Funny story: for a while during my weight loss, I limited myself to only a couple of bananas per week. One week on Weight Watchers, I gained weight despite sticking to the plan down to a T and my ‘genius’ of a leader suggested it was due to eating too many bananas (seriously??😯 ). Clearly she was bananas!! Fortunately I came back to my senses eventually and am back on eating a banana daily- love ’em! High in sugar maybe but they’re also:
- High in fiber–> peace out constipation
- Rich in energy: they are definitely my go-to snack before a workout
- Natural cure for a hangover and act as an antacid for people with nausea/heartburn
- Ideal for people overly stressed/working late. Bananas are high in potassium (this one fact I learned from Honey, I shrunk the Kids ;)), which helps normalise heartbeat.
- Mood enhancers
- Ultimate fast food: bananas are cheap, easily accessible and are quicker to eat than a greasy burger
- Can replace sugar/butter/oils/shortening in baking
Anddd if you’re blood type is B, bananas are highly beneficial for us- win!
If you like black, spotty, ripe bananas as much as I do you’ll want to try out this banana bread. I worked around this recipe but made a few changes to make it more healthy. Also you could pimp it out with ingredients like raisins, cranberries, nuts, choc chips, etc. I went plain Jane so that my toppings could be indulgent ;).
Vegan Banana Bread
- 1 c. oatmeal
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 3 bananas, very ripe, and mashed well
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk (1/4 cup soy milk and 1 tsp. lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup chia seed gel (1 tablespoon chia seeds + 9 tbsp water)
- Preheat oven to 180*C. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
- In a measuring cup, add the curdling ingredient (either lemon juice or vinegar) to the soy milk and let sit for 5 minutes. In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas and stir in the applesauce, curdled milk mixture (buttermilk), vanilla, sugar, and chia gel.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the flours, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined. Pour into loaf pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.