Five Thoughts For Friday

by Khushboo on October 26, 2012

1) You know what drives me nuts: text lingo.  I don’t mind when people type out “u” instead of “you”, but someone please explain y sum ppl stil type lyk dis.  That being said, I seem to be making the most of Emoji on my iPhone.  As modern as the keyboard is, it’s rather ironic that we’re reverting back to the primitive style of communicating in pictorial symbols.  This article expands on that, and if you’re looking for a laugh look at this use of Emoji symbols to replace the lyrics of Kanye West & Jay-Z N**ga in Paris (taken from the article):

2) During my lower body session on Wednesday, my trainer had me find my squat 1 rep max i.e. the maximum weight I can lift in a single squat repetition.  Despite the post-workout hobbling, I know many of you will agree that watching your body be able to lift heavier over time is empowering to say the least.  I should probably add that during sets, I heard a fellow female gym-goer say she “doesn’t want to bulk up” with weights.  It still amazes that some woman automatically assume that lifting heavy will create an Arnie Schwarzenegger physique.

3) Something old, Something new…and nope you aren’t hearing any wedding bells!  As for something old, I’m a bar hoarder. I always stock up when I travel yet rarely seem to eat them.  I found these Nak’d bars at home from 2011, and don’t know why/how I waited so long to try this flavor: it is GOOD.  If you’re a fan of the chocolate-orange combo, I highly recommend these.  They’re a cross between Jaffa Cakes & fudge.

And my “Something New” refers to this bottle of Nandos Marinade.  Since buying it last week, I have been adding it to everything: grilled mushrooms, chicken, tofu, eggs, you name it!  Although the spice content kills me every time, it definitely satisfies my ongoing Nandos craving.

4) There are some movies which I can watch repeatedly.  I am not sure whether admitting Princess Diaries is one of those movies will do much for my street cred, but I’ll give credit where due.  Between that &  Devil Wears Prada, I love Anne Hathaway’s on-screen presence.  Other movies in that category for me include Father of The Bride, Home Alone, Clueless, and Julie & Julia…old school, baby!

5) And because no one needs to think too hard on a Friday:

And to end on a sweet note, just how GENIUS are these Hershey Kiss Choc Chip Cookies:

Recipe

What movie(s) can you watch over and over again?

Tried anything yum this week that’s worth mentioning?

Parita October 26, 2012 at 7:47 pm

That period picture is hilarious! I hate to admit it, but some months, that is me…to the T.

And I can watch the Mighty Ducks triology over and over again, along with the Sandlot. I am a huge sports movie fan – love the feel good feeling at the end of them! Have a great weekend, K!!

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm

OMG thank you for the mention of Sandlot…I was obsessed with that growing up! Another great one was Air Bud!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 26, 2012 at 8:04 pm

The text talk thing drives me crazy. Do you remember back in the day wHeN iT wAs KeWl To TyPe LyK dIs ? Omigosh thank goodness that was just a phase because even thinking about it makes me cringe. Another thing I won’t miss from the 90’s? Those crazy forwarded e-mails that people sent out to everyone on their contact list because “if you didn’t send it out to 2056 people, your crush will never know you exist or your best friend will die in a horrible car accident.” Pft.

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Hahah just reading the 2nd line of your comment made me die slightly ;)! I was one of those crazy people who sent out those forwards..gotta love the days of AOL ;)!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health October 26, 2012 at 8:06 pm

I love your movie list- I could watch those movies over and over and lets add some more- PS I LOVE YOU and Ten Things I Hate About You. I love all those pictures-very funny!

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Ohh those are great additions…another one which just came to mind is She’s All That :)!

Allie October 26, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Arrrgh, #2 still infuriates me (the “bulk up” comments). I am TRYING MY HARDEST to bulk up, and let me tell you, it’s dang HARD. So if you go in a do a few squats? Yeah, I think you’ll be fine, ladies. And that Rice Krispies graphic? TOO TRUE. Same goes for any “flake” cereal. Other than heritage flakes. Those things are like crispy rocks (in a good way–love that cereal).

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Crispy rocks…milk does NOT stand a chance…hahah!

