As much I’d prefer for it to be the weekend, I don’t mind Mondays so much. It’s the start of the week, and possibly the start of new intentions. If my eating has gone slightly haywire over the weekend, it’s another opportunity to start fresh and set a healthy tone for the rest of the week. While there are various tips to eat healthy, my biggest recommendation is to prep ahead.
One of the most common reasons why people fall short of their goals is due to lack of time & energy: when you’re tired and/or pressed for time, ordering take-out or throwing a ready meal in the microwave seems more convenient. Cut your veggies ahead of time, make a meal plan at the start of the week, pack your lunches the night before…do whatever it takes to streamline the process & ultimately keep you on track.
Health aside, I’ve found that batch cooking is also more time-efficient. By cooking extra portions, I only have to hover over the stove once every 3-4 meals. As a result, I’ve started eating quinoa a lot recently: when it’s right there in front of me, it’s too easy to throw it in a salad or add it as a meal accompaniment.
Using up the last of the quinoa in the fridge, I made a delicious Miso Quinoa & Chickpea Bowl as part of lunch yesterday. I wouldn’t share a recipe that didn’t taste good but trust me, this tasted DELICIOUS. I urge you to try it…go on, do it for Meatless Mondays!
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 6-8 green beans, sliced
- 5-6 broccoli florets
- ½ cup shredded cabbage
- 5 mushrooms, sliced
- ½ small onion, diced
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas
- Miso dressing (2 teaspoons miso paste whisked well with 8 teaspoons water)
- In a large pan, sauté the onions until translucent.
- Add in the green beans and broccoli, and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add in the cabbage, and stir for another minute.
- Throw in the mushrooms and stir until mushrooms are golden and the released juices have evaporated.
- In a separate bowl, combine the cooked vegetables with the quinoa, chickpeas, and miso dressing. Toss well and serve either hot or cold.
You better believe I’ve already cooked up some more quinoa for the week!
How do you stay on track when life gets busy?