Hey guys! Hope you had a great weekend! Thanks to the whole of Mumbai coming to a complete halt since Saturday (and hence being homebound), I have never been more happy for the week to start….and for normalcy to return. Anyways politics talk is kinda boring so let’s move on…
Remember the days when we were in school and Sunday Night Blues would be a regular occurrence? Fortunately the older I get, the less apparent they are. However with age, a different case of Sundays has been introduced: Sunday Morning Blues. You know what I’m talking about: waking up on a Sunday morning with a
pounding headache hangover.
While admitting that I wake up with a hangover every so often may not be very classy of me, screw it…it happens to the best of us. In between the quinoa bowls, litres of water & daily doses of apple cider vinegar, I sometimes lean towards the other side of the spectrum and have one drink too many…and then remember that my alcohol tolerance is not as high as I’d like to imagine. No matter if I stick to the same drink or “line” my stomach beforehand, shit happens.
On those “fine” mornings, I know I’d feel better if I got sweating with a workout….but lack of motivation kinda stands in the way of me & the gym. Plan B is much more realistic: eat my way out of it. Initially I wake up with no appetite all, but once it kicks in… ooooh it kicks in! My taste buds are all over the place and besides a bucket load of water, I seem to crave sodium…and cheese. Enter in a Sausage & Cheddar Frittata.
If that alone doesn’t look good enough try, I’ll give you the nitty gritty scientific details behind why this dish is a hangover goldmine: its protein content.
In the body, proteins are broken down into individual amino acids – the substance that helps detoxify your liver and, in turn, assists your recovery. Alcohol depletes the number of amino acids in your body so replenishing your stock come breakfast time will help get things ‘back to normal’ (Source).
Whatever the reason, all I’m saying is that this definitely did the trick last Sunday!
Sausage & Cheddar Frittata (serves 1)
- 2 egg whites & 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of milk
- 1/2 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 20 g grated cheddar (2 tablespoons)
- 1 sausage (I used a vegan variety)
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180*C
- Whisk the eggs well together with milk, salt & black pepper
- In a heated skillet, cook the sausage according to the packet instructions. Slice & keep aside.
- Sauté the broccoli over a high heat.
- After a minute, mix in the mushrooms & onions and cook until the mushrooms start to release some water.
- Add in the sausage and pour over the egg mixture. As the egg starts to firm up, evenly sprinkle over the cheese and turn off the stove.
- Place the skillet in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown
**Serving suggestions: ketchup, mustard & marinara sauce to name a few**
What’s your go-to hangover cure?
And if you don’t drink…
What’s your favourite non-alcoholic drink?