talking about: waking up on a Sunday morning with a pounding headache hangover.

While admitting that I wake up with a hangover every so often may not be very classy of me, screw it…it happens to the best of us.  In between the quinoa bowls, litres of water & daily doses of apple cider vinegar, I sometimes lean towards the other side of the spectrum and have one drink too many…and then remember that my alcohol tolerance is not as high as I’d like to imagine.  No matter if I stick to the same drink or “line” my stomach beforehand, shit happens.

On those “fine” mornings, I know I’d feel better if I got sweating with a workout….but lack of motivation kinda stands in the way of me & the gym. Plan B is much more realistic: eat my way out of it.  Initially I wake up with no appetite all, but once it kicks in… ooooh it kicks in!  My taste buds are all over the place and besides a bucket load of water, I seem to crave sodium…and cheese.  Enter in a Sausage & Cheddar Frittata.

If that alone doesn’t look good enough try, I’ll give you the nitty gritty scientific details behind why this dish is a hangover goldmine: its protein content.

In the body, proteins are broken down into individual amino acids – the substance that helps detoxify your liver and, in turn, assists your recovery. Alcohol depletes the number of amino acids in your body so replenishing your stock come breakfast time will help get things ‘back to normal’ (Source).

Whatever the reason, all I’m saying is that this definitely did the trick last Sunday!

Sausage & Cheddar Frittata (serves 1)

Ingredients

• 2 egg whites & 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 1/2 cup broccoli florets
  • 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
  • 1/4 onion, sliced
  • 20 g grated cheddar (2 tablespoons)
  • 1 sausage (I used a vegan variety)
  • Salt & black pepper to taste
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180*C
  2. Whisk the eggs well together with milk, salt & black pepper
  3. In a heated skillet, cook the sausage according to the packet instructions.  Slice & keep aside.
  4. Sauté the broccoli over a high heat.
  5. After a minute, mix in the mushrooms & onions and cook until the mushrooms start to release some water.
  6. Add in the sausage and pour over the egg mixture.  As the egg starts to firm up, evenly sprinkle over the cheese and turn off the stove.
  7. Place the skillet in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown

**Serving suggestions: ketchup, mustard & marinara sauce to name a few**

What’s your go-to hangover cure?

And if you don’t drink…

What’s your favourite non-alcoholic drink?

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health November 19, 2012 at 7:46 pm

well said- inspite of eating right and working out religiously, we all have one of those days and i think we need those days so that we are able to break free of regimen and enjoy. Hangovers arent the prettiest thing but oh well- what you gonna do right? Funny it may sound-but i always intense cravings for plain dosa.

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Haha I can understand the plain dosa craving- it’s no different than craving toast right ;) !

Alex @ therunwithin November 19, 2012 at 8:01 pm

I am such an egg fan so that looks amazing. I have never had a hungover morning because I rarely drink but I have had friends that have experienced oh the worst mornings ever.

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Haha you’ve pretty much hit the nail on the head, it really is the worst kinda morning ;) !

Allie November 19, 2012 at 8:16 pm

YES for keeping it open, honest and real as always–We all (well, except those really smart people…) have those nights followed by those mornings ;D My go-to cure is usually a bagel and PB from Panera’s–carbs!–but I have a feeling this frittata would hit the spot too. With lots and lots of water. And a mug of coffee or two.

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Ohh a bagel with PB (or anything) would definitely hit the spot…hungover or not ;) !

Allie November 20, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Haha, very true! When’s the wrong time for PB? Never.

TorontoRunner November 19, 2012 at 8:51 pm

ahhhh the food looks soooo good!
I can barely stomach food on a hangover, so it’s loooots of water!

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Hahaha at least you’re replenishing your fluid levels :D

Corrie Anne November 19, 2012 at 9:02 pm

My favorite all-time drink is Diet Coke. And skinny vanilla lattes. Lol. That frittata looks awesome!

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 3:40 pm

LOVE skinny vanilla lattes…even caramel lattes are pretty amazing too!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 19, 2012 at 10:17 pm

LOL! You are not alone, my friend. I love wine but sometimes it doesn’t love me so much. I swear by a big glass of water mixed with ACV and aminos, followed by B-12, egg, and toast with PB. Simple comfort food. and then a good workout. Gotta sweat it out.

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Despite all the gourmet yumminess available, sometimes nothing hits the spot like plain, simple food!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 19, 2012 at 11:25 pm

Ahh yes… I remember Sunday Night Blues – those were the days when I was always trying to cram as much studying/homework time into the 1 or 2 hours before I went to sleep for the night. Yes, I have a big problem with procrastination. And I’m more than familiar with Sunday Morning Blues as well – no shame in admitting it ;) I think the best thing to do is probably drink a good amount of water (and coffee), keep your belly full of proteins/fats, and get a good workout in.

