As I was traveling, I took last week off from Body For Life. Not sure what my gym options or plans would be in Dubai, fitting in workouts was the last I wanted to worry about. As much as I enjoy the BFL workouts, playing it by ear was definitely a refreshing change. However I’m back to it this week and am recharged to finish the final 6 weeks with a bang. Although I am not going to continue the plan once the 12 weeks are over, I am going to continue with some of the weight lifting principles I’ve learned from BFL…ones that I tried to incorporate into last week’s workouts:
1) Train larger muscle groups first: The smaller muscle groups often support larger muscle groups during certain exercise. Therefore if smaller muscle groups are fatigued first, completion of the larger muscle group exercise will be less effective later on in the workout.
2) Choose 1-2 exercises per muscle group: Before BFL, my weight training days would consist of a mish mash of any exercise that involved dumbbells/barbells/machines: it had no structure and the exercises I completed were merely down to chance. Or in other words, moves which I either found easy or remembered!
In order to optimize my workouts and balance muscle strength between muscle groups, I now set up my routines to include exercises which surely target all muscle groups. Although the same muscle group can be worked with a variety of moves, here are some of my current favorites:
**For a better idea of how to complete each move, click on the exercise name**
- Chest: Dumbbell Chest Flyes
- Back: Bent-Over Dumbbell Row
- Shoulders: Barbell Upright Row
- Biceps: Concentration Curls
Triceps: Seated Overhead Extensions
- Quads: Bulgarian Split Squats
- Hamstrings: Good Mornings
- Calves: Seated Calve Raises
- Abs:Plank a.k.a. “king of abs moves”. In one single exercise, you target your abs, back, arms and legs.
What have you been workin’ recently? I’m all for trying new moves!