*Insert* witty title

by Khushboo on October 15, 2011

Two things before we get started:

1. Check out my guest post at Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life
  2. I’ve added a “Q & A” tab above.  I’m planning on doing a Q&A post soon so if you have any ‘burning’ questions (or just a question in general), please leave it/e-mail it to me and I’ll be sure to answer 🙂

Now let’s get this show on the road…

One reason why I can never be one of those bloggers who post every single meal that I eat is because I would probably lose all my readers.  As much as I love food, my daily eats are pretty boring.  I go through phases of really loving certain foods and then only eat those.  Every now and then, I’ll dabble with a new recipe, some are winners, some not.  This week fortunately produced a winner.

Being the baby of the family, it’s an ongoing ‘joke’ that my mom spoils me to no end.  Perhaps it’s true but I know my fellow last-borns will agree that it comes with the territory.  Before she ever goes out of town, she fully stocks up the fridge/pantry because you know, it’s not like I know where the supermarket is or anything ;).  This time she also pre-cooked some meals for me like pumpkin risotto.  Five words: man, my mom can cook!  Anyhow, rather than just reheat the leftovers, I decide to get creative.  One day pumpkin & goat cheese risotto, the next day risotto pancakes:

You know the latter was just as good, because let’s be honest- how can pancakes ever be bad?!

Risotto Pancakes

• 1 portion of leftover risotto  (for a basic recipe, check out my recipe for broccoli & cheddar risotto)
  • 3 egg whites
  • Goat cheese (or whatever cheese floats your boat), grated/cubed–> quantity is entirely up to you
  • Salt & black pepper

1) In a bowl, whisk the egg whites together with salt & black pepper

2) Mix the leftover risotto and cheese into the egg whites

3) Coat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat with Pam spray or olive oil

4) As you would with regular pancakes, drop the risotto mixture into the skillet

5) Using a spatula, gently press the risotto mixture into a round and fry until the bottom has turned golden brown- about 2 to 3 minutes

6) Flip the pancake over and then cook until the other side has browned – about 2 minutes

*If I had any patience at all, I would have made mini pancakes instead!

What’s the best thing you’ve eaten this past week?

Alexandra October 15, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Dude my everyday eats are pretty dull too, every once in awhile I’ll have something out of the norm, but most of the time I’m in a food rut haha 😉
This recipe sounds DELICIOUS!! Best thing I ate this past week was a cupcake from a local bakery with a ton of Halloween sprinkles heehee

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Yummm- cupcakes from local bakeries are always so much nicer than commercial stores…they have the special ingredient: love 😉

Sara K October 15, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Risotto pancakes sounds soooo good! And how innovative! Ah Khushboo, you would never lose me as a reader if you tried…even if you posted nothing but photos of oatmeal and spoonfuls of peanut butter I’d still find something to say.
Best thing I’ve eaten this week- my dinner last night: A buckwheat crepes stuffed with thyme, garlic, roasted chicken, gruyere, green onions, and tomatoes topped with cremini mushroom sauce. It was HEAVEN. Then I had a nutella/banana flambee grand marnier crepe for dessert.

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Ahhh seeing repeated pics of oatmeal and pb when u aren’t a fan of either is the sign of true friendship :D! Those crepes sound awesome.com!

caloricandcrazy October 15, 2011 at 7:46 pm

risotto pancakes sound wonderful!

Yeah, I can never be one of those bloggers that posts EVERY SINGLE THING I eat…I also have phases were I eat the same thing over a period of time just because I love it *cough* my pot pie phase *cough*

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Pot pie?? I don’t blame you for wanting to eat it over and over again!

Ameena October 15, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Great way to use leftover risotto…although I’m not sure if I’ve ever had any extras lying around. 🙂

The best thing I ate was a wonderful piece of salmon at a restaurant last night. I never make fish myself so I love going out to eat it!

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I love salmon- I went through a phase of never cooking it at home because it stunk….the trick is to bake rather than pan fry it, and if you still find a smell- light a candle!

lovetotrain October 15, 2011 at 9:47 pm

ye i am with you… same food different day! i do try do different things though with the same foods.. and i do try adding in new things to the same foods.. !! but you know.. why fix something if it aint broke.. i like it so i’m gonna keep eating it!!

The Healthy Engineer October 16, 2011 at 12:11 am

This makes me miss my mom’s cooking. It’ll be another month or so until I can feast, but I think that means I’ll appreciate it even more when Thanksgiving comes around.

I know I was bashing you on the pumpkin thing, but that looks really good 😀

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Mwahahah could this perhaps be you warming up to the idea of pumpkin??

Errign October 16, 2011 at 2:20 am

Gosh, I don’t even know, I’ve been exploring restaurants with my mom these last few days and those have all been great!

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I love exploring and trying restaurants for the first time!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset October 16, 2011 at 2:31 am

Wow you are so clever with this recipe, what a great way to use left overs! I have the same food all of the darn time, but i genuinely enjoy what I eat at least 🙂

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Eggs are a wonder food- can totally transform a meal!

Tracy's Treats October 16, 2011 at 5:31 am

RISOTTO pancakes?! Genius idea.

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm

🙂

spinach&spice October 16, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Pumpkin risotto sounds so so so gooood. Love when Mom’s cook 😀
And I love your fashion guest post! too cute

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Thanks so much ! 😀

Tara October 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I wish my mom was that good of a cook. Everyone always talks about how much they love their mom’s cooking, but my mom really isn’t into it! Those risotto pancakes look delicious. I think the best thing I ate this past week is the white chocolate pumpkin bars that I made!

Khushboo Thadani October 17, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Oh man if only we could trade pumpkin foods- those bars sound excellent!

Manek Chotirmall October 19, 2011 at 10:07 am

Your Mum’s risotto looks delcious 🙂 Excited to try this recipe shall ask Sunaina to replicate for me! The best thing I have eaten this week is definitly pasta mixed with a tomato/pesto sauce loaded with vegtabes and topped with labneh 🙂