A couple of Mondays ago, my friend BBM’ed me to to say that she is a ‘rebel’…a rebel for calling in ‘sick’ on a day that she felt completely fine. Rather than fool her boss, I told her she was actually doing her a favor. Ever heard of a ‘mental health day’? Or in others words:
An unscheduled day off from work that involves doing something you enjoy doing, alone or with family and friends.
While it’s tempting to use this as a valid excuse to bunk off work, take an MH day when you’ve hit a wall, stress levels are through the roof, the creativity juices stop flowing and the idea of going to work has stopped exciting you.
Consider this “daycation” as time to recollect your thoughts, get some breathing room and escape the work environment. Although I’m not an employer by any means, I do think that the quality of hours at work overrides the quantity: what’s the point of sitting at our desk every single day for 8+ hours if the work produced is neither productive nor effective?
As these days are expected to energise, insprire, and refocus workers, doing anything related to the job is not allowed. In that case, here’s some of the ways I would spend my
sick day sick-of -work day:
- Go for drinks the night before: Call me a lightweight but I rarely drink on weeknights. Drinking always makes me feel so out of it the next day which is why I ‘save’ it for Friday/Saturday nights.
- Shut my alarm off & sleep with my curtains shut: I tend to leave my curtains open so I wake up to natural light and as back-up if I don’t hear my alarm. Sleeping-in ain’t an issue on my MH day!
- Run: I lift weights, swim, do the occasional yoga class and cross-train but no exercise leaves me on as much a high as running, both mentally and physically.
- Pancakes for breakfast: Sweet carbs which qualify as a healthy and wholesome breakfast…it’s no wonder than pancakes make the world go round…or at least my world !
- Spa day: I’m a girlie girl. I like getting my nails/pedicure/hair done..I’m superficial and I like to be pampered…don’t judge !
- Lunch out: I love the atmosphere of being in a restaurant, the food and the fact that someone is serving me. Let’s be honest: who doesn’t wanna be a lady who lunches…enough said!
- Nap: where sleep is concerned, I am an old woman. My eyes open at the crack of dawn and buy 4:30/5 pm, I am so ready for a little shut eye…it’s too bad my j-o-b tends to come in the way!
You win, your company wins–> sounds pretty genius to me! And to my friend who I know is reading this: go break some rules or dye your hair pink and then call yourself a ‘rebel’ .
How would you spend your mental health day?