Alex @ therunwithin October 26, 2012 at 8:35 pm

I hate slang in texts, I refuse to cut them short. I hate ‘u’ the most. I adore rice krispies cereal, soggy and all!

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:16 pm

You’re like my brother- he actually lets his cereal soak in milk for at least 20 minutes so it gets all soggy!

karina October 26, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I hate when people write in short especially with words like ‘v’ instead of ‘we’. C’mon it isn’t so hard to type one extra letter!! Love your images especially the one with emoticons:)

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:16 pm

V r so alyk 😉

Tara @ Sweat like a Pig October 27, 2012 at 12:45 am

Love the female strength training picture! The best is when male clients tell me they don’t want to bulk up…. if it was as easy as eating protein and lifting weights four days a week, we would all look like Arnie!

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Ha never thought I’d hear those words come out of a guy’s mouth! And seriously…if only it was THAT easy!

Brittany October 27, 2012 at 5:24 am

OMG those cookies..YUM! I hateee text lingo. I am so old school..I text JUST the way I would write a paper for college hah.

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

You want to hear something terrible- I’ve received WORK emails where the other person uses text lingo! I was appalled to say the least!!

Katy October 27, 2012 at 6:11 am

I sometimes use “u” and “ur” too but only when text messaging to make it faster. I hate typing with my touchscreen!

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I thought I’d hate it but I actually prefer typing touchscreen on my iPhone…all I’m saying is thank goodness for autocorrect!

Shreya @ rushofendorphins October 27, 2012 at 9:47 am

You won’t believe how many of my friends believe in the you’d-get-the-Arnie-Schwarzenegger-physique-if-you-lift-heavy theory! When I started strength training some time back and didn’t know much about it, even my trainer gave me ‘barbie weights’ to lift. Needless to say I did not see much progress…

However after learning more about it from my brother in my recent trip to Australia, I’m all for heavy weights – I love how they make me feel as well!

Something I’ve tried that’s worth mentioning is definitely plain greek yogurt! I’ve always stuck to buying flavoured ones but the plain ones (esp full-fat varieties which are so hard to get here!) are so thick and creamy it’s wonderful!

Have a great weekend hun!

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I am shocked that even your trainer encouraged you to lift lighter weights…not very credible at all! I love plain Greek yogurt too, especially as there are SO many ways to sweeten it up myself (applesauce, protein powder, & honey are a few favorites)!

Shreya @ rushofendorphins October 27, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Yeah and I was never taught the importance of refueling after a workout as well… It just goes to show that it’s really important to know what you are doing for yourself!

TorontoRunner October 27, 2012 at 11:07 am

You know the funny thing about people typing in text lingo is – isn’t it HARDER to continuously type like that??? I’m always wondering that to myself. lol.

That period timeline is way too accurate! haha 🙂

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm

You’re SO right about it being hard to maintain text lingo…all the more reason to NOT use it ;)!

Palan October 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I cannot believe it took you this long to try cocoa orange! It’s the beat one!
& as for yum this week, I’ve perfected my roasted cashew cheesecake, too yum for words..!

Khushboo October 27, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Oh man…just the sound of roasted cashew cheesecake sounds divine! Recipe?

Ishwar lalchand October 27, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Movie u can watch again n again is An affair to remember . It has everything. .romance, laughter, tears, tragedy.
When u come to chennai v can try out ur type of food n cooking.
Luvs

Khushboo October 28, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Will check out the movie- thanks for the suggestion :)! Come to Bombay soon..will be happy to whip up a few dishes for you, Uncle Ishwar!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 28, 2012 at 6:13 pm

YES! I’m glad I’m not the only one who loves The Princess Diaries! I’ve watched it a million times and I never get sick of it. Also I totally agree about Clueless and Julia & Julia too. 😀 Also Love Actually is on my list too!

Khushboo October 28, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Ohh Love Actually is on my list too! It’s such a feel-good movie, and I always watch it at least once every December!

