Pet peeves: we all have them, I know I could list plenty. For starters, let’s talk about cling film. I know it’s great for preserving food but trying to actually remove it from the box it can be so frustrating. Apparently using it is an art because almost every time I contend with it, it clings to itself, turns to a lumpy mess and then I have to resort to aluminum foil.
And secondly: throwing food in the bin, especially avocados which turn brown & slimy before I’ve had a chance to eat the whole thing. As much as I love all that creamy green goodness, I always feel pressure to eat & finish it as I slice into one…especially when I have an exceptionally ripe one on my hands. I’ve read various tips for storing & preserving avocado such as sprinkling it with lemon/lime juice or some kind of acidic agent once its been cut into. Personally, I stick to what I know best:
1) Tightly wrap the unused avocado in cling film (oh the irony), stone in tact, and refrigerate:
Attempt 1 & 2:
Third time lucky:
2) Include it in every subsequent meal once cut into:
Along with eating avocado with my eggs…
And adding it to my homemade burrito bowls…
I recently used it to make an, dare I say, epic lunch: Chicken Avocado Tartine…because “tartine” sound more gourmet than “open-faced sandwich”.
Whereas traditional chicken tartines are coated with lashings of mayonnaise, this version relies on avocado for its creaminess
Chicken Avocado Tartine
- 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1/3 ripe avocado
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 2 slices of bread, toasted
- Using a fork, mash the avocado lightly
- Except for the bread, mix in the remaining ingredients. Combine well so the chicken is well-coated with avocado
- Equally spread the chicken & avocado mixture on to each slice of toast & serve…or in my case, pack it up & eat at work 😉
Avocado, till we meet again!
What’s your favorite way to eat avocado? I just sliced into a new one so I need more ideas…