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I was such a dork growing up- I used to always try & finish my work on Saturday morning so I could be free the rest of the weekend haha!

Shelly November 20, 2012 at 2:26 am

I was definitely on the hangover train this Sunday. My cures are usually coconut water, sleep, and sometimes a little exercise to “sweat it out”. It happens to the best of us!

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Ohh coconut water is a great cure too- gotta replenish those electrolytes!

Brittany November 20, 2012 at 2:55 am

I haven’t had a hangover in over a year, thank godddd, but when I did I would eat anything GREASY the next morning. OR a huge bowl of spaghetti. I always ate my way out of it too! Your meal looks amazing.

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 4:24 pm

What is it about greasy food that tastes exceptionally good when alcohol is in the picture…gotta love those 4 am pizzas ;) !

caloricandcrazy November 20, 2012 at 6:51 am

Wine flu, haha! That frittata looks amazingly good, especially with the broccoli florets sticking out! And I love eggs with ketchup—best way to eat ‘em!

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Apparently eggs with ketchup isn’t as normal as I thought…I can’t imagine any better way to eat ‘em!

Vandana November 20, 2012 at 6:56 am

I dont drink, but that frittata looks awesome and super yummy. I would love to make it, minus the sausage (eggetarian here). Cheers to good food always….

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Have a look for vegan/veg sausages- they’re my go-tos as I don’t eat pork!

Min November 20, 2012 at 7:39 am

Ooh! Yummy! My go-to hangover meal is hands down Pho!! It sure does the trick..and yes I eat it in the morning too ;)

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Haha no shame at all….no foods are off-limits with hangovers :) !

Jess November 20, 2012 at 5:44 pm

Oh I remember those mornings! I’ve not had one in awhile. I’m like you salty, protein rich, greasy foods all the way. And lots of water.

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Water tastes like gold on hangover mornings!

Parita @ myinnershakti November 20, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I was never really able to take down more than 3 drinks without feeling super gross the next day. I’m a lightweight! But I too always found that food is the best cure for a hangover. Mexican was the go to in college but now I opt for something much simpler eggs – almost always work!

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 11:15 pm

You and me both, my friend! Anything more than 3 drinks and I’m just asking for a hangover!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I don’t drink that often, but when I do, I need a big greasy egg, bacon and hashbrown breakfast!

Khushboo November 20, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I like you style, Chelsea: go big or go home ;)

Kym November 21, 2012 at 12:19 am

I don’t drink much anymore but when I used to, my go to food was anything greasy… usually McDonalds. Haha! Today, my drink of choice is something tea based… like bubbletea :P

Khushboo November 21, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I am such a huge tea drinker yet still need to try bubbletea…those tapioca balls have me intrigued!

Honey What's Cooking November 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

so funny, I drank sunday night and woke up with a bad hangover on Monday. I had coffee, but then ate carbs and that helped. Sometimes if that doesn’t work, I just pop an Advil. That sausage frittata looks amazing, and I don’t even eat sausage. I loveeeeeeeee the combo of mushrooms and broccoli with cheddar cheese, and also spinach and mushrooms with a white cheese. looks amazing! :)

Khushboo November 21, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Oooh boy starting the week with a hangover sounds painful! I say that knowing fully well that is what I am in for this coming Monday…coffee & carbs it is!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish November 21, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Eggs eggs eggs! I definitely agree–the best hangover cure. However, only after I’ve “detoxified” with some fruit…and by that I mean a banana. Always! They’re easy on the stomach and provide a much needed “boost” the morning after. :)

It’s actually been years since I experienced a hangover (college, maybe?). I’m such a lightweight (a single glass of wine makes me buzz), so I usually call it quits after one drink. It’s built-in budget control!

Hope you’re having a wonderful week! xoxo <3

Khushboo November 21, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Haha built-in budget control…if only I could find a way for that mechanism to function when I’m out shopping too!

Shakira May 30, 2013 at 2:54 am

My current hangover cure involves driving into town a Friday or Saturday night and leaving my car at the restaurant / bar / club overnight. This forces me to put my Asics on the next day and run to go and collect it (can’t rely on anyone to drop me and I’d rather run than take the tube!). Often I really can’t be bothered but am forced to go… and I always end up feeling 100 times better afterwards! Thank you endorphins!

Khushboo May 30, 2013 at 8:02 am

This cure is pretty genius…if only I had a car :)