Chickpea Tacos

by Khushboo on October 24, 2012

Although I grew up in Nigeria & London, I’ve always been Indian at heart.  After living in Mumbai for 2.5 years,  I’ve definitely become even more Indian:

• My speaking still needs work, but it’s heck of a lot better than when I moved here
  • I can watch a Hindi movie without subtitles
  • Despite my fear for dogs in general, the wandering stray dogs rarely phase me
  • I am a lot less naive when it comes to being ripped off by taxi drivers
  • I’ve stopped converting everything to pounds/dollars and marveling at the price.

Sunset on Marine Drive

While I could go on, I’ll tell you one thing that hasn’t altered:

My dislike towards Indian food.

Okay it’s not really a dislike as such, but let’s just say that Indian is not a cuisine I would voluntarily eat.  There are a few token dishes like daal, dosas and chicken tikka which I do enjoy but for the most part, it’s never been a favorite.  The ironic bit is that I love Mexican food.  I say ironic because Indian & Mexican food seem to share quite a few similarities:

• Both are extremely tomato-based
  • The spicier the better
  • Cumin is a recurring spice
  • Cilantro is a popular garnishing…much to my dismay
  • Most dishes are served with flat-bread (e.g. tortillas/chapattis)

While the rest of my home is eating spoonfuls of chutney, I’d rather be scooping out guacamole.  Although my attempts at Mexican food would be laughed at by the natives, I am nonetheless going to share what I had for dinner on Monday…and last Thursday…and probably again later this week.  As cliché as it sounds, it really tastes like a “fiesta” in my mouth.

Chickpea Taco Filling with Quinoa & Veggies

To some extent, it reminded me a lot of Channa Masala, another Indian dish which I enjoy (as long as there’s no cilantro present).

*Quantities aren’t listed as I just add as I see fit*

Ingredients

• Chickpeas (home-cooked/canned)
  • Taco seasoning
  • Jar of salsa
  • Mushrooms, sliced
  • Black olives, sliced
  • Cooked quinoa/brown rice/taco shells/whatever tickles your fancy

Method

1. In a heated skillet, sauté the mushrooms
  2. Once they are lightly colored and begin to release some water (2-4 minutes), add in the chickpeas & olives
  3. Add in the taco seasoning and mix until combined well.
  4. Stir in a few dollops of salsa, and allow the mixture to simmer for a few minutes.
  5. Serve with your preferred sides

And a lil something to make you smile:

What’s your favorite Mexican?

What are you dressing up as for Halloween this year? Only a week to go!

Kat October 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Ahhh that last picture! What a cutie 🙂
I actually have a mexican dish coming up soon. I put a teaser of it on my blog already. Its DELICIOUS, and my hubbys current favorite 🙂

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Adorable right! My kid might hate me for it but I think I know what his/her Halloween outfit is going to be one year!

Alex @ therunwithin October 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm

what a great recipe that you can make in large batches, exactly what i have been looking for! thanks for a great recipe.

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm

You’re welcome :)! And it’s one of those dishes which probably taste better as leftovers because the flavors have more time to get acquainted!

Parita October 24, 2012 at 8:10 pm

K, what kind of Indian are you!?! I kid I kid! I really miss Indian food but that’s probably because we don’t eat much now and because I’m not that great at making the dishes (yet!). But Mexican reigns supreme on my list of top favorite cuisines as well. I am a huge fan of Mexican cheese, so when I really want to indulge, it’s all about the bean and cheese enchiladas – with a side of guac of course!

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Haha I know I know, I am a terrible Indian…my music selection more than makes up for it though :)! And a side of guac goes without saying!!

Allie October 24, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I’ll come visit you and eat all the Indian food for you! Ohh, I can’t get enough of it–there’s an amazing vegetarian Indian buffet here, and it’s dangerous. All I can eat? Oh yes, I can eat a lot. And I used to like Mexican food…until my office started taking us out to lunch at the worst Mexican place ever. Now I’m burnt out on Mexican/only have memories of bad Mexican food. I do like the Indian/Mexican mash up with chickpea Mexican-Masala.

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Haha oh man my bowels cry at the sound of an “All You Can Eat” Indian buffet ;)!

Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 24, 2012 at 9:12 pm

How have I never thought of the brilliant idea of eating taco filling alongside a grain dish rather than in a taco shell. You, my dear, are genius. I absolutely LOVE Mexican food. Give me salsa, cheese, chips, and guac, and I’m a happy camper 😀 I’d take it above any other cuisine, and although I love it all, I’d have to say that nachos are probably my favourite… I blame the cheese and chips.

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

As processed and terrible as they might be nutrient-wise, I LOVE the nachos and cheese they serve at the cinema…especially with extra jalapenos!

Alexandra October 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm

Awesome recipe girl!!! You need to come live with me here in Texas, I think you’d be an amazing Tex-Mex chef at the local restaurants haha! 😉
My favorite mexican dish is probably fajitas mmmm
Oh and by the way, that taco baby just made my whole week hahahah

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:44 pm

I might have to take you up on your offer for some Tex Mex…I could always do with more fajitas in my life :)!

Brittany October 24, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Mexican is my all time favorite. Hands down!! Indian food is something I have never been much of a fan of either. We know what we like!! I love that babies costume bahaha.

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Screw Indian, we should get together and eat our Mexican hearts out :)!

Kailey October 25, 2012 at 3:26 am

I am currently having a love affair with gauc, salsa and burritos 😉 No shame at all

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I feel like I’m having an ongoing love affair with those 3 ;)!

Miss Polkadot October 25, 2012 at 4:14 am

Hm, I do enjoy both Indian and Mexican cuisine. One of my current favourite dishes, though, are Burrito Bowls! We prepared them for the whole family one of the last times I was at my parents’ and everybody loved them – they didn’t even complain about my sneaky way of including brown rice ;).

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Burrito bowls are one of my favorites too…great way to use up left overs too! Let’s face it, anything covered in salsa & guac has to taste good!

Alexis @ Hummusapien October 25, 2012 at 5:19 am

Hahaha that picture is too cute. I loooooove chana masala so this looks awesome! And I actually looooove indian food too 🙂

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Then I know you will looooooove this recipe 😀

Vandana October 25, 2012 at 6:19 am

Well, if you never eat Indian food a lot, then there’s no wonder you don’t like it… Never fear my dear, there are a lot of cuisines and now the world is so connected, u can eat anything anywhere in the world. I love Mexican too. There was a great restaurant during my college, they used to have about 8 different kinds of sauces or dippings: green salsa(cilantro, lemon juice n green chillies-bet u wouldn’t go near it), normal salsa, guac, sour cream, and many more, we used to have great time eating so much sauces and chips before the main course!!!
Earth fact: India and Mexico (with Africa in the middle) used to be connected about many years ago, check out Pangea in Google… that’s why there are so many similarities in cuisine and weather, both being nearly same in many aspects.

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm

That’s a really interest point about Pangea. I never actually put the connection but makes perfect sense! We really do live in a small, small world!

Krystal@Ms.Random October 25, 2012 at 9:35 am

I’m sorta with you not so much loving our own ethnic food on a everyday occasion, I do get tired of roti/rice etc. (we west-indian’s do like a good “curry chicken” at least every few months) LOL I love me some pasta also. As for Mexican dishes, I really like burrito’s. I am a huge fan of making homemade quesadilla’s, they are so easy and quick, if you have all the ingredients at hand. K you must try making homemade salsa, it is way better than the stuff that comes out of jars.

Ahh you have me craving mexican at the moment………boo!!

Khushboo October 25, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I bet homemade salsa tastes way better but this is one of the foods where convenience trumps :)! Hope you managed to satisfy the Mexican craving!

Sonal October 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Ahhh we are so alike! I have never been a fan of indian food at all unless it is south indian food (dosas and idlys yum) or street food (like sev puri). But to be honest i’m not the biggest mexican fan either – except when it comes to guacamole and nachos! I’m pretty sure I could live on that. My all time favourite is Chinese/ Japanese food. I’ll eat all my veggies if they’re stir fried in soya sauce 😉

Khushboo October 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I know there are so many studies that show how bad sodium is for us but I just can’t do without soy sauce…and whoever said that low-sodium soy sauce is a good alternative doesn’t know what he/she is talking about!

Punam October 25, 2012 at 10:39 pm

he he.. the dish looks yummy, I am sure it tasted great too. And the baby.. oh it’s sooo cuute and lovely..
Glad to have stumbled here..

Khushboo October 26, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Welcome Punam :)!

Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health October 25, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I go through phases with indian food but there are certain things i absolutely love- chicken tikka masala, dosa & pani puri…and you are so right about similarities between mexican and indian food minus the cheese which is love! I cant wait to try this mexican version of chana masala and maybe top it with guac 🙂

Khushboo October 26, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Ohhh definitely top it with guac….avocados here are so hit & miss so guac isn’t always an option for me :(!

honeywhatscooking October 26, 2012 at 1:37 am

you are so funny K. It is scary how much alike we both truly are. I do enjoy Indian food, but not typically outside cuz it’s so darn greasy. My favorite cuisine is MEXICAN too, and let’s not forget Latin. I also love Middle-Eastern quite a lot, but that would be like 3rd place. Love the taco idea with chickpeas, very very creative.
My favorite Mexican dishes are … Chicken Enchiladas, Guacamole.. that’s my standard dish to order at most Mex restaurants. 🙂

Khushboo October 26, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Can you believe that I’ve never had an enchilada…at least not one which I can remember! Clearly that needs to change ASAP! Oh and I love Middle-Eastern food too…that may just be my #1!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

Indian and Mexican are 2 of my favorite foods. It’s all about the cumin and the heat for me.

Favorite Mexican is a really, really good taco from a place most would be scared to eat. Corn tortilla, spicy salsa, and lots of guac.

Khushboo October 26, 2012 at 1:02 pm

By the sounds of it, I am guessing the Mexican restaurant is a shady spot? If so I’m up for trying it…sometimes the “hole in wall” type restaurants always end up serving the yummiest (and most authentic) food!

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish October 26, 2012 at 11:47 am

Oh Khushboo, I’m relieved to know that there is somebody else out there who dislikes Indian food! All of my friends adore it, and can’t understand why I find it so offensive. It’s not so much the flavors, but the feeling I get afterwards! Without fail, my stomach does somersaults (and a few other things) whenever I tuck into curry or masala. It’s bad news for everyone in my presence! Haha.

Mexican is an entirely different story. I ADORE Mexican food, and could eat it every day! Growing up in California, I never thought of it as a “foreign” food because it was everywhere! Quesadillas and salsa for lunch, enchiladas for dinner, sopapillas or churros for dessert. All totally normal. Oh, and let’s not even begin to discuss guacamole, because I could gush about that for 10 more lines. 😉 Choosing a favorite Mexican food is like asking me to pick a favorite child–impossible! However I’m partial to cheese enchiladas and really good fresh fish tacos. 🙂

xoxoxo!

Khushboo October 26, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Haha don’t get me started on masala…my stomach is NOT a fan! As much as I love Mexican, the number of dishes I’ve eaten is quite limited due to the lack of Mexican restaurants here. I would love to try enchiladas & sopapillas….I know I’d be a fan because let’s face it, salsa & guac can make any dish taste out of this world ;)!

Jess October 26, 2012 at 5:23 pm

My husbsnd is obsessed with Mexican food so I have a ton of good recipes. I’ll have to post them sometime. We eat it minimum 3x a week. I actually love Indian food but rarely get to eat it! Italian and Japanese are my faves!

Khushboo October 26, 2012 at 5:58 pm

You & me would make great dining partners..love Italian & Japanese! You can never have too much pasta or sushi ;)!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables October 26, 2012 at 5:41 pm

This is genius!!! you took my two favorite things from both styles of cooking 😉

And I love Mexican food too, so I’m right there with you!

Khushboo October 26, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Hope you give it a shot- it’s yum :)!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Oh my gosh, that baby taco is the CUTEST! Haha!

Favorite Mexican: FISH TACOS!!!! Yum!

I don’t have any Halloween plans this year. I am working on Halloween though…so I guess I’m going as a CAT scan tech! 😉

Khushboo October 31, 2012 at 11:29 am

Hahaha sounsd good to me! Rather than dressing up, I am going down the other Halloween route….chocolate ;)!

Gayatri October 31, 2012 at 3:08 am

I love beans, cheese, guac and sour cream but somehow my favorite will always be chips & extra hot salsa. But this fusion dish you have up here looks pretty delicious too. (Not as delicious as Dhawan though)

Can’t wait to see you in a couple of weeks. We can run on Marine Drive, have conversations in Hindi and NOT eat Indian food 🙂

Khushboo October 31, 2012 at 11:37 am

Can’t wait to see you too…although given your recent running, I am not sure I’ll be able to keep up :)!