Bananarama

by Khushboo on April 26, 2011

Funny story: for a while during my weight loss, I limited myself to only a couple of bananas per week.  One week on Weight Watchers, I gained weight despite sticking to the plan down to a T and my ‘genius’ of a leader suggested it was due to eating too many bananas (seriously??😯 ).  Clearly she was bananas!!  Fortunately I came back to my senses eventually and am back on eating a banana daily- love ’em!  High in sugar maybe but they’re also:

• High in fiber–> peace out constipation
  • Rich in energy: they are definitely my go-to snack before a workout
  • Natural cure for a hangover and act as an antacid for people with nausea/heartburn
  • Ideal for people overly stressed/working late.  Bananas are high in potassium (this one fact I learned from Honey, I shrunk the Kids ;)), which helps normalise heartbeat.
  • Mood enhancers
  • Ultimate fast food: bananas are cheap, easily accessible and are quicker to eat than a greasy burger
  • Can replace sugar/butter/oils/shortening in baking

Anddd if you’re blood type is B, bananas are highly beneficial for us- win!

If you like black, spotty, ripe bananas as much as I do you’ll want to try out this banana bread.  I worked around this recipe but made a few changes to make it more healthy.  Also you could pimp it out with ingredients like raisins, cranberries, nuts, choc chips, etc.  I went plain Jane so that my toppings could be indulgent ;).

Vegan  Banana Bread

Ingredients:

• 1 c. oatmeal
  • 1 c. whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c. brown sugar
  • 3 bananas, very ripe, and mashed well
  • 1 tsp. vanilla essence
  • 3/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk (1/4 cup soy milk and 1 tsp. lemon juice)
  • 1/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/4 cup chia seed gel (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 9 tbsp water)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180*C.  Lightly grease a loaf pan.
  2. In a measuring cup, add the curdling ingredient (either lemon juice or vinegar) to the soy milk and let sit for 5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas and stir in the applesauce, curdled milk mixture (buttermilk), vanilla, sugar, and chia gel.
  3. In a separate mixing bowl, add the flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Parita @ myinnershakti April 26, 2011 at 4:24 pm

I am a B+…good to know that bananas are my fruit! I eat one banana everyday and it’s usually in my smoothies. YUM-O! 🙂 I love your food factoids…always a fun read!

Hungry Dancer April 26, 2011 at 7:19 pm

I LOVE bananas!! This recipe looks awesome!!

Khushboo Thadani April 27, 2011 at 7:19 am

It’s a keeper!

April @ Grits and Granola Bars April 27, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Yum, I love bananas! You keep eating your bananas girl, they are so good for you 🙂

pawsitivelife April 27, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I also avoided bananas when I was loosing weight. My pet peeve is when people say something like “oh I had half a banana.| What happend to the other half? Now I realize how good for me they are love em

Khushboo Thadani April 28, 2011 at 8:47 am

Haha don’t hate me but I am one of those people who eat half a banana at a time. The other half goes in the fridge for later consumption. It turns a bit black but I’ve never been one to discriminate ;)!

Palan May 9, 2011 at 11:02 am

I made this recipe over the weekend, but instead of a loaf tim I divded the mixture into muffin cases & served with pots of honey and nutella.
They were all just devoured at the work coffee morning!
Noone could believe how healthy they were – a resounding success!
(I substituted the chia seads for black & white seasamie seeds – worked really well)

Khushboo Thadani May 10, 2011 at 9:26 am

So glad that it was a hit! Nutella makes everything better instantly!

Maneka Chotirmall June 30, 2011 at 6:03 am

This was excellent! Really hit the spot 🙂 Loved how moist+soft the bread comes out!

spinach&spice September 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I used to not eat bananas because I thought they would make my fat.
Seriously, who were we? hahah.
But I love this post 🙂 Bananas aaare high in potassium! Honey I shrunk the kids also taught me that 😀

Khushboo Thadani September 22, 2011 at 10:24 pm

We were loco! Hahah I can’t believe you said that about potassium- I owe that tidbit to Honey I Shrunk The Kids too! 🙂