A delicious marriage

by Khushboo on November 27, 2011

I’m not even going to beat around the bush.  I went out last night and woke up craving grease…you can fill in the blanks!  Even though my eating habits now and when I was growing up have done a complete 180, there are some foods which my fondness towards only increases with time, such as pizza!  The only thing which appealed to me for lunch today was pizza. Between a slice at California Pizza Kitchen on Friday and Dominoes take-out for dinner last night, clearly I seem to be aiming for a hat trick…or a bigger size of jeans ;) !

Given my recent obsession with waffles , I came up with quite the concoction: a Mexican Waffiza.  As it contained about 20g of protein, it was indeed really filling.  Taste-wise, it exceeded my expectations although I’m not surprised given it was a marriage of my 3 current favorite foods: waffles, Mexican & Italian cuisine.

If you don’t have a waffle-maker, get one stat!  But until you do, just you can use the batter recipe below and make the base on a fry pan as you would an omelet or pancake:

Mexican Waffiza

Batter

• ¼ cup oat bran (20g)
  • ¼ cup oats (20g)
  • 3 egg-whites
  • Pinch of salt

1) Once you beat the heck out of the egg-whites until they are fluffy, combine them with the remaining 3 ingredients.

2) After your waffle-maker (skillet) heats up, coat it with cooking spray and pour in the batter.

3) Cook until ready.

Toppings

*I’ve not listed topping amounts as it’s down to personal preference*

• Jarred Salsa
  • Mushrooms
  • Peppers
  • Taco Seasoning
  • Cheddar Cheese, grated

1) While the base is cooking away, heat up a separate skillet and sauté the mushrooms and peppers until ready.  Sprinkle some taco seasoning.

2) When your base is ready , spread the salsa.

3) Top with the taco-fied veggies and cheese

4) Grill in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden

What do you crave after a night out?

Alexandra November 27, 2011 at 6:44 pm

You are a genius!! I TOTALLY want to make this! :D

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:07 pm

You so should :) !

Brittany November 27, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I love this idea..and I am a grease HOG after a late night. I literally inhale anything and everything covered with grease to reline my stomach!

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Haha “reline your stomach”–> that’s my kinda of justification!

Tracy's Treats November 27, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Good idea! You can have all different combinations on top of that waffle!

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Yes!…and you know I will be experimenting!

Errign November 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I am ALL ABOUT Mexican food (usually just simple tacos or burritos) after a night out, which is comical, since there are no places around me, so I literally am gagging while making it haha.

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Some things are worth the gag :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset November 28, 2011 at 12:14 am

Oh my goodness Mexican food…. so so good! And I absolutely love pizza too, so this is something I really must try eventually :)

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Let me know if you do :D

onehealthymunchkin November 28, 2011 at 7:22 am

I love this idea! You’re so creative!

My roommates and I always used to make quick breads or brownies before we went out for the night. And then we’d come home and demolish them. :D

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Ohh carb overload sounds so good after a night out…and good thinking on the brownies (end the night on a sweet note!)

Sara K November 28, 2011 at 7:24 am

I’ve never tried savoury waffles but this does look quite delicious! For me, my ultimate drunchie/hangover food is a huge chicken shawarma sandwich with tons of tabouli/baba ghanouj/garlic sauce for dippage! This weekend I was out late being a socialite (haha) on both friday and saturday night and as a result NEEDED a shawarma today. Sure enough, this evening I headed to my favourite Middle Eastern grocer and got a humongous sandwich and all the dippings for a satisfying middle eastern dinner (well…i ate it at 4:30 pm since i was far too famished to wait any longer) ;)

Nada (One Arab Vegan) November 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Waffiza – I love it! If I’m going for greasy food after a night out it has to be kebab shop chips, skanky I know. Otherwise I’ll devour an entire pot of hummus with some pita bread the minute I get in.

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Hahah the British ways have rubbed off on you! What do you prefer as your form of dippage- gravy or Ketchup? And hummus is my go-to any time of the day #obsessed!

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Haha if I can eat at 4.30 am, there’s nothing wrong with eating at 4.30 pm! Ok pizza might have some competition- Lebanese food is right up there as the perfect post-night out meal. Do they put fries in your shawarma?? They did so in Beirut but it was first for me…normally the fries come on the side! Clearly the Lebanese know their stuff!

Marijke November 28, 2011 at 6:42 pm

This looks reaaaaally good! After a night out I always crave carbs… it doesn’t matter about what form they come in but chips and hummus or bread usually satisfy the craving :)

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I’m glad that the general consensus is hummus & carbs–> I’m not alone ha :)

Parita @ myinnershakti November 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm

I’ve never had a savory waffle before! This looks super filling and easy to make. Now all I have to do is buy a waffle maker :P

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Yesss it’s such a great investment…or at least register for it :) ! Until then, you can make the base on a skillet!

Tara November 28, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I love the idea of savory waffles! I like anything with cheese and salsa though :)

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Agreed…those 2 fall in the same category as peanut butter–> whatever you pair it with, it’s bound to be good!

forgottenbeast November 29, 2011 at 12:29 am

Okay, everything about this sounds great. Waffle+pizza+Mexican? Now I need a wafflemaker..okay, okay, I could save the bucks and go pancake, but that’s not nearly as much fun, is it?

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Haha my logic exactly- I use the same batter for waffles and pancakes yet I still prefer the former!

Allison (Allison's Delicious Life) November 29, 2011 at 11:58 am

THIS IS BRILLIANT!

Khushboo Thadani November 29, 2011 at 4:14 pm
Maneka Chotirmall December 7, 2011 at 9:21 am

Love the savoury waffles-going to be coming over soon to eat :) After a night out I normally crave carbs and greasy foods-but even an old-fashion peanut butter toast satisfies my cravings!

Khushboo Thadani December 7, 2011 at 11:49 am

Peanut butter for the win—> always fits the occasion!