Sonal October 28, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Anne Hathaway is amazingg! I absolutely love The Princess Diaries, Clueless and The Devil Wears Prada aaand My Big Fat Greek Wedding is also on top of the list 🙂 Ok I admit I do use “u” or “ur” and but I definitely do not “type lyk dis” 😉

Khushboo October 28, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Hahah I am guilty of ‘u’ and ‘ur’ every so often but I can’t handle any more than that ;)!

Ameena October 29, 2012 at 2:19 am

I can…and do…watch The Thomas Crowne Affair over and over. I just want to have his life I suppose? But I do love Anne Hathaway and The Devil Wears Prada is one of my favorites too.

Khushboo October 29, 2012 at 1:22 pm

You know what’s crazy…I’ve never even heard of The Thomas Crowne Affair…adding that to my list of “To Watch Movies”!

honeywhatscooking October 29, 2012 at 10:14 am

omg, it’s so annoying when ppl write lyk dis. SO ANNOYING! OmG, i saw english vinglish today.. so funnY! great great movie! 🙂
a movie i can watch over and over … Pretty Woman for sure.
Hurricane Sandy is coming… we’re all bracing ourselves.

Khushboo October 29, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I loved English Vinglish…so much that I want to see it again! Hope you are staying safe and are well stocked for Hurricane Sandy!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish October 29, 2012 at 11:39 am

Haha, I was the totally un-cool kid in middle school who typed out every word on AIM messenger! I didn’t ROTFLMAO or CUI or even BRB. I knew what all the lingo meant–it was the only way to survive socially–but even at that age, it was a major pet peeve! I’ll admit though, I’m a huge fan of Emoji. Here’s my justification: there’s a difference between cute and ridiculously lazy! And some of those emoticons are irresistibly adorable. 🙂

I’ve never neen Nak’d bars, so I don’t think they’re available in the US, but they look a bit like Larabars? Any fudge-like treat is a winner in my book!

I’m a HUGE Anne Hathaway fan! The Princess Diaries will always hold a special place in my heart (love Julie Andrews too!), but I think The Devil Wears Prada was her best role. As far as my old school favorites go: I LOVE Father of the Bride (1 &2–own both!), The Sound of Music and Mary Poppins (super old school–I told you I’m big on Julie Andrews), When Harry Met Sally, Clueless, and Love Actually (not so old school, but still a favorite).

The Someecard made me crack up because it’s totally me! I only post food-related things to Facebook, and living in Washington DC, it’s quite a contrast from my friends’ political rants! :-p

Hope you had a lovely weekend!! <3 xoxo

Khushboo October 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm

Hahah you definitely sound like you were a cool cat growing up, Sara! Nak’d bars are EXACTLY like Larabars…only with less flavor options! Confession: I have never seen The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins..I know I know, deprived childhood ;)!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Haha! Someone sent me that pancake Ecard in an email a few weeks ago! Love it!

I’m such a sucker for the Princess Diaries! Anne Hathoway has amazing talent! Other movies I can watch over and over: Sweet Home Alabama, Ten Things I Hate About You (my all time fave), and Julie & Julia (the lobster scene NEVER gets old!)

Ugh, it KILLS me how women say that about “bulking up”! Like, have you never even considered the fact that you don’t even have the right hormones to make that physically possible?! I used to work at a nutrition/supplement store in college and would get so irritated with women who would come in asking me all sorts of questions about working out and what to take, but then at one mention of protein powder, they’d be like, “Oh no! I can’t do that…I don’t want to get bulky!” *eye roll*

Khushboo October 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I want to put up a sign at my gym: WOMEN DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TESTOSTERONE TO BULK!!! If I worked at a supplement store, it would have taken me a loooot of restraint to not bark back at those ladies haha!

Gayatri October 31, 2012 at 3:03 am

That period cartoon is hilarious. I shared it with all my friends and how they want to make one that has their husbands’ reactions to those four phases. And I usually buy the Nandos Peri Peri extra hot sauce. Must try this wild herb one soon.

Khushboo October 31, 2012 at 11:36 am

Haha if they ever make one with their husband’s reactions, PLEASE share it with me! And you are so bad ass for buying the extra hot Peri Peri sauce…the wild herb alone makes my eyes water!